changing a 4 yr old sibe name

bubba

Hi there, I may be getting a 4 yr old husky from rescue association but the problem is i dont like his name can i change it and does anyone know if this will succeed. Will the dog answer to his new name. I am also getting a puppy husky in a months time will the older dog be ok with the pup. I would appreciate any experience some husky owners have of these

ok...a little something to think about here.....remember that the dog doesnt actually know his name...its association, and thats whats going to be confusing for both you and the dog to change, im not saying it isnt do able, just that it might not be an easy thing for you to accomplish.

i personally havent renamed any of my dogs, and they are all rescues...they are...who they are...after all...whats in a name..its still the same loving dog.

if i was you i would have contacted the rescue association you are getting the dog from to ensure it was ok with other dogs before moving on with the adoption if you knew you were getting a puppy. every dog is different, so its impossible for anyone here to automatically say it will be fine with a puppy, its something you will have to research with the rescue association you got your dog from, as they will know his history, and "should" have given him an assessment

we got Bingo at the grand age ov 3 (only a yr younger than ur boy) and we were told if we wanted 2 change his name we cud (then agen he was picked up as a stray so they named him and he was only in the shelter for a week b4 we got him) if he was handed over by the previous owners its gonna b hard 2 try n change his name u cud give it a go but it might b rly difficult and cud confuse the dog - but if u perseveer i dont c y u cudnt my boy bings comes when i call him all different things blaze does occasionally too - good luck and cnt w8 2 c the pics :D

also wit the puppy thing if u can find out what hes like with other dogs and u introduce a puppy in2 ur pack properly i cant imagine u having many problems - good luck :)

His current name is deefer burger

What?????? Deefer Burger is that how its spelt? as i know someone has a dog called diefenbaker or something like that, i can completley understand why you want to change it if that is it, is there some meaning to that name or were the past owners on a wind up? or could that be his birth name? as some of the Huskies on here have very unusual names given on there family tree...

Unfortunatly i do feel at 4 years of age it might be to late if that is what he is use to, but if you have the time and Patients maybe after a while he might start to understand, good luck and keep us informed...

"Diefenbaker" is the name of the wolf in Due South, so I assume thats why we have a Dief here thats what he'll be named after, and its actually several huskies they use in the show to play the wolf. Thor05 are you sure thats not the name your adoptee has and you just missheard? If it is and you understand the context its a great name as the wolf in the show is great, he very often saves the day, and is apparently hard of hearing because he jumped into a frozen lake to save his Mounty master whome he loved so much he risked his own life! If you didnt miss hear his name then Diefenbaker sounds enough like the other name that you could change it without confusing him too much? If not does he have a nickname? A shorter version? Maybe you could call him something that sounds like that? I think its all about making the same sounds when you call him. When you get a puppy your advised to get him to come to his name by calling it and then giving him a treat every time he responds so maybe try that with what ever you deside to re-name him?

As has been said on the introducing him to a puppy thing, check with the shelter that hes OK with other dogs, introduce them slowly and under supervision and dont leave them alone together for at least the first few months! Should be fine like that! smile.gif