Game Of Thrones And Twilight Films Blamed For Huge Rise In Number Of Huskies Being Abandoned

robke

That is really sad. :(

One thing I have noticed is that from one decade to the next there is always a trend or fashion with regards to dogs.  When I was little everyone wanted to buy a doberman/rottweiler/GSD, then it moved on to staffordshire bull terriers, then 'handbag' dogs, and now it's the turn of the husky.  Once popularity starts to wane or the novelty wears off then the supply exceeds demand and there's an increase in these poor animals being turned into shelters.  I would imagine that it's worse with a breed such as a husky because of their specific needs and requirements.  :( 

Its not the films that should be blamed its the people who buy these dogs, any dogs, that don't think beyond the initial cute puppy day... Ok I brought a Husky (and had my wish a GSD) for my daughter and I knew she would leave most of the walking looking after to me an Marc.  But and this is the big but I knew what I was letting myself in for and that the commitment is for there whole life time.

I think Kids and parents should be educated as part of schooling about the serious consequences of buying any animal.. Rabbits  and other small furries are one of the most  deserted, neglected and misunderstood.  I've rescued all my small furries from animal shelters, Stroppy my white rabbit from a pet shop (he was in a glass box on his own 1000mm by 500mm I couldn't stand to see him like that).  All I had to do was sign a bit of paper....

The law states a person has a duty of care for all animals they own but any one can still buy a pet....with minimal thought.   

Yep, it has happened before with GSDs, Dalmatians, Pitbulls...and now huskies.  Its really sad. :(

As soon as I saw the show (never read the books), I just knew it would come down to this. It almost always does...

One guy yelled out to me 'Winter is Coming!' when he saw me walking Suka. He doesn't even look like a wolf, and definitely not a dire wolf. Gah - some people! (Okay, his coat may be wolfish, but that's about it!)

:erm: Why do people do this though?  It puzzles me. 

I mean I thought Dexter was brilliant but I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy myself a beginners set of knives to get rid of the nasty people in the world.  Why does it have to be innocent animals that people have sheep mentality about.

:huh:  Not saying that the Dexter comparison should be adopted either.

:erm: Why do people do this though?  It puzzles me. 

I mean I thought Dexter was brilliant but I didn't feel the need to rush out and buy myself a beginners set of knives to get rid of the nasty people in the world.  Why does it have to be innocent animals that people have sheep mentality about.

:huh:  Not saying that the Dexter comparison should be adopted either.

Because people see these dogs on TV, and think it would be 'cool' to have one. Or, they see their favourite celebrity with their dog, and they want to emulate that.

Most have no idea that is takes a lot of time and effort to raise a dog, even more so for difficult breeds. Some even don't know how big they will grow up to be.  :facepalm: 

Wolf-dogs are in this situation too. They are a status symbol more or less, and its disgusting.

Edited by SolitaryHowl