Rash Around Mouth

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of mine had a rash under her eye and after loads of tests and antibiotics, creams etc we discovered it was her food as I had recently changed her food. Once back on her normal food she was ok again.

what food was that you were usin? Troy was on eden hes now on hills prescription diet for allergies

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

To be honest going on what i've heard from others whos dogs do suffer from ZRD vets will always say that its the existing kibble allergy or dermatitis means they get commision for "prescription food". you could try getting some nutrazinc its available online from places like snowpawstore and it does work wonders xx

the rash seems to be going above mouth now so going to buy nutrazinc how much would he need aday? Hes 25-26kg

Also check the calcium levels in the kibble as Calcium prevents the correct absorption of Zinc which creates the problem. As Anneka said above me supplements can be good and shouldn't cause any harm regardless of whether it's zrd or not but make sure you don't give them at meal times. This is because of the calcium reasons.

so how would i add it into his diet?

the rash seems to be going above mouth now so going to buy nutrazinc how much would he need aday? Hes 25-26kg

so how would i add it into his diet?

I'm not entirly sure and the info on the websites is a little confusing to me but i've asked a friend and i'll get back to you when they let me know xx

Sean come join our group on FB, lots of info on there re ZRD.

It Doesn't Have to be a Very red looking area as that can be treated and is usually because the skin is aggravated.

Hills Diet will not help you. it doesn't contain enough zinc or vitamin A from what I remember. will re look at the kibble breakdown I've compiled over the last few years.

What Size Nutrizinc have you ordered as the different Sizes contain different sized measuring spoons.

fb group is : ZRD in sled dogs

Sean come join our group on FB, lots of info on there re ZRD.

It Doesn't Have to be a Very red looking area as that can be treated and is usually because the skin is aggravated.

Hills Diet will not help you. it doesn't contain enough zinc or vitamin A from what I remember. will re look at the kibble breakdown I've compiled over the last few years.

What Size Nutrizinc have you ordered as the different Sizes contain different sized measuring spoons.

fb group is : ZRD in sled dogs

hi i have joined your facebook page, the reason troy is on hills was because he was itching really badly so the vet said it could be allergies so he gave me that, sence been on that im sure the redness has got worse/spreading so what food would you recommend if he is allergic as since been on hills no more itching? Iv not orderd a tub yet what would be the best size to get?

hi i have joined your facebook page, the reason troy is on hills was because he was itching really badly so the vet said it could be allergies so he gave me that, sence been on that im sure the redness has got worse/spreading so what food would you recommend if he is allergic as since been on hills no more itching? Iv not orderd a tub yet what would be the best size to get?

Im feeding mine Raw now, as most of the kibbles don't contain enough zinc and vitamin A. Or anything else for a Dogs Recommended Daily Allowance in minerals or vitamins.

The people that are feeding kibble still are using something like CSJ Hike on, Fish4Dogs Salmon Finest

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/Salmon-Complete-4-Dogs.aspx

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=111#details

If yours will eat raw, would be worth trying some Fresh Sardines or Mackeral. You can use Tinned in water or Oil though its not as good.

A small piece of Ox Liver per day. around the size of a 50p.

The Redness, can lead to infections (Yeast infection generally) this can be controlled by adding in a capful of Apple cider Vinegar (Aspells) every few days to start. This was recommended to me and seems to work with mine. and makes it look a lot less sore for the dogs. Prior to using this in a 6 month period Blaze had 4 infections, since using it he hasn't had any (last 2 years)

However you do really need to get it confirmed, and the only way to do that is to request a biopsy. which they may be reluctant to do until they go through Everything else. But it is the only way I know of to Confirm if its ZRD. 

I have found that there are very few vets in the country that understand what ZRD is, and they all seem to tend to go through deciding its a allergy first and Will try and push there food on you.

The dosage of nutrizinc for maintenance in a 8oz tub is 2.5 of there scoops, This size should last you a Long time.

Im feeding mine Raw now, as most of the kibbles don't contain enough zinc and vitamin A. Or anything else for a Dogs Recommended Daily Allowance in minerals or vitamins.

The people that are feeding kibble still are using something like CSJ Hike on, Fish4Dogs Salmon Finest

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/Salmon-Complete-4-Dogs.aspx

http://www.csjk9.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=111#details

If yours will eat raw, would be worth trying some Fresh Sardines or Mackeral. You can use Tinned in water or Oil though its not as good.

A small piece of Ox Liver per day. around the size of a 50p.

The Redness, can lead to infections (Yeast infection generally) this can be controlled by adding in a capful of Apple cider Vinegar (Aspells) every few days to start. This was recommended to me and seems to work with mine. and makes it look a lot less sore for the dogs. Prior to using this in a 6 month period Blaze had 4 infections, since using it he hasn't had any (last 2 years)

However you do really need to get it confirmed, and the only way to do that is to request a biopsy. which they may be reluctant to do until they go through Everything else. But it is the only way I know of to Confirm if its ZRD.

I have found that there are very few vets in the country that understand what ZRD is, and they all seem to tend to go through deciding its a allergy first and Will try and push there food on you.

The dosage of nutrizinc for maintenance in a 8oz tub is 2.5 of there scoops, This size should last you a Long time.

thanks for getting back iv tried raw with troy be4 he loved it for five weeks or so and then would just turn his nose up every meal for four days so i stopped feeding it. He was also very itchy on the raw so he miby was allergic to one off the meats? I think id rather try another kibble the csj looks good to me? Would i still add in nutrizinc aswell with that kibble? Also i will buy the apple cider vinegar and add that aswell every other day, and ill take him to vets and ask if they can check for ZRD.

• 10 years later...
On 1/6/2024 at 2:27 AM, Bandits Mom said:

I bought the Nutrazinc it seams to be working but question? How long does it typically take for his mouth and ear to start looking normal again 

This post is 10 years old now.    I have never had reason to need zinc for my dogs  - however I would hazard a guess at at least a month for levels to rise sufficiently  -  it should at least stop it deteriorating  (if zinc deficiency is the cause).