Siberian Husky as a hiking partner?

Wolves

Hello,

I'm doing some research into Huskies and GSDs, as I'm trying to decide which of these dogs would be most appropriate for me and was hoping some experienced Husky owners could give me some advice. I live on my own and have a part time morning job, so will be spending basically all day with my dog bar 4 hours 4 days of the week (6am until 10am), and have no other pets at this time. What I'm looking for in a dog:

• Able to walk 5-10 miles+ EVERY DAY.

• Devoted - wants to spend time with his owner and loves his owner.

• Trainable. I hike where there are rarely other dogs or people about, and want to be able to let my dog off leash. I know Huskies have notoriously bad recall, but I've also seen a lot of people with their Sibes off leash while hiking as opposed to a dog park where there are far too many distractions and risks.

• Loyal - I've heard Sibes aren't loyal dogs, but is this really true?

I know a GSD fits the majority of these categories very well, but it's the exercise I'm worried about. Could a GSD really handle that mileage even as he gets older? Or would it be too damaging to his hips? If so, would a Sibe be better? Or if you think neither of these breeds are ideal for what I'm looking for, what dogs would you suggest?

I really appreciate any feedback!

If you want a dog you can let off lead, get a GSD. Huskies should never be let off lead and every responsible husky owner will say the same.

Huskies can also have hip issues as well as GSDs. It's best to rescue however if you get a pup make sure they've had their eyes and hips tested. Invest in a good let insurance, I know someone who's GSD had a hip replacement and it cost about £4K

Huskies are very independent dogs, I would personally say GSDs are more devoted from ones I've seen. My friends GSD follows him around like a shadow, she would literally do anything for him (included jumping out of an upstairs window to get to him!!) my 2 huskies like their own space and are quite happy entertaining themselves

All dogs are trainable, however whether a husky will listen to you is hit and miss

Huskies could do the miles no problems, and I'm pretty sure a GSD could too. They are both working dogs.

I think a GSD is better for your needs

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

I have a Husky and a White GSD

Darwin the Husky Loves me and loves to be around me, however he will only do what he wants when he wants.

Echo the GSD Adores me and is forever by my side, she does everything she's told when she's told.

Both dogs will happily do the mileage you want.

Both breeds as they get older will decline in strength and endurance, however you should get 8 -10 years before you notice 

any decline (assuming good health)

Of the two I would suggest GSD for better trainability and reliability

both breeds can handle the miles in the USA they have groups for hiking with dogs that give awards for miles walked

lol the GSD will do as its all in the name  German Shepherd Sheep herd, take a look at  www.wolfpacks.com they have links to books and cub pages that do dog hiking they also sell a range of good dog gear for day and overnight trips

Archived