My Childhood Dog, Glacier, Has Skin Cancer...

Got a text from my Mom last night asking me if I could drive down there today to take my childhood dog, Glacier, to the vet because of what appeared to be a badly infected sore on one of his legs. So last night I didn't sleep much as I was trying to prepare myself to possibly have to say goodbye today. Once at the vet's office she poked and prodded at the spot we were concerned about. She concluded that it was skin cancer but wanted to make sure so she took a sample and checked it on a slide. This confirmed that it was indeed skin cancer and looked the way it did because he had been licking and chewing on it even though it didn't appear to cause him pain. There is a chance that it'll get bigger and is possible that it could spread, but considering that he's 13 years old, isn't in pain, and is otherwise in really good physical condition my Mom decided that he didn't need surgery right now...

188719_205910946089757_100000125594579_8

Thanks everyone, he is a very sweet boy but despite his age is still a happy boy full of life, until it starts interfering with his quality of life Mom probably won't do anything about it. If it was Champy that had it I'd be having him there for surgery Tuesday morning, but Champ is significantly younger and I can understand that Mom doesn't think that it's worth the risk to be a 13 year old dog through surgery when the cancer could just come back later.