Growing Up With A Husky?

So my plans are to move South at some stage in the next few months, sadly this means Loki and Buddy are going to be separated :(

Moving forward though, I was thinking Loki would benefit from living with another dog, as he really enjoys Buddy's company. Once I was set up and could afford another dog, I was considering a German Shepherd, as they seem to be a popular combination with huskies. I'm aware of the hip problems etc associated with them, but I've also heard they bark a lot.

But, I'm wondering if they grow up from a puppy with a husky that basically never barks, maybe they'd be less likely to bark excessively? Anyone know or have experience with them? :)

I somehow doubt that a gsd will bark less it is in their genes to herd so to make that happen they run and bark a lot...:D...our old one he started barking as soon as he heard the gate handle being touched and would not stop untill the person(s) were in the house..:D

Bella and Noah were together since birth.  Bella Barks.  At the TV, at the door, at the dog down the road, imaginary friends and lots of other things.  But she can be quickly stopped by saying "Thank you Bella" then "enough, Bella"  

Bella has also has learnt to speak Husky so has a full range of unusual noises for all bark Alarm response.

As far as I know she does not bark when we are not there, and we have had no complaints ref barking when we are out.   My old Dogs.  Rookie (GSDXRotweiler) and Sydney (GSD) went in to silent mode when we were out.  We were not there so there was no one to alert.

There are many ways to control barking: you can teach them to bark then to stop etc. 

I have a 4 year old GSD along with chewy and kiyah. He is a bit more vocal but not unless he's playing or alerted these days. There are ways to help a GSD to bark and whine less. It just takes time and a little bit of training. I have found that having Tank (the GSD) is a really good combination with my huskies. :)

Snowy is a GSD x husky and has been brought up with Harry the husky. Snowy barks all the time and Harry just woos. Though both are rubbish guard dogs and will just whine if someone comes to the door.  Maiya the malamute on the other hand is a good guard dog and will give a big old deep woof if there is someone outside :)

Not really worried what they do when I'm home, just concerned about noise when I'm out. But then I suppose plenty of people own GSD's and other yappy dogs, so having a husky for company is probably going to be better than just a single dog :)

Skye is a husky cross GSD and she definitely barks more than my full husky. Shadow isn't really fussed about things outside etc he only makes a noise if someone nocks at the door. Skye however watches out the window most of the day and if she sees a cat, another dog, a hedgehog she does bark and comes to tell me! She is also alot more vocal on walks around new dogs.

I have had no noise complaints for when i am out though and its always quiet when i get back :)

Thanks everyone. See what happens I guess. Oddly GSD's seem to be less common than huskies here, would have thought the opposite!

Funny you say that as it got me thinking about my area and you're right. A few years back you would quite often see a gsd when out and about. These days I see way more huskies (and handbag dogs). How strange!

I went to the rescue with Astro once and he never barks unless there is someone at the door. I walked him with a GSD and when she started barking at some workmen, he joined in! He barked a LOT at husky camp too (sorry guys!) I don't know why!

His mum is crossed with a GSD somewhere so it could be that in him, but I do find if he's with other barky dogs he does it a lot more

I don't think bringing a GSD with a husky would make any difference, it's just their nature to bark. The GSD by me barks on the lead a LOT however as soon as she is off lead she doesn't bark at all. There is a GSD in the rescue at the moment, in the kennel he is quite vocal but on walks (even when we go past other dogs) I don't hear a peep from him