leaving husky in the house or bring to work.

steevo

Ok i am thinking ahead a little bit here as i dont pick my baby up until 20th Jan but my question is this. I am planning to be bringing my husky into work with me as the office space is massive. However i dont want to fall into the trap of getting her not used to being left alone. Should i bring her into work right away or leave in house and come home to let out for toilet during working hours? I also dont want to get her into a routine and then brake that by bringing her into work which is why i am wondering if i should just start from early on. i am only 0.5 miles away from my house so popping back is not an issue.

What would you guys do?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

We were home with ours for the first few weeks (think we got her at 10weeks) then did small trips leaving her alone before eventually both leaving her so we could go to work. She had a dog door to use but wouldn't go outside to go toilet for ages. We found the potty training took a while but eventually one day it just clicked. I'd be reluctant to bring her into work and setup a routine that won't continue

I think it’s important to stay with your pup in the first few weeks to establish routines etc. To avoid separation anxiety issues in the future its best to build up the time you leave your pup slowly, starting by leaving for a few minutes multiple times in the day. Husky’s are a breed that like to be with us and around us, they also get bored quickly and if left for long periods of time become destructive and will also try to escape. Husky proofing is essential if left at home, the first few months are easier but when their prey drive kicks in you’ll start to encounter different behaviours usually from around 4-5 months. This breed require mental and physical stimulation to ensure no destructive behaviour, I hope I’m not scaring you! Just to mention if you’re not already aware, rule of thumb for walking pups is 5 mins per month of age, so an 8 week old pup can be walked for 10 mins a few times during the day, anymore than this can lead to joint issues when they’re older. Congratulations on your new addition, please post pics.

Sent from my iPad using Husky Owners

Yep like the others have said, I'd leave her home , they can be prone to separation anxiety which can be difficult to train out, just slowly build up the time away from pup , make sure she's got plenty of activity toys aswell to keep her busy

hi thanks again for the advise and the 5 min walk per month is something i wasnt aware of so thank you for that.

Im a bit confused tho. if its better to slowly build up time away from her then how do i get round work? And why is leaving her home better than bringing her with me? im just trying to establish a plan before collecting her amd also to go down the correct route of training from an early age

It’s a personal choice whether you take her to work with you, it’s prob better with her being so young that she’s with you. Dogs quickly get used to routines so if you take her with you as a pup she may suffer with separation anxiety if you leave her at home at a later date, so before that happens you could work on leaving for short periods at weekends if your not working, it just makes the transition easier for when she’s left when she’s older.
Positive reinforced training works best, praise when she gets it right with lots of love and patience and more patience. Train her with the view of how you want her to be as an adult dog. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

I took time off work so I could ensure she was settled in before leaving her alone. It might not be detrimental taking her to work with you but it'll also make toilet training and rule setting just that much harder given you'll be managing this in two separate environments

If your able to take her to work and that would always be aloud, then I would take her.

Get a crate with safe things for her to chew and play with, take her out every hour to two hours. *this will help with crate training and potty training* This will also help with early socialization and proper behavior at an early age. 

Babies also sleep a lot so I would place a cover over it so she can have quite time to nap and co-works will know not to bother her.

Then when you are home (after work and on days off) have a crate and you feed her dinner in it. While she is eating leave the room (go get ready for work) but stay close. When she is done let her out. When you put her in or take her out don’t make a big deal out it. Then you can start SLOWLY leaving her for longer periods while you are home and then start taking short walks (walking to the mailbox or to a close stop sign then SLOWLY increase the time)

*This can also be done in a puppy proof room*

I am not a big crate person. However, if she has a stay at the vets or if there is an emergency, it is always a good idea to get them at least ok with a crate.

I broke my pups feedings up into 4 feeding from 7weeks- 4 months then 3x from 4 months to 6 months. Then 6 month on 2x. If your portions are too much she will have runny poop. Just cut back her portions but keep how many times the same.

I love the idea of taking her. I think there is way more pros then cons.

Archived