Raising a pup with a 10month old

gunsworth

do u crate train? crate training wud b good for both dogs specially the pup as when hes had enuf he can go in his crate (his safe place) to have a rest from her or u can put her in her crate 2 calm her down,

when play gets abit too rough seperate them till they r both calm then let them back 2gever again they will soon learn rough play means no play

let us no how u get on

Yes I do crate them, mischa not so much anymore. I think her problem might be that it will be another couple days befor her stitches come out from getting spayed and I cant run her like I normally do. but good idea on seprating them when they get too rowdy, i thin they will be better when mischa is back to getting exercised after Friday. And yeah I know how they are playing I have a friend with 2 huskies and have seen it plenty, but there have been a couple time where Mischa has really taken him down by the neck, first time was around food I didnt realize she didnt finish so I understood that.. Thanks for the input and I will continue to monitor them well and do the timeouts when neccesary

Yes I do crate them, mischa not so much anymore. I think her problem might be that it will be another couple days befor her stitches come out from getting spayed and I cant run her like I normally do. but good idea on seprating them when they get too rowdy, i thin they will be better when mischa is back to getting exercised after Friday. And yeah I know how they are playing I have a friend with 2 huskies and have seen it plenty, but there have been a couple time where Mischa has really taken him down by the neck, first time was around food I didnt realize she didnt finish so I understood that.. Thanks for the input and I will continue to monitor them well and do the timeouts when neccesary

Seperate like has been advised but I would also feed them in their crates seperatly so they cant disturbe each other and get food aggressive. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

well the feeding is under control, they actually seem to know now to stay away from the other while eating.

But now the tables have turned and little Lincoln is now the problem. he is very territorial over his food (I have been working on him like I read in another post, by petting him and removing the food when he growls and I dont give it to him until he sits and stays, actually has been doing stay pretty wel, just stated teaching him it the other day)

But then today he was chewing a treat (similar to rawhide) and he growled at me when I pet him, when I went to take it away he went NUTS and started growling and snapping at me like crazy, all I could think to do was restrain him a bit then lock him in his cage. He has some serious aggression, Im new to this, Mischa was an angel growing up compared to him

It's completely natural for a dog to be protective of his food/treats/toys etc..., so don't be alarmed.

I would suggest feeding straight from your hands. When you notice he is becoming more comfortable, you can start petting and praising him while you're feeding him. Once things start going well you can let him eat from the bowl again. If you want to approach while he is eating from his bowl, bring something better than what he is already eating and add that to his dish. Same goes for anything he has. If you want to take it from him, exchange it for something better. Never be upset, aggressive, angry, etc... Leave feelings out of the equation. Just be "matter of fact" about it. For example: If he starts to growl while you are feeding him, just walk away with the food. Don't be upset about it and yell "NO". He'll eventually understand that growling/aggression means no food. There is no need to further reprimand him for it.

Don't rush it. Training takes as long as it takes. Some dogs will come around quickly, while others may take months, weeks, or even years.

Great advice silver not alot i can add to that but please dont put in the cage you dont want him to see this as a bad place, do as been said walk away and take the food, even if it means he does not get fed again till his next feed it will do him no harm and he will soon learn. xxxxxx good luck

I agree with Silver's post, go back to basics with the feeding for a while, Lincoln will get the message, he may just be copying what Mischa did to him. One thing I would say is don't use the crate as punishment, I know it's very tempting to use it when he's been 'bad' but if you are crate-training, it might knock him back a bit. Take the chew off him & walk away without a sound or eye contact. Then when he's calm, praise him. :)

Guest snowdog

I agree with the seperating advice, with my three, i had supervised playtimes, usually when a sibe gets too ruff lol, the pup will yelp and this will cause the other sibe to stop (usually) with my three whenever one yelped they stopped, but if play got too boysterous i stepped in , only by gently moving pup, not the sibes! as i did not want to discourage play so i simply moved pup and let them carry on, then put em all in they crates for a sleep, till next round, have fun with it i love to see them play and also watch the others teaching them as they ruff n tumble smile.gif

just read the feeding bit, ye i fed from the hand when neeko got protective over food, and only allowed how much i wanted her to have, then slowly went back to the bowl feeding , they all go through it, their just learning , but i always feed mine in they crates as this makes a nice place not a place for punishment and also keeps em all seperate at feeding time so as we have no fisty cuffs over their food biggrin.gif i also feed whoever sits first for me rather than in order of age, i did used to do that but i find if i feed them as to who acts on my commands first they all behave betterbiggrin.gif

good answers, thanks. I actually started the hand feeding, but he has those razor pupy teeth and he eats so frantically, i will give that another go for a bit. what i have been doin is petting him while eating (worked for mischa when she was a pup, but she was not this bad) and whenever he would growl I would take it away and make him sit/stay before I gave it back. So I guess I will try not giving it back until the next feeding time, but it seems he gets even more irritable when he is hungry, little bugger just wants to eat and eat... Also good to know not to yell no at him, did not know that was bad. Will also avoid the crate as punishment, makes sense. he has been great with housetraining though, hasnt pooped yet inside and the few times he pees inside its usually on the mat by the door.

I agree with the seperating advice, with my three, i had supervised playtimes, usually when a sibe gets too ruff lol, the pup will yelp and this will cause the other sibe to stop (usually) with my three whenever one yelped they stopped, but if play got too boysterous i stepped in , only by gently moving pup, not the sibes! as i did not want to discourage play so i simply moved pup and let them carry on, then put em all in they crates for a sleep, till next round, have fun with it i love to see them play and also watch the others teaching them as they ruff n tumble smile.gif

they actually play fine now, he hasnt yelped yet, seems he just gets annoyed sometimes and will growl and actually charge back at mischa

Guest snowdog

oh ye lol im with u on the razor sharp teeth n frantic eating, like trying to hand feed a pirranah, but i found and this is just me but if shadow my youngest did that i wud pull my hand away so he learnt in eating frantically he didnt get what he wanted and only let him feed when he slowed downsmile.gif

I agree with everything that you're doing with regards to the feeding, :up: but I wouldn't utilise the crate as a punishment tool. If you carry on doing this he will become fearful of it and then you're snookered unsure.gif

If he elicits bad behaviour walk away, give a firm NO (use a hand signal if you wish) Ignore the bad and praise the good - works wonders, i'd also advise consistency with training, it won't happen overnight but you will see some great results very soon :)