Things I need for my new pup

aronoiiel

Ok so having never had a puppy before, let alone a husky pup, I was wondering what all should I get? What toys do your pups just love? I also had a question about the EZ Harness, should I get a medium for her as a puppy and then get a large later or would a large fit a puppy ok if it's adjusted to its smallest size? LOL I feel like a first time mom and I've never even had a kid yet :P I'm getting her early next week so its down to the wire to get everything preped and ready. The house is as puppy proof as I can make it for now so that's done at least lol.

1.Definitely get a cage for crate training that has a divider in it. This way you can move it back as the pup gets older so they don't soil in their bed.

2. Nylabones are great chew toys especially the healthy edibles since the dogs think they taste great and are gentle on their tummies. My Pongo never chewed a piece of furniture he loved these so much.

3. A high quality food since these dogs have sensitive tummies and stay away from soy it will upset their tummy. Try Wellness or Solid Gold or taste of the wild

4. My pup loved the Kong rope since it had the Kong to chew and the rope to play tug-o-war with

5. A nice nylon leash. If you can find a Rok strap leash that's great too (I love mine)http://www.moochieandco.com/moochie/product.asp?s%5Fid=0&pf%5Fid=PAAAAAJONPMKEOFD. We started Pongo on the large leash in the nice turquoise blue colorsmile.gif . Never start leash training with a retractable leash, those are for later since the dog is hard to control on them

6. A well-fitted harness and sturdy collar. Be sure your pup can't wiggle out of either

7. Some high quality treats for training. Try Train me treats http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=109875&Ntt=train%20me&OneResultRedirect=1 or something with similar quality. Some people also use cheese or meat. You can even just use your pup's food.

8. A variety of toys. Try rotating them so your pup doesn't get bored.

9. Maybe even think about doing some puppy classes. We took our pup and would never have another dog that hasn't gone through at least the basic puppy class. It not only teaches obedience, but also helps build a bond between owner and pupsmile.gif

This is all I can think of right now and I'm sure everyone will also have great suggestions for you. These are just some things that we used with Pongo and he turned out to be a very well-behaved, wonderful, loving dogbiggrin.gif Good luck with your pup and I hope some of this helped cool.gif

Thank you so much Lynn. I'm already in the works of getting puppy training classes though I think I'll wait a week or two for her to settle in. I really appreciate the adivce and links now I have some idea of where to begin lol.

As far as the EZ harness goes my roomate thinks getting a medium then upgrading as she grows is the best route I'm wondering if a medium would fit her ok? I should probably wait until we actually get her but I would like to have everything when she gets here ^_^

With the EZY Harness - although they can be adjusted, it's the breast plate that you're going to have an issue with - for a pup, i think even a small would be too big at the moment. A medium fits Kaiser and he's 14 months.

Toys are a fab idea - make sure you get ones that don't have bits that can easily be swallowed - for example a teddy where the eyes can be chewed off

Ready for his arrival: food and water bowls, crate, puppy collar and lead, poo bags, suitable toys, easy to wash bedding and plenty of cleaning materials (cloths, paper towel and disinfectant/deoderiser) for cleaning up after him till hes housebroken. One thing you can do before he arrives is to take a blanket over to his breeder and ask them to let mum and pups sleep on it, or at least take one over and rub it on his mum and packmates. You can then use this blanket with familar scent on it as a 'comforter' in his bed when he arrives home.

Food: If the breeder is worth their salt, you should be sent home with a supply of what he's been weaned on and used to. CHECK this, and get yourself a supply of the same food and keep him on this and the feeding routine he's used to till he's settled in. Bringing a new pup into your home and changing their diet is a surefire way to end up with tummy troubles. You can switch to something else GRADUALLY once hes settled (I'd suggest once hes completed his vaccinations, as both these and worming can cause upset stomachs)

Vet: check out the vets in your area and decide which one to use. One with 24hr cover is advisable, one who actually knows something about the breed is better still. The worst time to choose a vet is when you need one in a hurry! :mellow: Pups that get sick can get VERY sick very quickly.

PUPPY-PROOF your house and garden: Check your perimeter, because he will! A young pup can get through astonishingly small gaps and we've had a 12 week old clear a 6ft fence :blink:. Check for any poisonous plants, check the gate latch...and DOUBLECHECK the gate latch! check any rooms indoors he has access to for any electrical wires he can reach and remove anything you don't want him to try and chew.

Also plan if at all possible for someone to be home 24/7 for at least a couple of weeks after he arrives. This will help settle him in and make the whole housebreaking and sleeping training much easier (think along the lines of a newborn human baby and you'll not go far wrong).

If you have to work too, be prepared for the same sort of sleepless nights you would get with a baby. They don't immediatly 'sleep through' He will need to go pee maybe a couple of times during the night initially. If you can pick up on this and get him outside, brilliant. If you don't pick up on it, you'll have it to clean up. If you plan to have him sleep away from you in another room or his crate, he'll probably scream the place down till he gets used to it.

Your better hanging off buying more expensive leads, harnesses etc till he actually arrives and you can try them on in the store. Don't go over the top with spending initially, as lil pups grow into big dogs very quickly.

If you go into it expecting sleepless nights, chaos,noise, lots of cleaning up and a requirement for lots of patience and vigilance. You'll not go far wrong ;) It WILL get easier, and how quickley depends on how much work you put in in those early days and weeks B):)

Hey and welcome to the site!

How old is your bundle gunna be? If shes still tiney and hasnt had all her jabs yet then you probley wont need a harness just yet as your pup wont be able to go out till shes had all her jabs, just out and about in your arms to experience things without the risk of catching any nasties.. till then just a well fitted puppy collar and a nice nylon leash, you can work on leash training like this around your house and garden so she gets used to it and you can work on basic nice walking, check out Erika's thread "training your husky to your rules" this has aaaall the puppy training advise you will need!

Earplugs are a MUST! specially if your working as well, as Lynn said sleepless nights are gunna happen while the pup settles in so earplugs will minimalise your sleeplessness! Puppy training pads will also help with this unless your shutting the pup in a crate in which case you'll need to get up every couple of hours to take the pup out to potty, if your not planning on shutting the crate over night then puppy pads can be placed by the back door over night and will absorb any accidents so you dont have toooo much cleaning up to do!

Nylabones as is said above are deffinatly a must, that way whenever you catch your bundle chewing something she shouldnt you give her a firm NO not yours! and replace whatever it was with a nylabone, she'll learn really quickly what she can and cant chew on.

Set aside lots of old blankets and towels that are for her use only (my girl now has more towels than the rest of my household combined!) as they are ALWAYS getting mucky and a good rub down with a towel at the door is your best deffence against having a muddy house! Blankets are good for making the crate a comfy place and one put over the top of it to cover it makes it a cozy den like place your pup will want to be... also meal times should be served in the crate to make it associated with happy times and WANT to be in there.

Thats all I can think of for now but any other questions just shout up! You already found the most usful tool you'll need for your pup... this site!! Always a wealth of info and people to help you with any conserns! biggrin.gif

Ooooooh almost forgot! CAMARA!!!! You will want to take a million pics as they grow like nobodies business!! Plus we all wana see the cutie!!! :D

Whew alright lol thanks for all the awesome advice ^_^ I will hold off on the harness for now, though I might just get one for my corgi mix turkey gets her harness off to easily as it is lol, and deffiately will invest in some good chew toys (not that we don't have enough with Foxy lol). I'm good with the sleepless nights lol I've helped newborn kittens when they were rejected by the moms so I'm cool with the puppy getting me up. She will be 8wks old when I get her I deffinately have my camera and everything I need to load pics of her as she grows. ^_^