Dental work, teeth cleaning

KimHuskyMom

How often should your husky have a teeth cleaning?  To my knowledge, Olaf has not had his teeth cleaned, and he will be 4 years-old this summer. (I've had him for 6 months now.) I was going to schedule a dental appointment for him, but I do have a few concerns. I understand they have to use anesthesia, and he would be at the vet's office all day. I realize this is standard procedure, but I'm a nervous mom, and he's a nervous dog.  Has anyone gone through this? Is it routine - is there any need for me to be nervous? 

Thanks....

Kim

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your input. I sent an e-mail to the rescue I adopted Olaf from to get their advice and recommendations, too.

I just want to be sure I am doing everything I need to in order to take care of my little fluff-ball.  ;-)

I had ARMANI's teeth cleaned a few months ago at the Vet. It was expensive, but it's worth it (just my opinion). They do use anesthesia, but it isn't a heavy dose like they would give performing surgeries, etc. I do brush ARMANI/ALINAHs' teeth once/twice a week with "doggy" toothpaste. But ARMANI had a bit of buildup on two teeth that I couldn't clean off. I don't want tooth decay to start bcuz infections can happen, go unnoticed and/or cause illnesses some times.
I like the idea of beef cubes or frozen carrots...anything like an ice cube mine love!!
Good luck with OLAF Baby!![emoji16][emoji847]

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Husky Owners mobile app

I do have dental coverage in my Wellness Plan with the vet. It will cover the cleaning, but nothing else. It just so happens that they are running a special this month, where X-rays are free, so that's why I thought I should get him on the schedule.  I'll give it some more thought, and I'll see what Olaf's rescue group has to say. I am sure they would support preventive maintenance, but I want to hear their opinion and what they do for their dogs. Thanks again!  :-)

I took Kodiak in last year for a teeth cleaning and the vet said he didn't need it, and he is between 7-8 years old.  I feed mine baby carrots and also use the doggie toothpaste to brush their teeth every week or two.

Hmmm....Olaf is only 3 and his foster mom said she does not think he needs to have his teeth cleaned yet.  Maybe the vet is trying to oversell care, much like a car mechanic would do.  (No offense to vets or mechanics, of course.)  ;-)  But, the vet did suggest it, and I am paying for a dental cleaning in my monthly Wellness Plan, which I now see is a bit of a waste. I shall not renew my plan once the contract is up.  The vet also recommended I order DNA testing for Olaf to be sure what breed(s) he is, even though the rescue group is basically 99% sure he is Siberian Husky/GSD. I may need to shop for a new vet; although I cannot fault this one for recommending preventive care. But, I don't want one who tries to sell unnecessary procedures, either.

Thanks again for the advice and opinions; it gives me a lot to think about. 

Kim

My 7-year-old husky came with rather stained teeth but no bad breath on adoption. We started feeding her a piece of dried kangaroo tail every morning 5 days a week and the plaque is gradually coming off. The vet doesn't think we need anything beyond that, which is a relief because I'd rather my dog didn't have to go under unnecessarily. :)

Vets do a thorough cleaning, do x-rays, scrape getting all plaque off and in-between teeth. They look for teeth that may be infected and more.
A groomer is limited to what they can do bcuz they don't have the schooling & licenses like Vets do. Plus, the dogs are awake. Groomers aren't usually dental techs though they can brush a dog's teeth like we can.

Vets do a thorough cleaning, do x-rays, scrape getting all plaque off and in-between teeth. They look for teeth that may be infected and more.
A groomer is limited to what they can do bcuz they don't have the schooling & licenses like Vets do. Plus, the dogs are awake. Groomers aren't usually dental techs though they can brush a dog's teeth like we can.

I was asking the OP specifically what they were doing for her dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived