Looking at pups: Getting nervous

DC1228

First off, let me introduce myself to these forums. My name is Dan and I'm a 28 year old male from Minnesota in the United States. I had a yellow lab named Rocky for 12.5 years until he just got too old before he went to puppy heaven.

It's been 5 years since he passed and it took a bit before I thought about getting a new dog. Now, originally I thought I would get another lab but I just feel like I'd spend too much time comparing the new lab to the old lab. Some can go out and get an exact ringer and name him "______ II" but I just can't do it!

So I'm thinking about a husky.

At this point, I'm 4 days into my husky research. I've learned a lot and have a lot to learn before I feel comfortable making the leap into bringing a husky into the family this spring.

However, there's 2 things that are making me nervous and I'm now doubting I can get a husky. Here's why:

• My wife and I are already active. We already go on our daily walks/runs and like goofing around with the dog in the house so the part of keeping a husky active shouldn't be an issue.  
  • I know when a husky blows their coat, it's a bit more severe compared to a lab shedding but it won't bother us too much.
  • Due to our work schedule, one of us should be home most of the time. I work nights, she works days. Sure there will be periods where nobody is home but I don't think anyone expects someone to be home with the dog 24/7, 365.
  • We have an unfinished basement. It was perfect for training my old dog because it didn't matter if he chewed, scratched, or went potty down there so I think that'll be great for crate training.
  • We have no children yet outside of nieces/nephews who visit so we're not worried about the pup being around kids.
  • There's a very reputable and highly touted husky breeder just 3-hours north of us where we'd get the pup from.

So we're off to a good start but these two things make me nervous and have me worried that I shouldn't get a husky:

• We have a house on 3.5 acres and no fencing. I've read far too much that basically says that if you don't have a fence, don't get a husky. Due to the size of the lot, the terrain (half of it is brush/woods) the neighborhood (None of the 17 houses on the block have a fence), and the cost of putting that much "husky-proof" fence up would be up there.
  • We only want one dog but I've heard some people say that if you can't get two, don't get one. This doesn't worry me so much as I've seen many huskies being the lone pet in the family.

With Rocky, we had the top of the line invisible fence. We're talking about professionally installed and professionally trained where the 92 pound lab only got out 2 times in 10 years. I've read accounts of people saying invisible fence work with huskies, and others saying it doesn't especially when they see a critter. 

So is not having a fenced in yard the one deal breaker? Will I not be able to play with my dog in the yard without him on a leash (fetch, running around the yard, etc.) Are huskies guaranteed to flee into the next county anytime they get outside? Are there any options that doesn't require a fenced in yard? Am I really going to have to look at another breed over this?

Any/all opinions and thoughts are welcome! Thanks in advance!

Welcome, and well done for doing your research :up:

The fence may be a deal breaker unless you can use a tie out and long line to give the dawg a bit of freedom outside.

or perhaps fence off a smaller portion just outside the house.

They are certainly a challenging breed to own.

Welcome v3.jpg

24 minutes ago, Andy said:

Welcome, and well done for doing your research :up:

The fence may be a deal breaker unless you can use a tie out and long line to give the dawg a bit of freedom outside.

or perhaps fence off a smaller portion just outside the house.

They are certainly a challenging breed to own.

That's kinda what I was thinking. The yard is big enough to put up a nice fenced in area by the deck. I mean it won't be 100'x100' but something like the picture. Maybe a bit bigger than that. Big enough for him to have some running room and room for us to play a bit. Put a dog house in it....I think it'd be cool to put a sand box in it so he can dig and frolic. Line it with rock or brick so he can't bust out. 

Cheaper solution....can do it in a day or two.

386701fb-dd9c-47b4-8d44-7e478aa2be64_1.c010c26dfab96496d7f99738001de82a.jpeg

Welcome to husky owners. Huskies have an incredibly high prey drive and are known to be little Houdinis for escaping from home so I personally wouldn't touch an invisible fence with a ten foot barge pole. Much prefer the picture you've posted, looks way more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Husky Owners mobile app

Research research - on husky breed - excellent.
Some huskies have been known to climb these link chain/other type fences....
If you can adopt.. please do - huskies are becoming the more commonly bought/discarded breed because the owners haven't researched nor can they cope with the high intelligence of this breed!
Two is far more fun and really not that more of a handful and they keep each other occupied in play!
IMO your setup looks good in principle but is far too small.. huskies REALLY like to run and do 'zoomies' much more and longer than other dogs (I've had a few). If you can secure a good (min) 20' x 50'-70' area with concrete for kennel base, 40ml gravel and decent draining this may well be good. Coyote top fencing will deter incoming and outgoing visitor/escape issues and a grass area for some playtime would nice underfoot (Maybe dig-proof or two feet down fencing too).
Huskies don't generally thrive in a kennel environment. . They get bored easily and prefer to be sociable and with you.
I have a bungalow : they have 24/7 access from inner hall (XXL crate in here) to kitchen to large dog flap to access outside (two large water bowls by the back/side door) to a 35'x75' rear garden (alcatraz - dug up a bit). 6' fencing and padlocked dbl gates. Eventually I want a 75' x14' run along the side of garden wirh gravel, concrete under kennels (and optional shut-off gate) + ramp run straight down side of bungalow in to the house (no earth/mud runs!)
Then I can landscape the rest and they can use the new lawn under supervision!

Take it or leave it.... my tuppeny's worth:-

Look at www.successdogs.com - training / tricks / disciplines all here - (I cannot recommend this enough!) - absolutely invaluable.

Find your local Husky groups near you to meet - walk out with and/or husky camp meets - in the year .... secure off lead runs - yep.. never off-lead huskies - a few rare ones have good recall but don't risk it! They are genetically inherent roamers & runners! Too many lost, killed or injured.
Microchip but mine also have Dogtrac.com scanner tags on.

Find out tack/kit if you want to go into rig runs/ cani-cross or canibelt-runs - or bikejoring.
Get connectors to always a spare collar on them to the lead and/or harness.
Dogmatic/K9bridle have a good rep to avoid pulling (they are natural pullers!)
Snowpaws/Hooners good suppliers(check out others but I use these) with good reputable kit.
I started indoor training 2+ yrs ago - whilst saving up for my 3-wheel running rig (dryland) & now have a scooter - as yet unused since my accident; I have a friendly farmer's land on which to run now with a friend or two who come too, (don't go out alone in case of accidents).
Check local by-laws on WHERE you can run...
Helmet, (always - mine can hit nearly 30pmph on takeoff then settle 12-18mph), waterproof builder's workgloves cheap & warm & tough - perfect ... and maybe elbow/knee pads...

Mushing terms work anytime...

Gee, R, Haw, L, Go By, pass/overtake; On By, leave!, On On, Hup!Hup! - faster, Line Out, (move until line taut - practice tied to a post or tree), Straight On, Steady... Easy.. Whoa. .Wait!
Mine learned these off a canibelt after Gee/Haw turn spins were taught mastered & done indoors.
Their first ever rig run was awesome - they turned correctly!

Check separate Insurance if you take up running fun runs/competitions/meets.

Busted L Anterior cruciate in Sep 2016 - awaiting an op repair; and I daren't walk them out as my knee is pretty unstable despite all the physio; my stepper workout is better but it starts to hurt after a while - but.. persevering... I'm 65, over weight; crumbling neck - wearing out; medically retired; I need this op! or I'll have to sell my boat - we all cruise in the summers .. too hot to run.
NB:
(If Temp+Humidity = 100/1000 - don't run. Certainly not over 10-13°C. Cooler nights maybe good.
Darkening tongues indicate low oxygen; Don't feed 4 hrs b4 a run or for an hour after.
Always carry water if you're out in hot weather. Keep water out of sunlight - plastic changes & secrete toxins into the water if left in the sunlight. Same for our water bottles!
Rinse out/replenish regularly.
Pouring back/forth re-oxygenates stale water perfectly. (Outback survival tip ref longstanding barrelled water catch).

My two HuskyXMalamutes @ nearly 40kg each now trot really well beside my mobility scooter and have practically mastered 180° Gee/Haw turns - yay!

Invest in lint rollers. Maybe shares? Lol

Dyson dog groom tool fab - get them used to the vacuum. Successdogs.com again...for new stuff incl Intto of basket muzzles, crating, vacuum, handling - anything...
I have mine groomed bi-annually (worth £35-£40 each) at end of 2nd week coat 'blow' & this cuts down so much of the fur shedding volume!
Prepare to vacuum almost daily. .. lol
Hair becomes an adornment to your wardrobe ...
Muddy dog legs - Wipe down, let dry, brush off - keeps coats clean.
Old towels for damp feet nr the doors inside.. Oh and a FA kit handy always fir that cut, scrap or bite...on them.

If you get a youngster under a year, DO keep rugs down to avoid feet slipping and prevent development of hip dysplasia - slippery floors was recently confirmed by vets as the CAUSE.. Not genetic or inherited.
Once they're better developed and strong they'll learn to move more carefully... however discourage zoomies inside - mine get sent out!

After jabs 15 mins walk a day on a lead. Add 5 mins next month etc until 11 months. They'll run around and sleep where they crash out so a den is good to get them into crating - and great to pop in for a while with wary dog visitors and during meals/with guests. They are masters are begging...huskies that is.

You'll never look back once you're a husky owner...

Mine fret in a power cut if radio goes off - altho' now batteries take over - it's on all day.
If you do go away abroad, check out recommended Husky boarding (home away from home;) I'm off to Leicester soon - they have a good looking setup and five of their own huskies...I just can't leave mine - my family don't really 'know' my woofs!
Passports info from your vet... look out risk areas in some countries re more common pick-up infections if you choose to travel abroad.

Good luck!
Apologies - I get carried away in my life of these fluffbutts - and the huge - and still growing experience - of this incredible breed. Chester and Eski Cottee have their own fb page.. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

8 hours ago, Maz51 said:

Huskies don't generally thrive in a kennel environment. . They get bored easily and prefer to be sociable and with you.
I have a bungalow : they have 24/7 access from inner hall (XXL crate in here) to kitchen to large dog flap to access outside (two large water bowls by the back/side door) to a 35'x75' rear garden (alcatraz - dug up a bit). 6' fencing and padlocked dbl gates. Eventually I want a 75' x14' run along the side of garden wirh gravel, concrete under kennels (and optional shut-off gate) + ramp run straight down side of bungalow in to the house (no earth/mud runs!)
Then I can landscape the rest and they can use the new lawn under supervision!

Take it or leave it.... my tuppeny's worth:-

Microchip but mine also have Dogtrac.com scanner tags on.

Wow! That was a fun read! Thank you so much!

#1. I don't want them to be kennel dogs. I just was thinking about something where if I had to run to the store for 20 mins or if I'm out cutting the lawn and its a nice day out, let them hang in the kennel for a while. They'd most certainly be house dogs when they're not going on walks/runs/wrestling around.

#2. The microchip is a great idea. In fact, the kennel I would get a pup from inserts them automatically when they're pups.

Another question.....I'm now thinking more and more about getting two but the kennel I referred to costs about $2000-$4000 for each pup. 

What is the average price range for an AKC husky pupper?

#1. I don't want them to be kennel dogs. I just was thinking about something where if I had to run to the store for 20 mins or if I'm out cutting the lawn and its a nice day out, let them hang in the kennel for a while. They'd most certainly be house dogs when they're not going on walks/runs/wrestling around.
#2. The microchip is a great idea. In fact, the kennel I would get a pup from inserts them automatically when they're pups.
Another question.....I'm now thinking more and more about getting two but the kennel I referred to costs about $2000-$4000 for each pup. 

If u get a puppy I would highly recommend only getting one , it's very possible they'll bond to each other more than they would with you making training more difficult , I'd start off with one get that one trained to where u want it to be then add a second later on , the one that is trained will actually help the new pup learn the rules

Sent from my E6653 using Husky Owners mobile app

My Eski came aged 2 & 1/2 to my Chester's aged two who I'd had since 9 weeks.
He had learned quite a few tricks but she picked up so quick.. and I still spend separate time with them. Eski is not as focussed and will go fetch and bring back but Chester brings stuff back AND puts it into a bowl. He'll pick up his toys or blankets from outside too, and take into the crate and has started picking up pens & stuff I drop, off the floor I can't quite reach!
Eski just makes a noise! But, she has learned all the mushing terms and can copy Chester pretty good. Two's company. . And there's no reason why you can't teach each one separately. If they're both treat oriented - no problems!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Husky Owners mobile app

I can honestly recommend getting one pup first and then training them to the point where you want them to be before adding another. I had two three months apart and I can tell you now that I was pulling my hair out most of the time. Yes it can be done but it was so much harder than it would have been if I'd got one at a time. Ice is also incredibly bonded to Bear, she is his world. The same doesn't apply in reverse though, Bear's people are her world. She can take or leave Ice, lol.

3 hours ago, DC1228 said:

We live in Missouri and got our female for $950. That's about the average price for AKC Huskies around here.  Although we got our male first from a local pet store and paid twice that so I would definitely shop around.  We are actually getting ready to have pups!  So excited!

Hi I think the fenced area picture you posted looks good! I wouldn't have them running loose or tethered

Also agree with having 1 pup at a time - huskies are quite difficult to train so it's good to have all your attention on one at a time. Eventually having 2 huskies is great though, although my boy is struggling a bit with the change as he's been on his own for 3 and a half years but I think they will be great friends one day! If I was to get 2 dogs again I wouldn't leave so much of a gap, maybe after a year or so get another dog if you still want one

There are a lot of huskies in rescues, so give that a chance but if you do want a pup I would say find a reputable breeder and stay away from pet stores as they are more often than not back yard breeders. Make sure they've had their eyes and hips tested and always ask to at least see the mother!

• 2 months later...

Archived