Dogs And Uncooked Rice

If I'd had power last night, I'd probably have started this thread then but with a lot different tone .... but at the moment things are looking good.

A couple of months back I bought a 25# bag of rice - I use a lot in my own cooking so that's a lot but not unreasonable.  Problem is, before I had used it all I found some extra protein in it ... and dumped what was left out back figuring I'd feed the birds (not good for birds, I know) and the mice (like, maybe if I feed them outside, they'll stay outside?)

Sasha's been on a diet for a couple of months now trying to get her weight down to something reasonable for her size (80 pounds is about 20 too much for her size).  Needles to say she's been eating anything she can get her teeth into - and she found the pile of rice.  Not Good!!  I saw her eating it and got her away from it pretty quickly but didn't know how much she'd eaten, hence didn't know what to expect.  An upset stomach at the least, bloating at the probable worst.

<< TMI warning!! >> This morning I took her out so she could do whatever and her normal "3 - 4 sections of a Tootsie Roll" ended up being about like someone's old Havana Cigar.  Okay, that's good ... but her stomach is still pretty hard ...

Took a run in to see the Vet (( see, yes, I *do* go to the vet sometimes! ))  the normal "How's she acting?" Normal but a little lethargic.  "Is she eating?"  No, but I didn't offer her anything this morning either but she didn't ask.   He suggested getting a stool softener (human type) and gave me a laxative (tuna flavoured, yum!) Watch to see if she bloated and to call him if she looked like she was ...

Got home and we went for a walk where she watered everything she could find.  Came inside and gave her a chance to settle and then gave her a child's portion of the stool softener ... it wasn't 5 minutes and she said she *really* wanted to go out.  She left two of the "nicest" khaki piles (pun on the British and American use intended!) you ever saw ... yeh and I've just given her a stool softener, this should turn out real good in an hour or so!!

*She* gives me more reason to be concerned that Avalanche even thinks about!  Foolish dogs!!

Hope things go back to normal soon!  I just hate knowing what is coming. Like the calm before the storm.  Exactly how I felt when Kodiak ate my turkey....which turned into 5 days of nastiness

Well, I"m on day two after the fact - no bloat, no blockage but the aftermath is less than pleasant!  I fed her about half of her normal food yesterday ( for some reason rice just didn't seem to be the food to go with :) ) and she didn't really seem interested in eating.  This morning she was setting over her bowl waiting, so I'm assuming her tummy feels better.  She just finished eating and I'm on my first cup of coffee so shortly we'll go take a walk and see if things are getting better ...

I do have to give her credit for letting me know when she needs to go out - remember this was the girl who dumped in the kitchen overnight for months! - there have been a couple of times she's gotten downright insistent (and with cause as it turned out).

I have been lucky with mine too that when that happens they have always made it outside!!!  Well, except once :(  Nikko was just 5-6 months old and could not hold it down the stairs.  Needless to say it was an awful mess.  That was the last time he had the Frosty Paws ice cream for dogs!