Prey drive: unfortunate ending

petertmartin

Harlow dug this hole and stole a chicken from out neighbours.... it's a good reminder/information for others that their prey drive is incredibly high. She did this between 8:30am - 4:00pm. The hole was about a metre wide and dug under two fences very deep. The neighbours were great as their dog had eaten a chicken before but nonetheless not an enjoyable clean up (still finding pieces in the yard luckily she burried the carcass whole though). She wasn't bored as I'd left all her toys out and had her off lead at the park for 40 minutes that morning. 

IMG_20180409_175107.jpg

Sounds about right. Ours will dig at the first opportunity if its something that they want to get hold of. I'm sure people don't believe us half the time when we mention that they have a high pray drive lol

Watch to the end for a surprise......this video shows just how good huskys are at earth moving and tunneling under the video link is some more text

Yes there really are TWO dogs in that hole they also have room to turn around and moove past each other. I have told a story about  huskys that dug a HUGE tunnel network in some ones Garden and out into the next door neighbours garden. I think you will understand just how good bad a determined husky can be at escaping by digging. you need to fit a fence at least 6 foot tall and then dig a trench 5 feet wide and to a depth of about 18 inches and lay wire mesh down and or add hardcore large rocks not small hoging chunks. Make sure the ground lay is attched to the fence then back fill. even then this is only as good as you are at checking for holes Under sheds and  thick bushes as a den/tunnel entrance can be hidden from view by the sneeky furballs

they can dig far and stealth like in my garden and then it takes me a good 20 mins to put it all back only for them to dig it all out again...and now one of our neighbours has bought some chickens I have to watch them so that they will not dig under the fence...

1 hour ago, petertmartin said:

What I want to know is how did she get the chicken back into our yard stupid bird must have willingly walked into the tunnel of doom

I am guessing she went next door grabed the chuke and brought it home with her looking at the hole i am guessing  she went under the fence on her side. you are lucky she only came home with one she could have spazzed out and killed the lot in one go

You need to pack the hole  with BIG rocks the bigger the better things the size of 2 or 3 house bricks stuck together at least bigger if you have them  them fill in around them small stones they will just pick up and move it has to be to big for a husky to move

On 4/11/2018 at 8:27 AM, PaulG said:

Watch to the end for a surprise......this video shows just how good huskys are at earth moving and tunneling under the video link is some more text

Yes there really are TWO dogs in that hole they also have room to turn around and moove past each other. I have told a story about  huskys that dug a HUGE tunnel network in some ones Garden and out into the next door neighbours garden. I think you will understand just how good bad a determined husky can be at escaping by digging. you need to fit a fence at least 6 foot tall and then dig a trench 5 feet wide and to a depth of about 18 inches and lay wire mesh down and or add hardcore large rocks not small hoging chunks. Make sure the ground lay is attched to the fence then back fill. even then this is only as good as you are at checking for holes Under sheds and  thick bushes as a den/tunnel entrance can be hidden from view by the sneeky furballs

HOLY HUSKIES!! (Get it??!!🤣)

Maybe it's an illusion...the black dog goes into the hole and comes back out red...maybe there's a hair stylist dyeing fur!!😂

This video is crazy hilarious & incredible what Huskies can do!! It's their little hideout den and was very cost effective to make!!😂 I love the wild west music🎶playing in the background!!

AWESOME VIDEO!!🤗🐺🐺🐾🐾

the name  Tom Dick and Husky is a joke from the famous movie attached to the music  The Great Escape theme

Tom Dick and Harry were names given to Tunnles by allied Prisoners at a WW2 camp and it features in a true story where a good portion of the camp escaped in one night and a lot were later killed by the SS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalag_Luft_III#The_Great_Escape

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Escape_(film)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057115/?ref_=nv_sr_5

on a side note though Huskys like to dig dens and when they do the way they spread earth makes a huge amount look like a small amount and you will be unable to see just how much earth they have shifted, what looks like a small amount may actulay be a couple tonnes in weight  dug out of a HUGE underground hole  that could extend well beyond your property bounderies and could upset people next door if it damages  something. on the other paw they might see the funny side and help you fill up the tunnles when they walk across the lawn one day and drop into a 4 foot deep hole when the ground caves in under them

2 hours ago, ARMANI & ALINAH said:

HOLY HUSKIES!! (Get it??!!🤣)

Maybe it's an illusion...the black dog goes into the hole and comes back out red...maybe there's a hair stylist dyeing fur!!😂

This video is crazy hilarious & incredible what Huskies can do!! It's their little hideout den and was very cost effective to make!!😂 I love the wild west music🎶playing in the background!!

AWESOME VIDEO!!🤗🐺🐺🐾🐾

i am building a fenced in area around my house and most of the fence runs along a concrete patio so no chance of digging under there. about 20' goes across soft dirt so it would be easy for sarah to dig under. i plan on taking solid concrete core samples[6" x 12"] and line the fence with a row on both sides of the fence in that area. if she tries to dig under them, they would fall into the hole she dug. they weigh around 25 pounds each so she couldnt move them easily. someone can do the same with rocks.

i finished the fence and put sarah in it. when i went outside the fence, she carried on like i was beating her. she tried chewing through the chain link, tried digging up the concrete and tried to squeeze between the bottom of the fence and the patio. when i walked out of sight, she started howling. she doesnt like it at all. she doesnt carry on like that when i lock her in the house and leave. the fenced in area is around 3000 sf. with 1/2 of it dirt and grass so its not a cage.

Archived