FOOD?

Spacey

Hello I am just wondering if anyone can give me some advise about my Jasmines food? I think I have tried almost every brand of dry dog food and she just doesnt like it. I have tried mixing it with canned food and still nothing I have tried works. Any suggestions please!!???

Hi, I changed to raw for both of mine as they had dried as pups and started to become fussy. You could start by introducing lamb ribs and lamb or beef mince, just be aware of how much her daily amount should be for her weight. There are ready prepared raw meals on the market too if you don’t fancy making your own. Good luck 😀

Marley is 22 kilos  -  I feed raw  -  I give him between 280 - 350 grams of food once a day  - I don't weigh it now  just do it by eye).   It is extremely rare for a husky to overeat.  When they are full they will just leave the rest  (unlike Lunar who always waits to see if Marley is going to leave anything  -  and if he can get to the bowl before I do).   If he looks like he is putting on weight - cut the food down a bit.

I get most of my meat from a local shop specializing in raw feeding.   However there are many companies on line who sell raw feeds ready made if you cannot find a shop local to you.   I've been raw feeding for over 10 years so I do not use the ready made meals but make the food up myself   (cheaper than ready made).    On average I suppose I spend around £60 a month for two dogs.    The beef mince is from my butchers,the sirloin chunks from Purely Raw £3.50 kilo.   I get chicken carcases from my butcher at 60p a kilo  - shop bought are a few pounds.   I get whole lamb side ribs  (about 10 individual ribs on each one) and again pay 60p per kilo for them from my butcher,  I usually get 20 kilos at a time so I don't run out  (freeze whole rib sides two at a time  as they take up less room - then just take one bag out put in fridge and cut off a rib as needed)   -  https://www.purely-raw.co.uk/   this is the shop website so you can check out the prices from  there.

I normally give two different meats and one fish daily  -  e.g.   today they had beef mince, pork chunks, a whole sardine each  (about 8" long), plus a raw egg each, 1/16th teaspoon of spirulina, and about a 1" square of coconut oil flaked in the dinner.   Then as treats they get the lambs ribs - which make up the bone portion of their meals  - usually about three a day each over a few hours - but more if they can nag them out of me.

When I first started raw feeding I really panicked about whether they would get all the vitamins and minerals they needed  -  and frankly when I first started out they were not  - but as I researched and learned it just became second nature and I rarely think about it now as I have a 'check list' and I just even it out over say a week  -   Vitamin E & K together with iodine are usually the ones missed  - so twice a week they get a raw egg each or some salmon  - which contains all three.

If you want to pm me with any queries I would be happy to help as far as I am able.

Think you pretty much got your answer there :D 

Another thing with food, is to remember they will eat when they are hungry. As a general rule, do not leave food down. You need to put the food down initially for them to eat, and if they dont eat, remove it until the next meal time. Some are fed twice a day, ours only eat once a day. That will really depend on the husky. But removal if they dont eat will always be a good step to getting them used to "Oh, its food time, I need to eat"

My husky can't resist fresh fish and kangaroo! Sardine is super fishy and kangaroo quite gamy, so if you ever find yourself needing to revert back to dry food I would give those flavours a go. From what I hear in the dog park not many dogs turn their nose up at a can of sardines. And fresh kangaroo is probably easier for me to get because I'm from Australia.

Also, I only feed Mayo once a day in the evening, when the humans are having dinner. She doesn't ask for food during the day. But I don't know what life stage, activity level and health condition your Jasmine is in so that might not be practical for you.

Archived