The silent treatment; the cold shoulder

KimHuskyMom

I had to go out of town for a family  member's funeral, and I boarded Olaf at the local pet resort for a few days.  I was so anxious to go pick him up before he had to spend a 3rd night there, but, oh boy, he was mad at me! he basically yelled at me when I picked him up, then completely ignored me once I got him home! 

He definitely had an attitude and it lasted a good 16 hours or so for him to make up with me. He would still follow me around the house, but if he caught me looking at him, he would look away. If I said his name, he would not look at me. If I tried to pet him, he would turn his head or walk away. He finally forgave me and made up with me, but I was upset that he was mad at me.  Have your babies ever done this to you, when you had to be away from them?

I'm glad everything is back to "normal" now.  :-)

Kim

KIM~ If that was OLAF's first time to be boarded, he may have been confused & scared with what was happening. (When we first boarded our babies, ALINAH screamed/howled the entire time. But the second time, they said she didn't cry at all & both dogs were great boarders.)

So next time you board OLAF, I bet he'll do very well and probably not ignore you. I believe dogs "gain more confidence" the second time around because they know the boarding facility, staff, etc., and that they'll be picked up to go back home.🤗

But I do get the cold shoulder if I forget to give the dogs their special treat...I get ignored oh my gosh!!😂🐺🐺🌞💜

It was heart-breaking. I'm glad he's back to himself now.  I will be going away for a few days over the summer, and I made arrangements with a very nice lady who provides care in her home, one dog at a time. I took Olaf to visit her and he seemed very comfortable there with her, and she has experience with huskies. So, hopefully, that will be a better experience for him. 

My boy Blaze sulks every time my mum goes out with my dad , she used to be in and out of hospital a lot sometimes staying over for weeks having operations and dad would always take her so now whenever they go somewhere Blaze thinks she's not coming back n sulks , if me and my mum go out he's fine lol 

get the cold shoulder everytime I coma back in the house and do not give them their treat for watching the house in their alloted time....LOLOL

We'll be travelling for a week after our wedding at the end of the year, and have been quite worried about this! If Olaf would act like that in only 3 days... Mayo was adopted from the shelter; we're worried that if we board her she'd think she's being abandoned for the second time! We might look into getting a house- and petsitter to soften the blow.

Vickie,

Aww, I'm sorry, I hope I didn't make you worry.  Olaf was adopted from a shelter, too. (Well, a rescue group got him out of the shelter, then he came to me.)

I think Olaf was mainly upset that his routine was interrupted. He's fine now and is back to himself.

Kim 

16 hours ago, Vickie said:

We'll be travelling for a week after our wedding at the end of the year, and have been quite worried about this! If Olaf would act like that in only 3 days... Mayo was adopted from the shelter; we're worried that if we board her she'd think she's being abandoned for the second time! We might look into getting a house- and petsitter to soften the blow.

Both of ours are adopted from a shelter and actually enjoyed spending 3 days in kennels our daughter got married (usually our son dog sits) so don't worry x I think Olaf was just being a monkey lol

3 hours ago, goingsolo said:

Both of ours are adopted from a shelter and actually enjoyed spending 3 days in kennels our daughter got married (usually our son dog sits) so don't worry x I think Olaf was just being a monkey lol

I will always board my dogs... because I cannot trust hoomans.😂 I have seen more people in my neighborhood dogsitting for their friends, and the dogs escape right out the front door. And these are people who own dogs themselves!!  (Maybe this just happens in my neighborhood LOL!!)

So I will always trust where we board ours, which happens to be at our Vets.  Once dogs get past the first time of boarding, they do much better the second time and have gained confidence to stay again.

🤗🐺🐺💜

On 4/11/2018 at 12:21 PM, KimHuskyMom said:

It was heart-breaking. I'm glad he's back to himself now.  I will be going away for a few days over the summer, and I made arrangements with a very nice lady who provides care in her home, one dog at a time. I took Olaf to visit her and he seemed very comfortable there with her, and she has experience with huskies. So, hopefully, that will be a better experience for him. 

• 2 years later...

Your dog is extremely intelligent, really. I say that because it seems that your dog has the ability to not only feel upset, but also knows how to show it to you. Our pets give us unconditional love. They are home waiting for us to arrive. They always have time for us…always! Whatever activity we are interested, they are interested too. Whether it is a bike ride or hanging out with an owner that has the flu, your dog is up for the adventure. That's why I think we should always do everything we can to show them our love, even after they pass away. I've found at https://headstonepics.com/pet-memorials a way to make sure I will honor my dog's life after he passes away by building him a ceramic memorial.

Archived