Trials And Tribulations

mydiamond

Things just can't go smoothly can they?

Fact #1: you can't get a social security card if you're not yet hired. Fact #2: you can't start your job if you don't have a social security card. Fact #3: you have to wait 3-5 weeks until your card get issued. See a problem there? I do, since winter break starts in four weeks (including Thanksgiving and finals week). Conclusion: I don't get to start working until spring semester starts. That's January 2015.

I'm not exactly upset... I mean, there are only two active weeks until winter break anyways. I got hired way too late into the semester. But I just feel like whatever plan I make never goes well. I know that's just life and things will always jump out of nowhere to surprise you, but cooomeee oooon....

In another news, True Blue got fin rot again. I really don't know why. I just wake up one morning and his caudal fin sports brand new ruffles. Off to 'the hospital' he goes. I'm sure he'd be fine in 2-3 days, but once again, why can't things go right *just once*? :(

-- end of rant --

:grouphug:  Doesn't matter how hard you try, things never quite go the way you expect.  Just have to learn to ride that roller coaster of life and go with the flow. xxx

Hope True Blue gets better soon......can you get the water checked out?  Is the temp. the right level?  Some breeds are more susceptible than others to fin rot unfortunately.  :(

Grrrr I'm on my detective mode now. I've just spent 90 minutes this morning cleaning his main tank. I even *bleep*ing scrubbed the pebbles individually. *Something* inside that main tank is carrying bad bacterias and I hate to not know which and how come! Gotta agree though Bettas are just prone to fin rot like Huskies are prone to upset tummy :(

All I can think of is when you clean out the tank are you changing too much water?  From what I can remember of my fish tank days,  you're not supposed to clean out more than half of the tanks water at a time as it can create "new tank syndrome" and send those ammonia levels skyrocketing again.....I think that was the reason why anyway...it's been a few years so I could be wrong. 

Hmmm :huh: for fin rot, it is recommended to do a whole 100% water change because there's bad bacteria in that water. Theoretically as long as the filter isn't changed the tank chemistry should stay the same... or at least highly similar. I'll do another ammonia test to make sure though x

Can't hurt. :)   To be honest with you, you probably know considerably more than me about how to treat fin rot. I'm just trying to remember things from way back when and it's all a bit hazy in my head.....nothing new there. :P

edit: although i did  just remember that when the water quality is poor  to do a big water changes every day for a week and then every other day and then gradually reduce it from there until you're back to a normal level.  Once you've established a good harmonious bacterial level of good bacteria then it's back to the smaller water changes.  Does that sound right to you?  Or am I going slowly insane?  Don't answer that!  ha ha ha. :rofl:

I'm still learning myself :lol: found an awesome mentor in this fish forum Elyse showed me

EDIT: Kati, the filter created currents in the water if that's what you mean :o as for oxygen, I really don't know how to test for dissolved oxygen. But what I do know is that Bettas have the labyrinth organ to absorb oxygen from the surface... which is why a Betta tank should never be filled to full capacity. Is it relevant? Is it not? :shrug:

EDIT #2: This is Blue on Wednesday night.

post-2850-0-21816900-1415999234_thumb.jp

Thursday morning! :(

post-2850-0-20995500-1415999231_thumb.jp

post-2850-0-91828800-1415999229_thumb.jp

Just a little update on my roller coaster life. I scored 86% on my third (second last in this semester!) Math exam which I'm not happy about. I thought I'd score at least 90% for sure. But in another news, my Teacher Education professor lavishly praised my latest critical essay and gave it a whole 100% :o he said I make "very strong points" and I should "keep it up!" :wub: Teacher Education is one class I never expect myself to earn a full 100%. Heck, I was over the moon when I got 85% on my first paper. But look what happened now! :o

In another news, I brought True Blue's story to this fish forum. Somebody suggested the idea that it's not fin rot, but an injury instead. "If it's really a water quality issue, he wouldn't have recovered so quickly!". So is it the silk plant? Is it the Spongebob house? Nobody could be sure, but I'm throwing away both ornaments. I'm getting live plants and a real "Betta-safe" ornament instead.