What color do you think this puppy's eyes will be?

cmpatterson

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, BingBlaze n Skyla said:

You got her before she was 8 weeks old? :/ she's very cute but honestly the breeder doesn't sound like the best

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I agree about the breeder. In the USA it is illegal to sell a puppy before it is 8 weeks old unless you are also taking the mother with you. 

She went to the vet at 6 weeks for her first set of shots and then was driven to me from Mississippi. I live in California. We got her the day before Thanksgiving. I can't change the fact that I got her before 8 weeks old; just need to figure out how to deal with the whining in her crate issues and the biting.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Husky Owners mobile app

She is so CUTE!!! [emoji173]️[emoji179][emoji178] How in the world to say no to that face hahaha [emoji173]️[emoji179][emoji178][emoji178][emoji179][emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji171][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]🤗 I love the Agouti Coat [emoji177][emoji179][emoji178][emoji173]️[emoji171]

Sent from my Pixel using Husky Owners mobile app

Hi, she’s gorgeous and please don’t take this as me being judgemental, I’m honestly not.
If a pup leaves mum before 8 weeks, at least, they miss out on important social skills from mum, and later on they sometimes suffer with behavioural issues. I hope this won’t be the case for you, this is prob why she’s whining to, it might be an idea to let her sleep in your room for a week or 2 just so she doesn’t feel so lonely. I hope you sort it out [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

As above, the young age away from her mother will probably cause separation anxiety. No you can't change it, but maybe this is the sort of question you should have been asking instead of what colour eyes she will have

I actually did ask the breeder. She said she didn't let her dogs leave until 7 weeks and I told her I didn't expect anything less than 8 weeks. Then, the vet visit happened and she wanted to deliver the puppies before the long Thanksgiving weekend to give the families time to bond.

I actually did ask the breeder. She said she didn't let her dogs leave until 7 weeks and I told her I didn't expect anything less than 8 weeks. Then, the vet visit happened and she wanted to deliver the puppies before the long Thanksgiving weekend to give the families time to bond.

If the breeder called the shots on that one then it's on the breeder. I do understand why she did it. Get them socialized to the new family. She was 7 weeks yes?? That's not that bad. Not ideal but not terrible either. She knew they where already payed for my guess is she has all of her puppies sold before they come out. And gave them to the families a week early to socialize to the family. [emoji4][emoji4] She probably was leaving going to another family members for the week and figured it would just be easier to do it this way. I've witness this happen before honestly it could be a lot worse. I have friends who are husky breeders and one of them had to leave to go family. All huskies spoken for. She called the families told them to come and get the puppies the week early so she didn't have to worry about them while she was gone. I honestly don't see anything wrong with it.
Now normally letting them go a week early don't do but for something like that yeah go ahead. [emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]🤗🤗🤗

In this case I think it’s a matter of lesson learned: don’t use this breeder again, they’re not that great. [emoji53]

Moving forwards, the whining in the crate when you go out is likely either separation anxiety or not used to being in a crate? Crate training can take a while, starting with short periods of time, leaving treats, oh! And a ticking clock in their bedding can help them settle at night as it’s supposed to replicate the mother’s heartbeat. I wouldn’t suggest leaving them alone with a clock incase they break it up and eat it [emoji85] creating s den by enclosing it with maybe a towel or blanket over the top, putting something in there with your scent in can help. White noise when you go out can also help.

Leaving for short periods of time and gradually increasing is usually the way to go with separation anxiety but it can take a while to overcome, particularly at such a young age.

The thing about eye colour. You probably will be surprised but there are actually some people who will actively go out to buy a pup just for blue eyes. Makes no sense to me as let’s face it health and temperament are more important but you’d be surprised how superficial some people out there can be. Even worse you will find some breeders are breeding for specific colours too! They’re usually the byb’s/pet breeders/puppy mills of this world and are best avoiding as they’re not placing much importance on improving the breed and health testing/planning the best suitable pairings like ethical breeders do.

That’s my little rambling over with, lol.

Good luck x

In this case I think it’s a matter of lesson learned: don’t use this breeder again, they’re not that great. [emoji53]
Moving forwards, the whining in the crate when you go out is likely either separation anxiety or not used to being in a crate? Crate training can take a while, starting with short periods of time, leaving treats, oh! And a ticking clock in their bedding can help them settle at night as it’s supposed to replicate the mother’s heartbeat. I wouldn’t suggest leaving them alone with a clock incase they break it up and eat it [emoji85] creating s den by enclosing it with maybe a towel or blanket over the top, putting something in there with your scent in can help. White noise when you go out can also help.
Leaving for short periods of time and gradually increasing is usually the way to go with separation anxiety but it can take a while to overcome, particularly at such a young age.
The thing about eye colour. You probably will be surprised but there are actually some people who will actively go out to buy a pup just for blue eyes. Makes no sense to me as let’s face it health and temperament are more important but you’d be surprised how superficial some people out there can be. Even worse you will find some breeders are breeding for specific colours too! They’re usually the byb’s/pet breeders/puppy mills of this world and are best avoiding as they’re not placing much importance on improving the breed and health testing/planning the best suitable pairings like ethical breeders do.
Good luck x

In case they break it or eat it hahaha lol [emoji23]🤣 they will break it and eat it hahaha [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Completely agree with you [emoji2]🤗🤗[emoji171][emoji177]

Good luck x

Thank you for the insight! I'll try putting something with my scent in there. I had this Snuggle Buddy puppy toy in there the first week that had a simulated heartbeat in it but she didn't seem to take to it.

The eye color post was from when I was looking at the puppies originally. I did an introduction post on just Gemma but this topic seems to be getting more traffic.

Also, are puppies like babies in the sense that they won't sleep at night if they nap several times a day? I try to keep her up so she'll be tired and calm down quickly at bedtime but she would rather nap throughout the day.

14 minutes ago, cmpatterson said:

Thank you for the insight! I'll try putting something with my scent in there. I had this Snuggle Buddy puppy toy in there the first week that had a simulated heartbeat in it but she didn't seem to take to it.

The eye color post was from when I was looking at the puppies originally. I did an introduction post on just Gemma but this topic seems to be getting more traffic.

Also, are puppies like babies in the sense that they won't sleep at night if they nap several times a day? I try to keep her up so she'll be tired and calm down quickly at bedtime but she would rather nap throughout the day.

Puppies need their naps.

7 hours ago, cmpatterson said:

Puppies need lots of naps and sleep. Even now when he is 9 months old Aris has two longer naps during day. He sleeps all night, wakes up when I get up and goes to sleep much before me. Just let beautiful Gema sleep when she wants and as long as she wants. :)

Edit: when he was as Gema he only was up 1 - 2 times during night to pee and poo

Puppies are like babies in a sense. They have a mad run around and then nap, mad run around then nap some more. Then as they grow they’ll be awake more during the day and stay asleep more during the night. It is sooooooo tiring in the early weeks and that part is exactly like having a newborn baby [emoji23]

Just to mention that the golden rule for walking is only 5 mins per month of age so as not to damage joints. When she’s 3 months you are able to do 15 mins per walk but you can 2-3 of these in a day, I’ve found a routine works really well for my 2 they’ve come to know when it’s walking time. Only mentioning it as some people I know have over walked pups just to tire them out.

Archived