1 Year Old Husky Nipping (Mouthing) Guests, Family And My 2 Year Old!

Suggestions needed! 

Kodi is a one year old husky that still has lots of energy.  He gets a morning and evening walk/run.  During the day he sleeps in the house and is totally chill.  I'm off work this summer (school teacher) so he and our other dog don't have to be crated as much.  His most annoying behavior is his biting/mouthing.  He does this behavior in two situations mostly.  One, when people come over he barks, jumps and mouths to greet.  To stop that I hold him back by the collar, try to make him sit or lie down and then let people approach him, or I put him outside if he is over the top.  He does calm down after a while and he will submit generally...

2nd situation is when I go outside with my daughter (2.5) to play or mow the lawn etc....  He will come outside too.  he tends to want to play and to initiate play he will run full tilt at a person and jump or bit/mouth their arm.  If I'm not super attentive he does this to my daughter, she cries, I can't even get him to sit or down as he keeps running around the yard in excitement.  If I play fetch or tug of war with him it helps a bit but he still gets like this again and again until I give up and go inside.  Yesterday this happened after dinner despite the 10km run he went on in the morning.    I know his intension is to get us to play- but he does it in a dog way not a people acceptable way.    He doesn't want to fetch balls much but will go for his toy duck a bit if I drop everything I'm doing and engage him.  I'm super frustrated that we let it get like this and that I am fearful to have anyone over.  He has bitten all of us, broken skin on my husband, myself and my father in law.... and annoyed other family members.  I want to feel safe to invite friends over with small children but right now I don't.

Suggestions????

You've said he'll calm down when removed from the room for a bit , I would use that to your advantage , whenever he gets hyper in or outside he's removed from the room till he's calm once he's calm he can come in if he starts to play up again he's back in the other room , a long training line attached to his collar might help with this too ( it's a long lead without a handle so it doesn't get caught on anything)

I agree with Nixy, I also whole heartedly would encourage you to get a good trainer and or a behaviourist to help you through this. It is no fun to go through this and as Kodi is now around teenage years he is going to continue to push boundaries. 

It can be sorted out with some hard work and a behaviourist will just make it a bit easier for you and your family. Best of luck and keep us updated  :)

Heartily with Nix.  Dog are pack animals and the thing they hate worst is to not be able to be with their pack ( that's y'all )

I've often suggested that a dog in training have a lead on at all times; you can't correct them if they run off; if you have them on a leash, they can't run off.

One thing that I've found that helps is to "stake them out" to something ( door knob, table leg, etc ) that is close enough that they can see what's going on, but can't be a part of it.  When they calm down, bring them back in, at the first sign that they're going to act up, take them to time out again!  If they continue to act up when they're in a "local time out" then take them to another room or stake them out outdoors until they calm down.

It's kinda cute in a puppy but when they start approaching "adult" it becomes more problematic, it would have been easier to correct twhen he was a puppy, it's going to take more time and effort now.

Final note;  while it's not important in this topic, would you please fill out your profile.  There are times where the right answer will depend on us having some idea of where you are.

OK here is what I added to my profile: 

We (my husband and daughter) have two purebred Siberian Husky Dogs. Aura is 4 years old and used to be very challenging, but now is an amazing running and life partner.   She listens mostly and will be aloof sometimes.  Kodi is one year old and is very big boy- 70lbs already (his dad was big) and he is strong, loves to pull and run.  He is a submissive dog overall with LOTS of energy.  We take both on walks, hikes, runs and even dog scootering.. mostly one at a time as they will pull more together than separate.  We have long term plans to get a kick sled for the winter.  We have a large backyard with a 6 foot fence and have a kiddie pool for our LO and dogs.  Kodi loves to swim and will go to the beach, Aura prefers to just get her feet wet.

I don't know that a long term situation is to put Kodi inside when we are outside or put him outside when guests are over.  When I said he calms down eventually, that is after greeting a guest or after running HARD in the yard if we can get him to run laps (by clapping, playing and chasing).  

Interesting tidbit-  I took him for a quick walk this AM, it was quite warm, he was tired and loose leash as we finished.  We went straight to the backyard and I worked on mowing while both dogs and my 2.5 year old milled about.  It was mostly fine.  He only went for my daughter once, which I used my stern voice to get him to leave her alone.  He does respond to a strong presence or voice. 

What do you think about a water sprayer in the house to cut him off if he goes to jump or mouth someone?  I agree that putting him on a leash when people arrive will increase control..  I also thought about using small treats to reward him for sitting to greet and waiting for someone to approach.

what do you guys think?

My dog did EXACTLY this. To the point of leaving us with marks, bruises, scratches, etc and me being afraid to be in the yard. There are a few options for outside. One is to do as Al suggested and leave a leash on him outside. When he starts getting out of control, grab the leash, step on it, and make him sit and calm down. The second it what finally did it for us, although I still feel badly about it. One day Chula was doing her crazy running, nipping, jumping routine and I saw her coming at me full speed. I lifted up my knee to protect myself and she came ramming right into it. It knocked her on her butt.

Honest, that was the last time she ever did that. 

She still gets crazy now and then, but if I stand still and tell her to sit, she will. If I am clapping in her face or trying to get her to run, she will still jump on me - but now I can control the game and get her to stop. I was really terrified that I would never be able to be outside with her or have other people in the yard, but she's fine now.

Edited by Chula