Hey everybody!

Hey everyone,

Glad I found this forum, looks like a lot of useful information on here. I've got a 5 month old Husky (Maya), 7 month old Bichon Frise (Bella), and a 7 year old Black Lab(Sadie). I'm having a little trouble getting Maya to listen to me especially when she knows there's food around. She is the most beautiful dog I have ever seen and I am so excited to watch her grow up share the memories/pictures with you all.

Also, while switching dogs to different foods how long do they usually have diarrhea? I did slowly ween her off her old food by mixing them but shes had it for about 5 days now.

11 Weeks Old

Maya11Weeks.jpg

Currents:

l_432b35812b8040fab153cdef944a6c7a.jpg

Maya.jpg

l_5b85e09a071343ffa45716d8cc3df70b.jpg

Welcome to the pack! Maya is gorgeous. It's those eyes of hers that really reach out and grab you.

Huskies have selective hearing. Their prey drive is extremely high, and often times, if it does not suit their interest at the moment to respond to your call, they simply will ignore you. That's one reason why most will tell you to never let a Husky go off lead unless in a safe, confined, and controlled area.

When I have switched from one food to another, I take about ten days to do it. I start with 3/4 old and 1/4 new. I do that for two days. Then I go 2/3 old and 1/3 new for two days. Next 1/2 and 1/2 for two days. Then 1/3 old and 2/3 new for two days. Followed by 1/4 old and 3/4 new for two days, and then all new.

Huskies can have sensitive digestive systems. Some foods just don't sit well. One Husky can eat one food with no problem. That same food for another Husky will result in loose stools. Have you had the stools tested for parasites? If not, especially with other dogs, it might be a good idea to get them all tested. We recently whent through a bout of whip worms (they get those from rooting in the dirt.) Whip, hook, and round worms can all cause diarrhea. It's important to clean up the waste from the yard on a regular basis. If worms do show up in the stool test, it will be necessary to deworm all your dogs. We just finished deworming Zoya, and will repeat every three months.

Not sure what food you are feeding Maya, but take a look at the ingredients on the bag (assume it's a kibble). Here are some red flag ingredients or words: corn, by-product, meal, beet pulp, corn gluten, chicken fat. Grain free foods are normally what I've fed my dogs. Many of the gorcery store/national brands are chock full of fillers, like corn and several forms of rice. A food that derives protien from three meat sources is what I look for. The higher up the list of ingredients, the more of that ingredient in the food. Also, a food that contains carrots, sweet potatoes, blueberries is a plus.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com is a good site to do research and compare dog foods.

There are also those who feed their Huskies BARF (bones and raw food). I'm not an advocate of that, but many are. You may want to do some research on that subject as well. Many times, I've seen posts on this board where raw chicken wings will firm up the stools.

thanks everyone! I must have been informed wrong, the breeder told me to mix the two foods but by the third day to be completely her new food. I am feeding her Blue Buffalo Puppy and when i let her out today it wasn't as runny so its looking good. Going today to get her picture taken with Santa and pick up some Advantage... shes been chewing at her feet a lot.

thanks everyone! I must have been informed wrong, the breeder told me to mix the two foods but by the third day to be completely her new food. I am feeding her Blue Buffalo Puppy and when i let her out today it wasn't as runny so its looking good. Going today to get her picture taken with Santa and pick up some Advantage... shes been chewing at her feet a lot.

Blue Buffalo is a very good brand of food. It may be that converting over a 3 day period was a bit quick and upset her digestive system. If that's the case, she'll eventually work through it in a few extra days.

Hiya, welcome to the forum :wave:

Maya is stunning - how do you cope with a 5 month husky & a 7 month Bichon Frise? :blink: More to the point, how does Sadie cope, or does she think she's still a pup too? :D

I think Mazz gave you everything you needed to know there ;) so hopefully Maya will get settled soon for you (added to rep, Mazz)

Look forward to seeing pics of Maya & Bella growing up (don't forget Sadie, too!) :)

the two puppies are definitely a handful but they love playing together so they take care of a lot of work for me. Sadie isnt a real big fan of either of them. She stays more to herself so when they invade her space she'll nip at them from time to time... I'll try and get a picture of all three of them

• 3 weeks later...