Taken 3, Interstellar, Selma, Am. Sniper, Gone Girl

mydiamond

Yep all those in one. Up next in my watch list: Fury, Blackhat and Mortdecai.

Movie #1: Taken 3

IMDb 6.4/10; Liv's rating 5/10

Because Hollywood believes we haven't had enough of the Taken series! That being said, Taken 3 did adopt a rather new perspective than the typical "I need to save Person A in the most violent way possible". Liam Neeson once again is Bryan Mills; a middle-class, golf-playing, ex-army, single-parent, separated-but-is-getting-back-together, most protective father in the world. *Somebody* (who you'll immediately notice by the way) murdered Bryan Mills' ex-wife and staged it to look like he did it. The first stir of events start when police rushed into Mills' house, caught him standing in the same room with the body and immediately detained him because that's obviously how law enforcement work. Mills, just like any normal person in this world would do, responded by beating the living daylight out of those officers and bolted away. Insert car chase scene. Insert ten-second fight scenes and parkour actions. Insert confused policemen. Try not to laugh. So you see, this whole story revolves around Bryan Mills trying to solve his ex-wife's murder while evading detainment. Why won't he just go to court and solve this whole thing nonviolently, you ask? Well to that I'll say "because Hollywood believes we haven't had enough of the Taken series". Insert mini plot twist. Insert lots of dead people. Roll the credits. Fin. You will want to watch this movie if you: (1) are super tired and just want your brain to shut down for two hours. (2) are into unintended comedy in non-comedy movies. (3) are a plot hole/unrealistic details hunter (you'll rejoice here if so). (4) are a fan of pure stoicism and piles of dead Russian mafias. Because apparently Hollywood believes ALL mafias are Russian.

Movie #2: Interstellar

IMDb: 8.8/10 Liv's rating: 9.5/10

What else do you expect from a Chris Nolan movie? Interstellar is a science-based, mind-bending, heartwarming movie that invites its audience--astrophysicists or not--to all take a step back and think. A lot. A whole lot. I am in no way a scientist, but still I don't find it hard to understand and relate to this movie. In an unspecified year which is only described as "near future" (YIKES!) the Earth suffers from horrible food shortage everyone goes back to being a farmer. To top it all off there's also this dust storm that kills crops and cause respiration diseases. The human species is at the brink of extinction. They need to move out. Fast. In a curious string of occasions that will later be explained (by the movie, not me, because that will make a massive spoiler) single father of two, space pilot and ex-engineer Cooper found himself on the doors of a top secret facility that is none other than our very own NASA. Food shortage caused them to lose funding and later publicly shut down, but behind closed doors they continue working to find another habitable planet outside our galaxy. Cooper, whose first name was never mentioned, was their only experienced pilot. They then sent him on the first interstellar expedition ever attempted. I could've gone on and on about what makes this movie awesome, but we already know it's awesome so let's just leave this pure awesomeness undefined. Let's talk about why is it *not* awesome. Anne Hathaway is Dr. Brand (this movie is apparently allergic to first names), daughter of the man who coined the idea of interstellar travel and Cooper's teammate in the journey. She ticked me off a whole lot, especially because I can't even tell you what exactly ticked me off (spoilers). But other than Dr. Brand's holier-than-thou attitude, this movie is... well, awesome. Just awesome.

Movie #3: Selma

IMDb: 7.7/10 Liv's rating: 7.5/10

Selma is a city name in Alabama, where Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. fought for every African-American's right to vote. Obviously I watched this movie last Monday; MLK Day. They discounted the ticket so why not. Selma is a strong, honest, subtlety-be-d*mned movie that shows just how screwed up racism is. In the wake of recent events both in and out of The United States, I can see this movie being played in college courses or racial inequality seminars. We see violence. We see death. We see cruelty and injustice and unfairness and Oprah Winfrey. To those who are looking to watch it, get ready for an upsetting night. This is no holiday movie. I don't know what was I thinking watching this to celebrate a long weekend. I can't say much about the plot because "MLK's journey for every African-American's right to vote" basically sums it all up, but I guess I'll warn you guys that kids shouldn't watch this. It's not educational in a child-friendly way.

Movie #4: American Sniper

IMDb: 7.7/10 Liv's rating: 7.7/10

Here it is, Bradley Cooper's massive break after voicing Rocket Raccoon. Everyone I talked to before and after watching this all said "it's really really good". But honestly, it's probably only because I exclusively talked to Americans. This movie follows the life of Chris Kyle, the--I quote--"most lethal sniper in US history". We see his early life in Texas, followed him into his training days in SEAL, his marriage, his first tour to Iraq, and then ultimately his battle with PTSD. This movie is actually more about that last part than anything else. You see, we were introduced to this guy called Mustafa, whom we don't know is fictional or not by the way, that is Iraq's most lethal sniper. They sort of made us expect a showdown between him and Kyle, but in the end that "showdown" came down a little disappointing. I don't know whether or not to complaint though since I do see American Sniper is not about a battle in Iraq. It is about a battle in Kyle's head, PTSD his opponent. It's a nice tribute and makes a great memoir of a great person, but I won't say it's "really really good". Seven-point-seven stars from me.

