My baby boy got attacked

Hi all,

Took Sasha and Bailey to the dog park this evening and they were happily playing with two Staffies until some German Sheperd cross came in.

One of the Staffies who is a pup about 5mths old started barking and lunging at the dog and the owner removed the staffy.

The owner of the sheperdX moved his dog away, however the Staffy pup went back and started barking at it again.

At this stage Bailey decided to go and have a look so I quickly went down the hill to remove him as the owner of the ShperdX was restaing his dog as it was trying to sttack the Staffy pup. I didn't get there fast enough as Bailey went to sniff the sheperdX and he got bitten on the nose ;(

The wounds are only surface grazes and were not deep enough for the magic superglue vets put on.

I have cleaned it with some solution I had that vets gave me when Sasha had a skin allergey...just the pink discenfectent stuff and it does look alot better already.

Do pups tend to heal faster as they are young etc?? and will his nose go back to being black or will he have two pink dots when it heals??

WTF would someone bring his dog into a dog enclosure if he knew it would be aggressive and he actually said it was his first time at the park!!! It makes me sooo mad!!!

DSC_0001.jpg

Oh the poor love :(

WTF would someone bring his dog into a dog enclosure if he knew it would be aggressive and he actually said it was his first time at the park!!! It makes me sooo mad!!!

This is why I avoid dog parks wherever possible. Micha was attacked numerous times as a young dog and years later is still fear aggressive as a result.

I don't trust other owners enough to let my dogs run with strange dogs. As a general rule if you are going to use dog parks it's really important to have a solid recall on your dog so you can call them back to you when strange dogs come in. If I have my dogs off leash anywhere I call them back to me if I see a strange dog, it may sound paranoid but you just don't know how the other dog will respond. If I want to let them meet the other dog I will ask the other owner if their dog is friendly and then I might allow a controlled introduction.

I no longer trust that just because we're in the dog park that every dog we come across will be friendly :(

poor Bailey, I bet he was shocked - he only wanted to say hello ... are the wounds small puncture marks? I'd assume they'll heal no problem, & not be visible in a week or two ...

as you say, you don't go to a doggy park first time & let your dog go, not knowing how it will react in the environment ... what did the GSD X owner say to you?

I totally agree.. however this is the first time in the few years that I have taken Sasha and now Bailey that this result has occured. Sasha has scrapped with other dogs that have had a go at her but never has blood been drawn!!

Sasha is great with the recall and Bailey is good too, and getting better by the day.

I wasn't quick enough!!

poor Bailey, I bet he was shocked - he only wanted to say hello ... are the wounds small puncture marks? I'd assume they'll heal no problem, & not be visible in a week or two ...

as you say, you don't go to a doggy park first time & let your dog go, not knowing how it will react in the environment ... what did the GSD X owner say to you?

Not much....

" are your Huskies OK" (Sasha went to have a go after Bailey got nipped but I called her away)

"he has never done this before, my mate has two huskies and they get on great"

"we have two shitzus and he is afraid of them"

"I will be happy to pay for any vet costs"

I would prefer if you would just piss off... that was what I was thinking.

The older staffy went and had a go after Bailey got nipped also but came off second best with a cut to his throat!!!

Blimey! I think that he'd be better taking the dog to dog lessons not a doggy park - he needs to learn how to control & train his dog.

It's alright him saying his cross is afraid of 2 shitzu's, that is in his environment, totally different ... I hope Sasha & especially Bailey are OK after this, you don't want it frightening them.

Husky hugs to Bailey from Myshka & Diesel :)

happy to hear Bailey is ok and does not seem to be to affected, i hate ppl with off lead dogs. hubby as taken our 3 out this morning one at a time to run free but they only go off lead if no other dogs there that we dont know.

Odin as got a few pink marks on his nose after a few play fights with Loki they never went back to black as i hoped they would.

The GSD cross could have felt on edge if the staffy was jumping and barking at him, IMO the owner of the staffy was just as much in the wrong as the owner of the GSD cross. It's not ever acceptable to allow your dog to agitate other dogs by having them rush at them barking and carrying on. Even my beagle would snap at a dog who got all over her like that.

Not condoning the actions of the GSD owner, just thinking that it might not have been as clear cut as the GSD being the main instigator. Dog parks often create situations where dogs are all over each other and dogs can easily get aroused and full of adrenaline, leading to attacks/fights etc.

If you think of it from the GSDs perspective, he comes into the dog park and immediately the staffy is all over him, barking and carrying on and threatening him. He probably started to feel intimidated and uncomfortable. His owner moves him away but the staffy follows him continuing to agitate him. The GSD tries to warn the staffy to back off, but his owner holds him back, so his frustration and fearfulness builds. Then your pup comes over and the GSD, already feeling stressed and crowded by the staffy, reacts. Not saying that's what happened - just looking at it from another POV.

