Peeing and Getting In To Trash

kkros

I have a 4 yr old female husky mix, she has been checked out by the vet and is healthy. we adopted her a little over a month ago and she's been great, up until last week. She has started peeing on the couch and getting in to trash while we're gone. The longest she's ever alone is 9 hours max. She goes out twice in the morning and twice in the evening and gets plenty of play time. This morning, I had left and my roommate was getting ready, there was not even a half hour period between when i was gone and he came out of his room and she had gotten into the trash. There wasn't even much in it.... She will go for 10ish hours at night when we are at home, so its not like she isn't able to hold it. We would like to avoid crate training if possible. any advice would be great. 

Trash is easy...she is bored...

peeing...mine can go without a pee during the night for a solid 9 to 10 hrs no problem...during the day a whole different story need to have a pee at least after 5 hrs prefer even 4 hrs...

I do believe so but also testing the water she has only been with you for 1 month...I cannot recommend anything for during the day as I work from home and if I am not then mine have no problems being home for 6 to 7 hrs...but there is 3 dogs in my household so never alone really...

I think getting into the trash is boredom and just plain husky-like.  The best advice I can give is to get a trash can with a lid that you can't easily remove or try to find a place to hide it during the day.  For peeing on the couch, I agree 9 hours is a long time, and if she has access to water all day long then she is probably drinking alot and then has to go.  First, make sure you clean it with a good solution to rid of the smell, typical household cleaners are not going to do the trick.  Second, make sure access to water is limited.  I always walk mine before work and make sure they potty right before I leave too.  You could consider having someone you trust pop in during the day if you know you will be gone for a long stretch.  It will take some time

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think getting into the trash is boredom and just plain husky-like.  The best advice I can give is to get a trash can with a lid that you can't easily remove or try to find a place to hide it during the day.  For peeing on the couch, I agree 9 hours is a long time, and if she has access to water all day long then she is probably drinking alot and then has to go.  First, make sure you clean it with a good solution to rid of the smell, typical household cleaners are not going to do the trick.  Second, make sure access to water is limited.  I always walk mine before work and make sure they potty right before I leave too.  You could consider having someone you trust pop in during the day if you know you will be gone for a long stretch.  It will take some time

Thanks! Do you have a suggestion for cleaners? I think limiting her water intake during the day is good. I take her out when I wake up and again right before I leave. We think she may have some separation anxiety. We found some toys to help with boredom and that help calm them down. We're also working on our schedules to leave her alone for less time!

Limiting water availability is never, ever recommended and I'd most definitely say that the peeing is behavioural and not necessity. If she just desperately needed to pee she'd go on the floor but peeing on the couch she's making a "statement", possibly SA. The trash thing is just a case of looking for something to do/play with and natural curiosity. Personally, I'd crate-train - all of ours, adopted and fostered alike, are crate-trained though it's currently dismantled. We consider it a massive plus if our dogs are happy to go in a crate (which they love and all take turns when it's up) as you never know when it'll be essential (like a prolonged visit to the vet). She'd be less likely to pee in the crate and obviously the trash bin would be safe! ;)

Archived