Movie #5: Gone Girl

IMDb: 8.3/10 Liv's rating: 8.8/10

There is only one very fine line that separates ingenuity from insanity. Book adaptation "Gone Girl" certainly took that saying to a whole new level by introducing us to psychopathic, murderous, mini celebrity, writer-slash-housewife Amy Elliott Dunne (Rosamund Pike). Amy's parents wrote a children's book series about her that immediately became famous and followed her all the way through adulthood. So when her cheating, unemployed, abusive husband Nick Dunne (Ben Affleck - casting jackpot) reported her missing, the whole nation turned up to search for her. What they didn't know is that "Amazing Amy" is a prolific con artist, and her disappearance is only the beginning of her long list of carefully-planned revenge towards Nick. She planned to get Nick jailed for her murder, while Nick--now pressured by the media attention that followed him like a tail--is trying all his best to turn the tables and clean his name. I do not usually give away spoilers, but here's the ending monologue: "what have we done to each other? What will we do?". Fade to black. The moment the credits start rolling when I watch this movie last night, hundreds of F-words were thrown around the theater like a bouncy ball. But nobody was angry. They were laughing. They were so confused they started laughing, cursing and clapping simultaneously. I settled with popcorn-munching, by the way. Gone Girl is one grim, morbid, mind-boggling movie that encouraged some heavy thinking right after. Is it offensive? Is it insensitive? Is it beautiful, fresh and creative but we can't admit it because we don't even know what the hell have we just watched? Like I said, this is a movie for the thinkers. Thinkers who don't mind violence/gore and are eighteen plus, that is. Don't let the title fool you. I walked into the theater expecting a chick flick!

Edited by mydiamond

I've only seen American Sniper out of your selection. I was expecting a really epic film with buckets of action and suspense...what I suspect sniping is all about. But, I was disappointed with it. I don't need to go into great lengths about it...suffice to say that it was badly lacking in what I wanted from it. I didn't want to see Kyle's personal life really...I don't think it should have had as much focus as it did. I got bored..and I fell asleep at one point. That's not something you want your viewer to do in a film which is supposed to deliver on action. Bradley Cooper does a really good job at acting in this though...when you read about what he did to prepare himself for the role...wow. It's just a case of great acting in a lacklustre film. Kyle is supposed to be the most lethal sniper in US history, but we only see him kill 4 people...and I agree that the final 'showdown' is like 'oh, is that it?' Bit cliche really...and it seems that every US soldier with the exception of a couple are invincible...bit dimwitted as well really when they're on the rooftop near the end and not using their grenade launchers. It's supposed to be a realistic depiction of the realities of war...

I'm not going into the propaganda side of it, because to be honest I kind of saw past that...even though some people think it's blatant. Some people think the film is black and white in terms of 'Good' Americans vs 'Evil' Iraqis. I can agree with this to a certain extent. But then at the end of the day this is supposed to be entertainment, not politics. In pretty much every war film I've ever seen it's been a case of good vs evil, when in reality, in war there is no good vs evil, as both sides have the capacity to commit atrocities. So I don't mind this at all, but I think if you're gonna make a film where it is good vs evil, at least put more action into it. I will say no more on this, as I don't want this to become a political discussin.

It's very similar to the Hurt Locker...which is a better film in many ways. It has everything that A.S. had and more...plus it won 6 Oscars. I would much recommend that film over this..simply because it does a better job at delivering on what it is supposed to deliver. This film is forgettable and is not going to be up there with the likes of Platoon, Apocalypse Now, Saving Private Ryan, Bridge too Far, Hurt Locker and Saints and Soldiers.

All in all, very average film...I doubt it will get any Oscars...Good on acting, lacking in action..which was what I wanted. Left the cinema feeling disappointed. My personal rating: 6.6/10

Oh I'm around more or less every day..just I don't post very often...usually I'll give my two pennies worth if there's a topic like this one that catches my eye :D I like giving movies a critique anyway :)

Well you gotta keep up with me so you'll have more to say then! :P now at the end of the week I've cleared three more movies: Fury, Mortdecai and Night At The Museum 3. Missed Blackhat's showtime but I'm sure my local cinema would still show it next week anyways.

EDIT: up next on weekend movie nights (aside from Blackhat) are The Imitation Game, Unbroken (still on the fence about this one honestly) and whatever the campus cinema plays :lol:

By the way, yes, I did hear Blackhat is horrible. BUT they are featuring Jakarta. Chris Hemsworth was in Jakarta and I was in Michigan!! Grumble grumble! So, yeah, this is the only reason why Blackhat is on my watch list :lol: if it's indeed horrible I can flick popcorn kernels towards the screen whenever they depicted my country wrong.

Edited by mydiamond

Fury is ok...but it suffers from similar ailments as A.S....If you like action (if you liked Saving Private Ryan), then you should like it. But it lacks realism and a non-cliche storyline...everything is predictable. It has more action than A.S., so I didn't fall asleep like I did in A.S....so I guess I like Fury more :D

Theory of Everything is well worth watching...amazing acting all around. I predict Eddie Redmayne taking the Best Actor Oscar.

I'd be careful about that popcorn flicking Liv...you'd probably end up with all your popcorn supply at the floor at the foot of the screen and that would be a terrible waste of money :rofl: (nevermind all the innocent bystanders you might hit :D )

Thanks! Guess I need to download Theory of Everything though. No cinema near me plays that :( and Jaimie I'm definitely watching The Imitation Game now :) x

EDIT: ooh boy, IMDb says they shoot in Malaysia instead of Indonesia because they thought nobody would be able to tell the difference anyways. I need the largest tub of popcorn.

Edited by mydiamond

The theory of Everything is excellent. It shows the gradual deterioration of Prof' Hawkings health from motor Neurone disease.

It also shows the effect it has on his family and life.

Well worth watching