Green Acres Kennel Tragedy (Warning - Very, Very Sad)

Chula

Have you folks been following this story? It is just awful and unimaginable and scares the crap out of me. Luckily I have toured Chula's daycare facility and I can see that it is always attended, but it makes me terrified to leave her overnight anywhere. :(  These poor, poor doggies.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-southeast-valley/gilbert/mcso-17-dogs-die-at-gilbert-boarding-facility

It's tragic, I'll give you that ... any time someone's dog dies when it's under someone elses care there's always going to be the question "Did they take care of him, like I would?"  When it's 17!!  There was definitely something very wrong there.

The dog who chewed through the wall and electrical wire was obviously stressed and it doesn't take all that long for a dog to do a lot of damage ( don't we all know that scenario!? )  But I have to ask how the other 16 died?  Heat related?  I don't know that I'd accept that at face value.

Way too many questions pop up in my mind.  And Emma brings up one of the first ones.  The kennel owners were out of town and they had their (presumably adult?) children watching the kennel ... so I can see a lot of things being said over the phone to try to cover some tail but .....

I think what is most distressing is that they kept (at least) 20 dogs in a small room overnight without kennels with EXPOSED WIRES!!! and apparently without any monitoring and they see this as a completely reasonable way to board dogs.

I assume the room is not properly insulated or ventilated, and with all those dogs in there adding to the heat, I suppose it's possible they overheated - but I can't imagine in the six hours they were supposedly left alone. 

But there is definitely a LOT that is fishy about this story. If I was one the deceased dog's owners, I would not rest until I had answers.

Accident or not they should be charged with 17 counts of neglect of an animal.  First, the housed dogs should never have had access to chew on wires.  And second, the fact that they tried to lie about it first suggests that they felt responsible.  Absolutely horrible :(

Investigators are looking at Austin and Logan Flake, the son and daughter-in-law of U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz. Logan Flake is the Hugheses' daughter; she and her husband were in charge of boarding operations when the deaths occurred.

Right! I'm sure we can expect justice in this case. 

I tend to like the idea of an "in home" boarding facility.  It's a great way to allow the dogs to socialize.  Their intentions may have been the best, but as the saying goes "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

There is so much wrong with this, from the state level on down .....

Yeah, I think there are a lot of problems. They lied to people about how many dogs they have on property at any time. I'm sure they didn't tell them they'd be sleeping in a room with 20 other dogs. I'm sure they didn't show them exposed wires. 

I'm sure they didn't intend to harm the dogs, but it sounds to me as though they were extremely negligent, and that this isn't the first incident they've had. There was another incident a few weeks earlier where a dog was left for a few days and got chemical burns all over his body from spilled paint, and they didn't contact any vets. And they had a million reasons and excuses why it wasn't their fault then, too.

It seems to me this is a situation where the owners saw a money making opportunity with no regulation. If they really, truly LOVED dogs, they would never have put those poor dogs in that situation to begin with.

People who won't accept responsibility for their own actions infuriate me! (and that's putting it mildly!!)

The story that "they got loose" was stupid, the truth had to come out shortly.

What might have started out as a couple taking care of a couple of dogs - and this is supposition on my part - apparently became a money making opportunity they couldn't pass up.  Too bad that the dogs had to suffer for it.

^^ That's the read I get from it too. When the money starts to come in, and MOST dogs are probably pretty low-maintenance, it probably gets pretty easy to just keep accepting more. But truly, I can't imagine any owner who is bothering to pay $20 for boarding would allow their dog to sleep in a room like that with that many other dogs. 

TBH looking at those "facilities" I wouldn't want my dogs staying there anyway. I have been looking around whilst on my travels to see if I could find a suitable kennels to place my lot in if needed. I have looked at no end of places and I have only found one which I was almost happy about. I say almost as the fences weren't high enough but I was assured that the fencing around certain rooms would be at a height of 8 ft to cater for huskies.  The rooms were better than some hotel rooms that I've stayed in.

The owners of these kennels need to be charged IMHO.

Gary