help with a few q's ??

hii...

i was thinking of getting another husky puppy

and what would be the best way of getting it use to no leash at times.....

if i do get the puppy it will be a lead alot but just asking would it be better

taking it to puppy classes and just to the beach and places when little ???

like i want it to b able to run around places where theres not alot of people and actually have fun and not be ona huge lead

but when where finnished it goes back on a lead to go back to where the car is and stuff ??

malamutes seem to be a breed that can be let off the lead but having never owned one am not sure.

Mals have a similar prey drive to Huskies, so, although some of them do seem to be quite obedient (our friends have two that go off lead regularly) it only takes a glimpse of squirrel or rabbit for the prey drive to kick in and the obedience is forgotten.

I think it is really important for people to train their huskies to recall, as even in the best of all possible worlds, sh*t happens and your dog could slip its lead or get out of a hole in the fence. The training is best done in an enclosed, safe area.

It is also important to remember that as puppies, huskies will be very clingy and obedient and won't run far before coming back to you (and safety). As they grow, however, they tend to turn into bolshy teenagers who will behave when they want to, not when you want them to.

Mick

Mals have a similar prey drive to Huskies, so, although some of them do seem to be quite obedient (our friends have two that go off lead regularly) it only takes a glimpse of squirrel or rabbit for the prey drive to kick in and the obedience is forgotten.

I think it is really important for people to train their huskies to recall, as even in the best of all possible worlds, sh*t happens and your dog could slip its lead or get out of a hole in the fence. The training is best done in an enclosed, safe area.

It is also important to remember that as puppies, huskies will be very clingy and obedient and won't run far before coming back to you (and safety). As they grow, however, they tend to turn into bolshy teenagers who will behave when they want to, not when you want them to.

Mick

Good advice mick, i found out about there prey drive the other night, luckily he was on a lead but still almost dragged me over when he saw next doors cat lol. But as you said you never know whats round the corner and with wolfie being my first everything is all new to me, but thanks to this site and books i'm learning

Don't forget that prey drive can develop as the dog gets older, another reason why puppies appear more trust worthy off leash.

Even breeds like Border Collies aren't born with the ability to recall, a reliable recall is something that must be trained in any dog no matter the breed.

Mick

You explain it as I think it mick only so much better at putting it into words Rep added and TY :)

At the end of the day it's your decision to let them off - I've seen huskies off lead and they go back to their owners after a few shouts but better safe than sorry - I learnt the hard way - my boys were trained recall from the day they came home and were great - so much so that I thought I knew best and let them off lead - they were great for about 6 months then one day they ran across fields and ended up on a main road where I had to stop the traffic to get them back....never ever again will my two be off lead unless in a secure fenced off area :(

They don't mind though - I scooter with them now and they have long lines that they dart about on :)

Unfortunaltely, there's nothing you can do about it - it's the nature of the beast so to speak, huskies are not a breed that can be trusted off lead - in fact I don't think any dog can be trusted 100% off lead - if you're after another dog though it doesn't HAVE to be a husky - you could always look at a different breed but if you do make sure it's one of a similar size so that it doesn't get bounced about lol

f ur going sumwhere that doesnt have alot ov ppl about y not try a rly rly long training line Blaze has a 100 ft lead n i clip it on him n i dont hold the handle i just let him run (on a feild) only if i see another dog or he seems 2 b heading 2wards 1 ov the exits do i grab the lead n cuz its sooo long i dont have 2 chase him 2 grab the handle like i did with the 50ft lead i used 2 use