The GSD cross could have felt on edge if the staffy was jumping and barking at him, IMO the owner of the staffy was just as much in the wrong as the owner of the GSD cross. It's not ever acceptable to allow your dog to agitate other dogs by having them rush at them barking and carrying on. Even my beagle would snap at a dog who got all over her like that.

Not condoning the actions of the GSD owner, just thinking that it might not have been as clear cut as the GSD being the main instigator. Dog parks often create situations where dogs are all over each other and dogs can easily get aroused and full of adrenaline, leading to attacks/fights etc.

If you think of it from the GSDs perspective, he comes into the dog park and immediately the staffy is all over him, barking and carrying on and threatening him. He probably started to feel intimidated and uncomfortable. His owner moves him away but the staffy follows him continuing to agitate him. The GSD tries to warn the staffy to back off, but his owner holds him back, so his frustration and fearfulness builds. Then your pup comes over and the GSD, already feeling stressed and crowded by the staffy, reacts. Not saying that's what happened - just looking at it from another POV.

Really sorry that Bailey got hurt, but these were my thoughts when I read your OP and the follow up, what the owner said to you. He actually seems quite reasonable, offering to pay vet costs etc. No, obviously he shouldn't have bitten Bailey, but if he came into the park, minding his own business and the staffy went straight over and had a go, I can understand then how he might behave the way he did. Also, it was Bailey that went up to him, you say the owner was restraining him?

I'm really not having a go at you, honest, but having Diesel who is really not good with other dogs, I can see this from both sides. Did the staffy owner apologise to the GSD X owner?

It really stinks that some folks dont really think too much about what the dog might do if not removed from the situation. One day i was walking Chewy through our neighborhood (we were less than a block from the house) and a guy who was attempting to bike with a big staffy (and obviously was new to biking) not only lost his seat on the bike, but had to rush and grab his dog who was bullying chewy with mmouth open wide, teeth showing and a growl that actually scared me. He did say he was sorry but it was still scary, and I believed him, but I wondered why he had not found a safer way to bike with his dog and keep control over it (i.e. a strong bike attachment). Chewy was only 6 months at the time and had just gotten over supreme fear of cars, bikes, skates/boards, and other dogs...so another bigger dog lunging and trying to bite his face set us back a couple of weeks. It can be frustrating even more at the park. One guy had brought a 170 pound dog out to the park and that dog was aggressive about everything...needless to say I left early because the guy had no intention of stopping his dog from bullying other dogs and in fact looked right at me and told me it was chewy's fault for being submissive...isnt that wicked?? We've all been there at some point, I hope your pooch heals quickly and goes on enjoying life as he has before.

Glad to hear he is ok, but i dont understand how its the GSD fault? he was being restrained so i am assuming he was on a lead? otherwise im sure he would had attacked the Staffy, but by the sounds of it your dog was off lead? i might be wrong but could you be more clearer on what happened? as you have made it sound like its the GSD fault when all he has done is come into a dog park with a responsable owner and got harrased by a staffy then a bad timing hello from your dog......

Glad to hear he is ok, but i dont understand how its the GSD fault? he was being restrained so i am assuming he was on a lead? otherwise im sure he would had attacked the Staffy, but by the sounds of it your dog was off lead? i might be wrong but could you be more clearer on what happened? as you have made it sound like its the GSD fault when all he has done is come into a dog park with a responsable owner and got harrased by a staffy then a bad timing hello from your dog......

OK... well the GSD was being restrained by its collar. The staffy pup was barking at the GSD but not close enough to be attacked or to attack. Bailey wandered over and went to have a sniff at the GSD then he got snapped at.

A responsible owner would have kept his GSD on lead until it met the other dogs since it was the GSD first time at the park.

OK... well the GSD was being restrained by its collar. The staffy pup was barking at the GSD but not close enough to be attacked or to attack. Bailey wandered over and went to have a sniff at the GSD then he got snapped at.

A responsible owner would have kept his GSD on lead until it met the other dogs since it was the GSD first time at the park.

That's true, but a responsible owner would not have let their dog run up to it barking and carrying on, either. IMO the staffy's owner was also in the wrong.

kodah does not go to dog parks anymore because he doesnt like to share his toys with strange dogs besides my other dogs...he also gets aggressive over the other dogs toys, so being a responsibleowner :D i dont bring him, i wouldnt want someone to hurt him so i assume all other owners feel the same!

Hows he doing anyway? I hope he's recovered from his ordeal. These things are always upsetting, usually more so for us than the dog, who shakes it off very quickly :D