Meet My Pup and Share Your Knowledge!

Jakebrown4

10 hours ago, Jakebrown4 said:

Would the 2nd testicle descending stimulate more growth? Vet said at 6 months they start producing testosterone anyway, and she didn't seem too concernee about it affecting his growth. 

In any case waiting for it to drop would save me $100 i can spend to spoil Hiei, and if it doesn't cause health problems up to 10 months, i may as well wait.

Early neutering sometimes causes more growth but that is not something you can count on. He will still be producing testosterone with one undescended and there will still be testosterone in the system for 2-3 months after removal. Dogs will still continue to produce testosterone at a much lower level throughout their lives when neutered. 

The medical term for undescended testicle is Cryptorchidism if you want to research further, but be aware that google shows many varying views. 

The best thing is to keep up regular vet visits prior to the neutering so your vet can monitor health for any signs of health issues.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! Hope you're all doing well and getting ready for spring with your pups! Thought I'd update everyone on Hiei as Ive had him for almost two months now.

In an effort to socialize him I've been taking him everywhere I can with me and he's quite used to people now. I've started walking him with a friend and his Jack Russel. She's afraid of him due to his size and rough play style but she'll warm up I'm sure.

Potty training has it's good and bad days. The bad days are due to me trusting him too much and I know that it's ultimately my fault, so I don't scold him for my mistakes. He's quite receptive to the clicker training though, so I'll keep at it with potty training especially.

He's been growing quite a bit! When we got him he weighed about 20 pounds, he's up to a healthy 35 now that I have his worms taken care of. People comment on how much larger he is every time they see him, so I'm happy. He'll be getting neutered next month.

Now that he's settled and healthier I'm going to start being quite strict with training everywhere I can. He's started to play more rough and bite the last few days so I know I need stop that right away. Leash pulling is something I need to put a stop to also when we walk on the trail.

One question, how thick should his coat be? A lot of his coat feels like it's matted down under the top layer? I know he wasn't given baths and brushed for the first 6 months of his life, so i'm not sure if this is a result of that or if it's just his winter coat. I can quite easily pull that thick clumpy fur out from beneath his top coat. Every time I give him a bath more and more starts to come out, from his waist up to his head he has shed this out, but the hind quarters and butt are still thick under.

He pants a lot and guzzles water like no other, wondering if that wooly coat makes him too hot.

Here's some new pictures (wish I could rotate them) of him and how big he has gotten. Darkening up a bit too.

20160323_172551[1].jpg

20160315_171140.jpg

20160326_102924.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, love his face! He's groing up quite handsome!

I'd say he's starting to shed his coat by what you are describing...it easily comes out in clumps if you pull a bit or rub them, get an undercoat rake and gently brush him, sometimes Tsunami's is a bit matted and it seems to pull so he'll get a bit upset, but I've found that if he swims in the ocean before (or given a nice bath) it brushes better ;)

• Like 1

Lovely pics, how handsome!

What you're describing does sound like the regular cost blow they go through twice per year. They quite drastically shed all their undercoat, you can see the tufts popping out all over them. Usually happens in the spring and autumn.

Woolie huskies will likely require more grooming but a general husky coat shouldn't need quite so much maintenance and bathing isn't needed too often either.

Sent via the power of telepathy.