Doggie Daycare

Chula

As Chula is getting older, I am realizing that she is not sufficiently exercised by the walks and games of fetch that she is getting. I am in the process of looking at doggie day cares. 

There is one that is on my way to work that seems like an interesting concept, but was wondering what you all think. One of the things they do is a "training session" with your dog during the day. Do you think it's a bad idea for your dog to be trained while you aren't present? Will it confuse the dog as to who the trainer is vs who you are? Chula could definitely use some additional training, but I am concerned about me not being present to be trained as well!

Anyway, it is expensive, but it has wonderful reviews, and I like that the groups are always small. This is what they offer each day.

Walking - All dogs get walked as soon as they get to daycare. This is a time for them to check out who was here last and to “pottyâ€. They also get walked several times during the day in between the other activities to have some time with the staff.

Socialization - Dogs are grouped with 5 - 6 dogs who have the same play style so there won’t be any injuries or bullying. If a dog doesn’t play well with others he will have some time with a staff member to just hang out in the yard. Socialization groups are outside in our yards always with a staff member. The dogs get several play times depending on the weather. When the weather is great, they get to play time longer and several times outside. They play inside when it’s too cold or too hot or raining.

Break time - All dogs get a break in between the activities. This break is very important to dogs so they don’t get so aroused while in a group or with very high activity that the behavior takes a turn toward something we don’t want them to practice.

One on One - Dogs get at a minimum one training session a day. This training time may be practice of what they are learning in class, such as puppies who need extra practice session. It can be mental stimulation learning a trick, trying out the small agility equipment, body awareness games, impulse control games, or requested manners such as “stayâ€, down, sit, no jumping. The staff can work on Canine Good Citizen skills for just good manners. Some dogs just get one on one TLC. Others may get play a game of fetch to give more exercise.

Extra Activities - Teaching dogs how to use the treadmill is good mental and physical exercise.

I don't like the idea that they would be training your dog without you there. 

It says though, you can request that they reinforce behaviours they already know: such as they aren't allow on furniture, they aren't allowed to do this or that, etc. This will maintain consistency in Chula's life which is always a good thing! 

I want someone to teach her not to be crazy when guests come over! I have had zero luck!

They do also offer training and agility classes, so I might look into that as well. They have an orientation every Monday so I may check it out tonight. Can we post links to training places?

Edited by Chula

I would agree that I would not want someone else training my dog, especially Nikko, since I already went through all of the training with him. 

I love the thought of doggy daycare, but it's so expensive!  And the place down the road from me doesn't open until 8:30, which is too late.  it could cost me like $150 a week just for one :o Times that by 3 and I would be better off quiting work lol.

I am with ya on the jumping.  My dogs just go bezerk when I have company over.  I have to have all 3 on a leash and they won't calm down for about 15 minutes!  Nikko is doing better at not jumping, but he still does it when he gets too excited. 

I agree, it's really expensive.  I could never afford it for more than one dog. This place is $300 for 12 visits. I wouldn't take her every day, maybe 1-2 days a week so she can get out some of her energy and interact with other dogs in a structured way.

I use a doggy daycare for the rare days where I know I'm going to be out for 15 hours plus as I don't think its fair to leave the boys with my parents for that length of time lol! The place has kennels too where they have spent just one night so far... I was in London for a wedding a few weeks ago and I thought it was perfect to get them used to spending a night away from me. They were superbly behaved apparently and the kennel owner loves them to bits!! The kennels are in the middle of a huge fenced in paddock so the dogs get let out for an hours 'zoomies' twice a day :) I'm really impressed with them so far! For anyone in the Cambridgeshire area they are called Rockmeadow Kennels and I couldn't recommend them highly enough!

I want someone to teach her not to be crazy when guests come over! I have had zero luck!

They do also offer training and agility classes, so I might look into that as well. They have an orientation every Monday so I may check it out tonight. Can we post links to training places?

To answer your question: yes. You can post links to training places, as long as they don't have any dog for sale advertisements on them. 

I also don't like the idea of other people training my Dime in my absence. But other than that, it's basically sounds like one of the best doggie daycares I've ever heard about. My local one sucks  <_< btw I'm not saying all daycares are bad but since I had a bad experience with a doggy daycare, I'd suggest you to visit the daycare and see how their staffs handle Chula (plus the other dogs) before you decide to leave her there. Bit of mini rant here: my family needs to go out of town for one night last year and Diamond has to stay in a doggy daycare. It belongs to my mom's friend's daughter plus the ads sound promising. Playtimes, walkies, exercise... I can even opt for a VIP room that has an air conditioner  :o but nope turns out "playtime" means a couple of strokes on the head and "walkies" is just a couple of steps to their garden for the dog to relieve itself. Diamond came running towards me when I picked him up. He obviously look super bored locked inside a cage almost 24/7 poor boy!  :(

Looks interesting!

It is kind of confusing with the training though.  It almost seems like the training is an add-on you can purchase along with day care.  I don't know if it comes with the daycare package.

I would ask them about that.  I would be surprised that for $30 a day they would also do training, but ya never know!

This is the place I am considering. I did not have a chance to go to orientation last night. Had to work late :(

http://www.alldogadventures.com/node/5

I think they have a training program that you purchase separately. But daycare still includes one-on-one training time. I don't think it is a massive training session or anything, just individual time with staff to work on things. $30 a day for daycare in my city is EXPENSIVE! Most of them are in the $18-$20 range. 

we take ours to daycare twice a week. it keeps her energy more manageable. I love daycare for her and zoey absolutely loves daycare. its 8 hours of non stop playtime. 

just make sure the place requires pre screening for aggression and sociable dogs, and that they require vet history with bordetella for your dog. That way you know its more safe and you can trust the environment. 

I cant see not taking zoey to daycare at this point. 

We have several around here, and the highest one is Dogtopia which is $29 per day, but it is more upscale.  There is on just a few minutes from my house and it is only $20 a day, but none of them provide training

I think they have a training program that you purchase separately. But daycare still includes one-on-one training time. I don't think it is a massive training session or anything, just individual time with staff to work on things. $30 a day for daycare in my city is EXPENSIVE! Most of them are in the $18-$20 range. 

They require vaccination records, but they don't pre-screen for aggressive dogs. I think this is because if a dog is aggressive it is separated from the rest of the group. With 1:5 staff to dog ratio they probably can do a decent job of keeping escalating situations in check. None of the reviews mention any issues with aggressive dogs, and they received zero complaints to the animal protection people - which some of the other daycares have.

• 9 years later...