Floppy Ear...

I've looked in the pics section and all of your Huskies have ears standing up. Smokey has had her one ear 'floppy' for 3 days now... is this just her trying to be cute? It doesn't look like something is wrong with it and she can lift it up, but it's hanging like that the whole time, and it's always the same ear :D

post-11912-0-77731200-1402766957_thumb.j

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pups quite often have one ear like that. All my pups did until they got a bit older. They then go through the bat ear period where their ears are to big for their bodies They look really funny then. My Sapphire, unfortunately, didn't really recover from this period as her ears are still quite large but we still love her all the same

Floppy ear.

.002-13.jpg

Bat eared.

005-11.jpg

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

Just a note of caution, I'm told that if you play with it to try to make it stand up you may damage the cartilage and it will never stand up right.

I take it you mean the ear Al. :rofl: :rofl:..............Sorry, couldn't resist.

Gary

What Al means is don't rub the ear to try to aid it to stand up. There is a risk of damaging the cartilage in the back of the ear. I was warned about this with my pups as well. Let it sort itself out.

Gary.

Edited by Keeonah

Uh, no,  from what I've heard (emphasis on that)  people have tried to use devices to tape the dogs ears up (see this link re GSD's) and that's what causes problems.

As he says in the GSD article, give the pup a chance and they'll probably stand up on their own.  When you're petting them, scratching their ears, they have control over them and can stand them up / lay them back / flop them over so no harm done there.

I take it you mean the ear Al. :rofl: :rofl:..............Sorry, couldn't resist.

Gary

Hey, this is a family forum!!!!  :doglaugh:

What Al means is don't rub the ear to try to aid it to stand up. There is a risk of damaging the cartilage in the back of the ear. I was warned about this with my pups as well. Let it sort itself out.

Gary.

Ok, noted... no ear playing/rubbing until bat ears arrive :D

Cindy, while both of mine are adults and rescues (so I didn't get to "enjoy" the puppy stage) and while they may lay them back when we're in the jeep (noise abatement?) they generally stand up.

However, as much as I play with Avalanche's ears he'd have the excuse if his drooped.  One of the ways I'll get him wound up to play is to grab an ear, which makes him "come up" and then we're on for a few minutes of battle royal.  Obviously I don't grab his ears hard enough to hurt him, he can pull out of my grip with no effort.

One comment made on another Husky forum is that the floppy ear syndrome seems to be common when they start to teeth ( now that's an interesting "coincidence"?)... but she should be able to stand them upright by a couple of months.

Gary, love the expression in the bat ear picture!!!!

So according to what I've read in Al's linked article, normal playing and head/ear scratching/rubbing is ok then?

Only when you start to play Frankenstein that you actually do damage :(

I'd think I agree with that comment ... Edited by Al Jones

One comment made on another Husky forum is that the floppy ear syndrome seems to be common when they start to teeth ( now that's an interesting "coincidence"?)... but she should be able to stand them upright by a couple of months.

I just read that about the teething online as well! I noticed this afternoon that there was a bit of blood on her chew toys, and she has been a bit weird with eating her kibble the last two days. She'd take a mouth full and then spit it out again as soon as she gave the first chew on them... guess I'll have to go search for teething topics :D

I would never ever get a pup ever D: not because "there are too many great dogs in the shelter"... alright, partially because of that, but mostly because I'm just not patient enough to deal with a pup. Even Diamond made me pull my hairs out. I can't imagine me dealing with a two-month old pup that needs potty break every two hours!

I would never ever get a pup ever D: not because "there are too many great dogs in the shelter"... alright, partially because of that, but mostly because I'm just not patient enough to deal with a pup. Even Diamond made me pull my hairs out. I can't imagine me dealing with a two-month old pup that needs potty break every two hours!

Yes, that side of puppies suck!!!! But it's just so great picking a puppy and then it growing up before your eyes... like waiting for a Christmas present to open ;)

I get that there's lots of shelter dogs, my dad adopted his BC from one, but you never know what to expect even if it's not a mut... his BC was abused and hit with power cords, so he can't show him power cords or he'll go mad and wants to destroy it! He even chewed through one that was on!!!! Luckily he was fine and nothing happened to him ;) but 6 years after adopting him and he's still unpredictable at times :(

Not all shelter dogs come with such a heartbreaking background story. I don't mind dogs that are "perfectly imperfect" either :) at least they don't ask me to set the alarm at 1 AM in the morning! Ha! :P

Who said anything about 1am????? I never take them out after 11...but then you'd have to get up at like 6am and run for the puppy first ;) and I'm not a morning person... :D