White fur turning pink

Chula

Hey y'all, I haven't been on the boards in a long time, but I have a mystery health question.

Chula has always struggled with allergies/hot spots. Every summer she gets them, usually on her paws, sometimes on her lady parts. They are yeasty and smell not good. Switched her food to Orijen a few summers ago and the lady parts infections went away, at least. 

That said, I boarded her for five days in September and noticed when I picked her up that she had a patch on her hind leg, under her butt floof, that was red, bumpy, and losing hair. The hair she did have was pinkish in color. Figuring she'd licked herself while stuck in the kennel, I tried topical stuff I had on hand to treat hot spots. While she had no itching and no other signs of discomfort, it didn't get better and the spot continued to grow, so I took her to the vet. They tested her and said she had minimal yeast/bacteria, gave me some wipes, and sent me on my way. The fur in that area has gotten a little bit better, but it is still orangish-pink and it is not growing in all spots where it fell out. She had also developed a spot near her snout and one on her paw, but those cleared up really quickly with the wipes and the hair has grown back perfectly.

Then last week, I noticed a new spot on the side of her leg. It is again pink, but it doesn't appear to be losing much hair. It's just rusty colored. I have been using chlorhexidine spray and an anti-yeast shampoo, but no luck. I noticed another spot on her elbow after picking her up from daycare yesterday, again in this case it does not appear to be losing hair, just rust colored and there were two tiny sores that looked like the beginning of hot spots. I have not seen her licking herself at all, except for normal grooming.

Is this something happening at the kennel? I don't understand. She is not itching. She is not lethargic. Her food/diet has not changed. She's on a daily probiotic. The vet seems unconcerned, but I'm worried and it looks terrible. Maybe I need to get a second opinion from another vet.

You can see the spot on the side of her leg in this picture. It literally went from no spot to big, rusty spot overnight. One day she had nothing, next day she has pink fur. 

If you've had any similar issues, I'd appreciate your experience! Thanks!

ETA - I also have attached a picture of the back of her leg from before I took her to the vet. I don't have a more recent one of the way it looks now, which is similar, just with pink/orange fur.

IMG_20181110_111015.jpg

IMG_20180925_083155.jpg

This is a complete shot in the dark and I have not experienced this exact thing... 

Her pigment is pink, mix a yeast/bacteria to it with her PH and I could see it being that color.

My pups have been having a hell of a time with itching. While going through the slow process of finding out what is causing it, I started using a 50/50 solution of Apple Cider Vinegar and water to deal with any yeast that may be the cause.

It seems to really help and there has been no hot spots, loose of hair, and the Oder has gone away. The only down side was they love the taste of it and instead of itching they licked each other. 🤨 

But yours isn’t itchy 🤔

As far as daycare. Uggg. 

Older metal fencing (kennel wire) I have seen white fur turn into copper. (I had a white mare that would rub up against fencing and it looked a lot like that). But to show up at home 🤔 maybe a delayed response to it.?.

2 hours ago, 2Huskyfun said:

This is a complete shot in the dark and I have not experienced this exact thing... 

Her pigment is pink, mix a yeast/bacteria to it with her PH and I could see it being that color.

My pups have been having a hell of a time with itching. While going through the slow process of finding out what is causing it, I started using a 50/50 solution of Apple Cider Vinegar and water to deal with any yeast that may be the cause.

It seems to really help and there has been no hot spots, loose of hair, and the Oder has gone away. The only down side was they love the taste of it and instead of itching they licked each other. 🤨 

But yours isn’t itchy 🤔

As far as daycare. Uggg. 

Older metal fencing (kennel wire) I have seen white fur turn into copper. (I had a white mare that would rub up against fencing and it looked a lot like that). But to show up at home 🤔 maybe a delayed response to it.?.

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the first spot was from being stuck in the kennel while it was wet and rainy. They probably just didn't bother to dry her off properly and she got yeasty. I'm super hesitant to kennel her again and have taken to using a dog watcher instead but it's so much more expensive when your dog needs an hour walk every day.

As for daycare, unfortunately she needs it. She is a super unhappy dog when she doesn't get that interaction twice a week. Walks don't cut it, she needs play. 

I've heard good things about apple cider vinegar so maybe I'll give it a go, otherwise I'm going to have to try another vet I think. 

35 minutes ago, Chula said:

Thanks for your thoughts. I think the first spot was from being stuck in the kennel while it was wet and rainy. They probably just didn't bother to dry her off properly and she got yeasty. I'm super hesitant to kennel her again and have taken to using a dog watcher instead but it's so much more expensive when your dog needs an hour walk every day.

As for daycare, unfortunately she needs it. She is a super unhappy dog when she doesn't get that interaction twice a week. Walks don't cut it, she needs play. 

I've heard good things about apple cider vinegar so maybe I'll give it a go, otherwise I'm going to have to try another vet I think. 

I am in the same boat. I have been keeping mine home from daycare the last two weeks and no matter how long of walks I give them they are still insane.

Good luck. Hopefully it turns out to be nothing major

• 2 weeks later...

So, just as an update to this in case anyone else ever runs across a similar issue - I purchased Banixx spray on amazon and it seems to have done the trick. Her hair is growing back in white, but it looks sort of funny because she has white roots and pink tips at this point. The fur on the back of her leg is coming in, too. I have absolutely no idea what is in Banixx, but it got good reviews and it worked for Chula. Hopefully the bald spots don't come back, as it's kind of expensive to use every day multiple times a day.

Archived