Does it ever end!!!!!

Jo

So, Amys last bloods came back as clear of her pancreatitis ....... however, her stool sample has come back showing campylobacter so she is now on 4th lot of antibiotics and cant go to doggy day care as it can be passed on - to humans too!

I think we are near the £1000 mark on vets bills (£142 to test her poo!!!!!)

Thank god for insurance!!!! [emoji15][emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Its the same bug that causes food poisoning in humans 40-50% of dogs have it in their gut but Amys pancreatitis has tipped the balance and brought it on! Antibiotics should clear it up at least she’s not feeling poorly with it

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Campylobacter nearly killed my daughter and she’s unlucky enough to have had it twice. First time it was undercooked chicken livers, 2nd time something in Morocco, chicken highly suspected. I guess the antibiotics are her best chance of beating it, I’d recommend a little kefir or live yoghurt but some dogs (Luna for example) like dairy but it liquidises the bowel contents so perhaps not lol. Boiled egg perhaps, you need something with a slow transit time, maybe some dried meat, it will absorb some moisture as it passes along so might help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have recently bought some kefir grains and am on the 2 nd batch so Amy has started getting some daily she will just drink it so hopefully it will help to keep her gut snd Pancreas healthy
I dont think the campylobacter affects dogs as it does humans, dogs can have it in the gut with no symptoms so thankfully Amy isnt feeling poorly

So sorry Amy is still going through the wars.   Great on the kefir - it will really help repopulate her gut with healthy bugs - the antibiotics will play havoc with the good bacteria as well as the bad.    When you get a surfeit of grains - she can also eat them as well   -  my dogs love them.

Campylobacter is one of the bacteria’s found in raw or undercooked meats I think? Have certainly come across the term on one of the many food hygiene courses I needed to do for work.

Hope she feels better soon, kefir can be pretty good at settling loose bowels if used correctly. (I tried too much and triggered a herx reaction which wasn’t very clever of me as it had the opposite effect of what I was trying to achieve! [emoji31][emoji1]).

Campylobacter is the commonest 'food poisoning' bacteria in humans which, usually, dogs will fight off with no problem, unless their immune system is compromised as in poor Amy (and usually not a great effect in humans - sorry to hear of the opposite, Luna-tic). Get well soon, Amy

Archived