Help me figure out how old is Polar?

aikibujin

So Polar was a stray that my friend found wondering the streets. They found her around Oct. 20th, and I adopted her when I got back home about a month ago. We figure she was about 3-4 months old when my friend first found her, but I'd like the experienced folks on the forum to take a look and see if that's a good estimate.

This is what she looked like a few days after my friends found her, she was pretty dirty and her coat wasn't looking very good. She also had skin rash on her front legs which she stratched at a lot.

med_gallery_975_180_89300.jpg

med_gallery_975_180_43007.jpg

This is her size compared to a 11-month old female St. Bernard.

med_gallery_975_180_76722.jpg

And the following two photos are taken recently, two months after she was found on the street, and one month after I adopted her.

med_gallery_975_180_51883.jpg

med_gallery_975_180_17657.jpg

So what does everyone think? How old was she when she was first found?

Does she have all her adult teeth?. Thats usually complete around the 4-5 month mark.

Hard to judge when shes obviously had a rough start to life and she could well be developmentally behind in size, but I would say around the 5 month mark.

Without her true date of birth, once you have estimated her age, give her a 'honorary' birthday B)

hmm i dunno if its just me but she looks like a malamute she looks big specially next 2 the st bernard - but yeah adult teeth normally fall out n get replaced inbetween 4 to 6 months have u had a vet look at her they can usually give u a rough estimate ov old dogs are we rescued bings n they told us he was around 3 years old when we got him

Does she have all her adult teeth?. Thats usually complete around the 4-5 month mark.

Hard to judge when shes obviously had a rough start to life and she could well be developmentally behind in size, but I would say around the 5 month mark.

Without her true date of birth, once you have estimated her age, give her a 'honorary' birthday B)

Thank you Lyn. I haven't found any loose teeth yet, so as far as I know, she's got all her adult teeth. And the reason I'm trying to find out her estimated age is exactly as you suspected, to give her an honorary birthday.

hmm i dunno if its just me but she looks like a malamute she looks big specially next 2 the st bernard - but yeah adult teeth normally fall out n get replaced inbetween 4 to 6 months have u had a vet look at her they can usually give u a rough estimate ov old dogs are we rescued bings n they told us he was around 3 years old when we got him

I don't really know the differences between malamute and husky, besides that malamutes are generally bigger than huskies. My friends have taken Polar to a vet shortly after they found her, the vet guessed she was around 4 months old then. But keep in mind that we live in a pretty small village in southwestern China. The closest vet for pets (as opposed to for horses and cows) is a 3-hr drive away, and I don't think they are really that knowledgeable about the breed.

I can't see any Malamute in her. She looks like a woolly-coated sibe to me, and definately looks like shes spent her life outside as a definate 'outdoor dog' coat on her.

Not all vets are good on estimating sibe age. they disguise their age pretty well. I asked the locum vet we saw for microchipping to guess the age of our boy when we first rehomed him. He reckoned about 5 years old.....Hes actually 11! ;):P

The first pictures Look like she was right smack in the middle of being 3 months old. Looking at the more current pics only i would say 5-6 months. Looking at both together I thiunk current age is mid 5 months. So I would say 5 Months old/ look at the teeth and see if there is any chipping on the bottom teeth. if there are chips on a good deal of the bottom front teeth... she likely hasnt lost them yet.

wow, Im surprised I didnt know anything about estimating age by teeth. If I was to go by that id say solo was def not 4 1/2 months

when he came to live with me. I think by size she actually does look to be around 5 or 6 months old though. Good luck Boer, how has

the training been going with polar?

Good luck Boer, how has the training been going with polar?

Erika, thanks for asking about Polar. I've had her for 4 weeks now, and she's quickly becoming a very big part of my life. She now knows "sit", "stay", "down", "release" (dropping anything she's eating/holding), ""go potty", come", "heel", "move" (to get her moving when she's in my path), "inside", "out", "off", "speak", and "quiet". She can also fetch a frisbee fairly well when there are no distractions. I'm tryig to teach her to play dead now, and also some of the mushing commands because eventually I'd like her to pull a bike. She doesn't respond to commands 100% of the time, she does better when she knows I have food or treat for her. She does "release" very well though, as this is the command I started to train her as soon as I got her. No matter if she's eating her dog food, chewing on a bone, playing with a toy, or just picked up some goat poop that she thinks is oh so tasty, she will drop whatever is in her mouth when I say "release" (even if she tries to take a few extra gulps of food before she stops). She heels ok now when she's in the mood, for example I just took her out for a 25-min jog, and she was running right next to me the whole time, including the warm up and warm down walk. If she gets in front of me, I just need to say "heel" and she will slow right down until her shoulders are even with my feet (which is where I try to train her to walk). Days like this make my heart fill with joy. But then there are days in which no amount of change of direction or other technique will get her to stop trying to walk in front of me, and sometimes it's so frustrating it puts me in a bad mood for the whole day. My girlfriend says I take better care of Polar than her. Haha!

I need to say oh wow! What a difference between when she was found and a month after you had her, she is beautiful! And she looks so well loved, healthy, and happy :)

It looks like she has her adult teeth now. Our pup, Kahtadin, started losing his back in the end of October (about 16 to 18 months old), and his adult ones were in by November (by about 20 months old). So she's probably 5 or 6 months old now, maybe a little older than that?