Cone of Shame

PatMulder

Evening folks,

My pup was neutered today and he seemed to have taken to his head cone rather well - or so I thought.

I just went to adjust it to make it one notch tighter - and he went for my hand and came very close to breaking my skin in one place. I know he could do a lot of damage should he want to - and I'm trying to put myself in his shoes, having a strange thing on my head for the first time that stops me from walking and seeing properly - but I'm wondering should I be worried because he reacted in this way? Or is it just a culmination of the traumatic day and pain he's most likely in. He's never done it before.

Thanks.

Probably a stressful day for him poor puppy! The cones must feel really odd and frustrating for them, altho necessary! Maybe you made him jump when you went to adjust it, took him by surprise when he's not feeling himself?

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

He's probably still feeling disorientated from the anesthetic , in pain and confused , if he's still acting out of sorts later/tomorrow I'd give the vets a call , giving him a bit of space is probably best for now , oh n if u think he'll be ok , just having the cone on when u can't supervise him is fine so long as he leaves the wound alone, be careful too if he's trying to lick as the cone can scratch him n irritate him , I had to get a second cone with padding round the edges to stop him accidentally hurting himself

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

All above .. reassure him with a little treat and make a gentle fuss of him.
Let him relax on / in his bed/crate. The anaesthetic will take a good few days to wear off/out from his system. Up to 7-10.
Don't be surprised if he doesn't want to eat much ... but have plenty of fresh water available; small meals little and often and some scrambled eggs will go down a treat anytime. In two/three weeks and after a post op check up he'll get back to himself. 🤗

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

When an animal is in pain it's not that uncommon for them to become more defensive, so given that he's just had an operation I would think it's likely that he's feeling pretty rubbish right now.
Like Nix said, give him some space for now. Let him rest but keep an eye on him. I didn't need the cone of shame on Mine as they didn't bother the wound at all but if he is going for it and the cone is distressing him then a pet medical shirt/vest is an alternative to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners

Archived