Aggression

Just picked Ela-Yona from day camp. It wasn't a good day. After her lunch break they were reintroducing her to the other dogs, and she bolted to another dog with what they said was aggressive behavior. She was removed from the room and given one on one play for the afternoon. She plays with intensity but has NEVER acted this way before and we are at a loss as to how to respond to it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and how did you deal with it? She comes home and behaves almost like an angel. A real Jeykle and Hyde. Please help. I don't want her in camp again until we learn how to address the situation. I know that the change will be with us not her. Thank you all in advance.

Alan

Were the other dogs huskies or the people around 'husky people'?

I know from personal experience that many owners are not used to husky-style play. Huskies are very vocal and can play pretty rough, it can sound and look quite alarming... if people are not used to this it can easily be misinterpreted as aggression. I don't know if this was the case in your situation??

Lots of people freak out when my girl plays with their dogs because she is rough and very vocal, but she isn't being aggressive. People just don't understand it's how huskies play, even some dogs get confused which is why I have to introduce her to other dogs with her next to me being very calm so she doesn't accidentally scare them. This might be the case here. Maybe ask for a video if they have CCTV recording all the time.

This is a doggie day camp. She has been there many times before and there are other huskies that do come to camp also. She has had the pleasure of playing with up to 5 other huskies at one time. The staff is very familiar with her and how she plays. There has never been any reports of this behavior before. We have no control over how they introduce the dogs into the play area. Could it be poor introduction or her just being excited or do we have a real problem?

Alan

Its very hard to know if there is a problem. Perhaps you can visit them and see if you can have a more in-depth chat to try and better determine the exact details of the incident.

I would always err on the side of caution and seek out help from a good behaviourist or trainer. 

Hi. How exactly was she being aggressive?

My boy will sometimes rush up to other dogs because he's excited and quite often there will be a lot of noise and rearing up.  This could be seen as aggressive behaviour but it really isn't.  

Maybe there was a new member of staff who just isn't used to husky play?

Ok, Clare's description is the closest to the actions described by the staff. She was removed from play by a staff member who is very well known to Ela-Yona and her playing habits. That being said I will contact a trainer refered by a friend and see if she can be placed in a control enviroment with other dogs to see her reaction and how we can work with her. Will keep you all informed to our results. Thank you.

Alan

• 8 months later...

I know it has been a long time since the original story but, here is the finish to the story. Ela-yona was not at fault. There was an employee, new there,  who was not properly screened and was afraid of "large dogs". she was reassigned and the problem was averted.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I always carry a muzzle in new situations for both mine. The are usually nervous themselves however settle pretty quick after some time. Eski is quite jealous of Chester who is just soppy. This worked great at Husky Camp this year in May and both eventually started playing with others. Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I always carry a muzzle in new situations for both mine. They are usually nervous themselves however settle pretty quick after some time. Eski is quite jealous of Chester who is just soppy. This worked great at Husky Camp this year in May and both eventually started playing with others. Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk