Having some success until......

chelseafan

OMG!!! I’m training Luka to ‘settle’ outside on walks and to be fair we’ve had nearly a week of him walking past other dogs with no growling or pulling and then this total bleeeeeep let’s his fluffy poodle type, (quite cute really just has an idiot for an owner) walk right up to both of them whilst I’m waiting to cross the road and he was walking behind me, Luka nearly jumped out of his skin and started growling, hackles up, the fluffy one reacted and the idiot was smiling and walked on. He’s done this before a couple of months ago, it took a while to calm Luka down and last night he’s back to growling on the walk. Back to square one with settle, I know it’ll come eventually for Luka but maybe I should accept he’ll always be a little nervous.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, so sorry this happened again to you! There are just too many bleeping butt nuggets out there in the world that cannot think faster than a turtle[emoji217] OR just don't care! They don't realize the huge prey drive our Huskies have. I would also have more than a few words to say to him.
LUKA will get a lot better with your training & eventually catch on. LUKA is doing awesome!!🤗[emoji252]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Thanks Angie, he did it again outside the butchers on Monday, I’m starting to think he’s not all there, he’s going to get his dog hurt one day. He ignores me when I try to speak to him so there’s not a lot I can do apart from moving away from him quicker when he extends his lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

• 3 weeks later...

What a complete arsehole this fella sounds like, you should certainly not accept it!! First of all rather than starting a confrontation see if you can walk another route that is just as advantageous... Alternatively if not I would go on a walk without your dog and if he happens to show up on the same route again I would most definitely pull him to the side and inform him that what he is doing, whether consciously or unconsciously is bang out of order and advise him of what you believe to be a reasonable compromise... If he doesn't agree then warn him he might happen to surprise your husky one day whereby it may react and you can not be held responsible, and that it makes you uneasy. Obviously you would both love to avoid a confrontation but you can't just let him bully you away from where you walk your Husky... maybe ask if there are certain times he walks etc.

If no compromise then you have to stick to your guns as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimately, you are responsible for your huskies actions whether provoked or not regardless of whether they are on a leash or off. So if your pup harms that mans dog there could be consequences. It is horrible that he has no consideration for the well-being of his own dog or that of others. I agree that a talk is in order and needs to happen. If you can not come to an understanding, then you will need to make a decision. You could take an alternate route. You could bring a muzzel to use just when you see that dreadful man approaching for the sake of your dog. Or.... You could bring a friend and have them shoo off the other dog as it approaches yours so they don't get to close. He may grow tired of someone shoo-ing his dog off like that Everytime he approaches you and remember your conversation in which you wanted to compromise and want to revisit that idea. Just a few things to think about. It is good that you continue to socialize him. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. 💞🤗💕

I have to say that I don't agree sorry , her dog is on the lead . She's clearly trying to teach him not to react , no dog should be greeted by another dog without verbal permission from the owner Wether that dog be on lead or off , if offlead that owner should have full control over their dog , she shouldn't have to muzzle her dog if people respected their space , also the law is going to favour the dog onlead rather than the dog offlead should anything happen as the dog on lead is classed as under control the offlead dog will be classed as out of control , my girl is fear reactive towards other dogs and will protect herself if need be , I do my best to avoid other dogs but I won't change my route , ill walk on the grass out of the way or ill stand aside till they pass but I shouldn't have to change my walk or cut it short to avoid people who can't control their dogs ;) and they shouldn't have to either

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

I would use a muzzle only if I felt Luka couldn’t be trusted not to bite another dog, but he’s not at that point and I think it’s down to that particular owner to control his dog, when he sees us he lets his flexi-lead out so his dog has a run at my 2. We’re all responsible for our own dogs not other peoples, some dog owners don’t seem to have a clue about dog on dog aggression even tho their dog might be the friendliest most loving dog to their owner and other people doesn’t mean it will be to other dogs. My responsibility is to keep my 2 safe, and that particular owner has no interest in talking, I’m not confrontational, but he’s left me with no option. I vary my walks but I’m not prepared to avoid a walk because of an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

You make some good points. Ninety-nine percent of the time, and if your dog is on lead, you & dog are in control. (That 1% may be if you entered onto someone's property or took your dog up to meet someone, and the dog on lead bit someone, etc.)
But I would stick to my guns and NOT change my route either and not have your dog wear a muzzle. By wearing a muzzle, a dog would not be able to defend/protect himself on or off lead esp if he got loose.
I know everyone has their own views so do whatever you feel is best for your situation. Praying you have no more run ins.[emoji120][emoji252][emoji274]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

I was giving options that could be used in that situation. I was not promoting the use of a muzzel. But it IS the responsibility of every dog owner to have control of their dogs while out in public and around humans and other animals. She said the other dog was on a lead also but was on a long lead. I would not want my dog to be responsible for hurting anyone. I am not there to know whether I think it could or couldn't happen. That is not for me to determine. I am just simply giving friendly advise on a friendly forum and leave it up to her to determine what is the best coarse of action for her situation. I personally would cringe at the thought of putting a muzzel on one of my dogs, but if I thought for one second there was a chance they would bite a human or hurt another dog, it would be on them in a second. I live in the USA and things are maybe different here. People sue people for the stupidest things and usually win. And dogs are locked up if they bite or attack around here and then even put to sleep. So you can disagree all you want BlingBlaze n Skyla, but I will always give options to my advise. Yes the other guy walking his dog is a horrible pet owner with no respect for others but my concern is not him if he won't come to reason. It is on Luka's continued training.

I'm not telling you to not give your opinion ,I was just giving mine at that is that I disagree , now I believe ALL dogs should be muzzle trained should they need to use one , both my dogs are however I will not use one on walks as I believe my dogs should have a right to protect themselves if attacked (again) they would never bite a human n if they did then of course appropriate measure would be taken to prevent that risk happening but with regards towards other dogs after what skyla went through i will not stop my dogs protecting themselves and other dog owners should have control of their dogs , that includes and even more so! When on a flexi-lead they're just as bad as offlead dogs imo and still shouldn't be allowed to just approach another dog without verbal consent from the owners

And so u should , and i stand behind mine :) the fact were in a different location in the world means we will obviously have a difference in opinion due to how our country/state/city etc deal with certain aspects in life such as this

I just wanted to add/say to BOTH of you that it is GREAT you both care DEEPLY about your DOGS being SAFE and for the well-being of others. (We unfortunately have to deal with selfish, uncompassionate people in the world who don't give a care in the world about others...they need smacked once or twice and probably still will not get it or understand...(just kidding about smacking them but they NEED IT, but I hope I made ya laugh anyway LOL!) You both have great advice based on your experiences and knowledge and both are huge dog lovers and you have BIG SWEET HEARTS!!
[emoji171]🤗[emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

I just wanted to add/say to BOTH of you that it is GREAT you both care DEEPLY about your DOGS being SAFE and for the well-being of others. (We unfortunately have to deal with selfish, uncompassionate people in the world who don't give a care in the world about others...they need smacked once or twice and probably still will not get it or understand...(just kidding about smacking them but they NEED IT, but I hope I made ya laugh anyway LOL!) You both have great advice based on your experiences and knowledge and both are huge dog lovers and you have BIG SWEET HEARTS!!
[emoji171][emoji847][emoji171]

~ANGIE, ARMANI & ALINAH~

Angie, your posts always make me laugh/smile [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Archived