feeding help!!!

thelaw2409

First of all, welcome to the site. Now then 'eating out of the same bowl' ohmy.gif . Would definately not recommend it, really asking for trouble. I have 3 dogs that have their own bowls and places, all are non aggresive around food, but I would never feed them from the same bowl.

Another point is that if you do feed them from the same bowl then how would you know if one is getting more food than the other???

i wud completely seperate them u dont want ur older dog doing any damage too ur pup maybe get stair gates across ur door ways that way they can still get used 2 being near each other but not bein able 2 get 2 each other - its gonna take a while for ur older dog 2 get used 2 ur pup but once he is i think u will b able 2 have them eatin in the same room - wudnt recommend them eatin from the same bowl tho

welcome to the pack we need pics ov ur furbabies btw :) lol

i have two boys and there is no chance in this world they can eat in the same room let alone the same bowl, but my girl she can eat with any of them and out their bowls an they dont bother. i have to feed the boys in totaly diff rooms so they can't see each other, or we will have blood an lots of it xxx

Hiya, Adam, welcome to the pack :wave:

I have 2 huskies, one so laid back he'd fall over & the other, well, she's a husky, enough said! Neither is food aggressive, I can take a bone off them, hold it while they eat, no problem, but I wouldn't feed them from the same bowl .... that may just be asking for trouble.

I would be inclined to agree with the above posts & advise to feed separately so you know who is eating how much & there is no confrontation over food at least until the 2yr old has accepted the pup. Are they crate-trained? You may not have to be so drastic as to feed in different rooms, but in their crates, maybe?

I'd go with the above, feeding out of the same bowl is asking for trouble, one could also eat a lot more than the other and as you probably know - if you overfeed a sibe it squirts out the other end blink.gif

If you crate them maybe feed them in there? I agree deffo seperate rooms though.

Welcome to the pack by the way :) look forward to seeing you around and getting to know you and your pack :)

I've always been a risk taker. So at the risk of being redundant, I'd keep them separated during feeding. By the way, Adam, welcome to the Pack. Nice to see you concerned enough to ask questions. Post up some pics when you have time and you get the feeding issue resolved. Good luck on that. I think the advice above is spot on.

My last Sibe had that problem, and I could never figure out a way to fix it. Even if the bowls where 20 feet apart, he wouldn't let other dogs eat until after he ate first. If they tried to eat, he would attack them. Now, after he finished eating, he was fine, and would allow other dogs to eat, and he didn't go after their food.

In the end, I just fed them in different rooms are at different times, when one wasn't around.