Turned down for rescue dog!! Gutted

Guest snowdog

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest snowdog

Look at how many pups they have bred in a short time. We also know of a breeder that has some stunning pups and have done it properly. I looked at some if the pedigrees On dreamwisher and and lot are too closely bred. This litter is 3/4 weeks old and they have another litter due in december, sorry huge alarm bells ringing,

terry

arnt they from another bitch though, the pup im looking at tommorow is 2/52 old and i gather the litter due in december is from her other bitch, ive heard a lot of good reports from people regarding these breeders, i didnt just look at the website and think oh nice looking website, i spoke with the people and also spoke with people who know of them, pleeease dont do this to me now, im going to see them tommorow :-(

Just ask them how many litters they have bred this year, All I am asking is dont rush into it, they may be very nice people. but have bred far too many litters, they don't show they dont work them, so its a cash crop,

I have had my say and good luck to you, sorry you changed your mind about having a rescue pup,

Terry

I don't mean to be funny, but Terry's advice shouldn't be taken lightly, she knows many of the bad breeders by seeing the dogs that go through welfare.

One thing I have learned is to research every breeder very carefully, i have seen many of the same names cropping up on sites like epupz breeding the same bitch in consecutive seasons, it's a shame they can't be named and shamed.

Guest snowdog

i didnt change my mind, i was turned down, and yes i cannot afford a pup in full till december although i have the deposit, and i dont know you or your friend, so please excuse me for being rude, but i havnt even seen the pups yoiur friend has and dont know anything about them.

Guest snowdog

just read my last post and it sounds like im being funny, i do literally mean because i dont know of you please dont think i am rude, i was turned down by recue centres because my sibes are not neutered, so i have gone for another option which is to buy a kc pup, although my other two are not kc, i have at least taken a bit of advice from the forum which is it is better to buya kc, so you know its history but am not sure when you say your friend has litter do you mean kc or rescue?

just read my last post and it sounds like im being funny, i do literally mean because i dont know of you please dont think i am rude, i was turned down by recue centres because my sibes are not neutered, so i have gone for another option which is to buy a kc pup, although my other two are not kc, i have at least taken a bit of advice from the forum which is it is better to buya kc, so you know its history but am not sure when you say your friend has litter do you mean kc or rescue?

Just because one rescue centre turned you down does not mean they all will. Terry has been following your posts so she obviously knows your situation, why would she recommend rescue pups they have themselves if she wasn't willing to sell you one?

Why are you in such a hurry to get another pup? I know it's exciting but you are going to spend the next 10+ years of your life with this dog, it's not something you want to rush into.

Sorry Snowdog, wasn't meaning you were being funny, just remember KC registered doesn't necessarily mean that the breeders are doing everything right. Breeders sometimes only register occasional litters and then have other litters without registering and use lots of reasons for not registering like family bereavements, sickness accidents and injuries.

As always buyer beware

please listen to them i have 2 rescue dogs, just coz one let you down others wont, i know said it was coz your dogs not been done but nor as my Odin but i got 2 from 2 diff rescue centres.

you know i'm getting one last sib i like you would get one tomoz if i could lol but no i'm in no hurry as this time i want a pup again so i need to look around and get the right one from the right place.

Make sure this pup as health check every thing and ask for the papers to prove it, im saying this coz u have made up ur mind so i wish you luck and hope all goes well for u xxxx

Guest snowdog

Just because one rescue centre turned you down does not mean they all will. Terry has been following your posts so she obviously knows your situation, why would she recommend rescue pups they have themselves if she wasn't willing to sell you one?

Why are you in such a hurry to get another pup? I know it's exciting but you are going to spend the next 10+ years of your life with this dog, it's not something you want to rush into.

no i know, im not ruching in, ive taken on board what people have said about kc importance and find a good breeder, and i have heard very good reports about this breeder, so i telephoned them, so i could go and view the parents and pu, idont think thats ruching in, ive cancelled viewing three pups because they didnt feel right even though the pups looked beautiful, so i am not rushing in, i do not want people to think i do not respect terry, to be fair ive only been on the site since the 13 oct and still getting to know ppl, so i am very intersted in what terry has to say, sorry if i have offended you terry.x

no i know, im not ruching in, ive taken on board what people have said about kc importance and find a good breeder, and i have heard very good reports about this breeder, so i telephoned them, so i could go and view the parents and pu, idont think thats ruching in, ive cancelled viewing three pups because they didnt feel right even though the pups looked beautiful, so i am not rushing in, i do not want people to think i do not respect terry, to be fair ive only been on the site since the 13 oct and still getting to know ppl, so i am very intersted in what terry has to say, sorry if i have offended you terry.x

OK - when you see the pups and the parents, this is what you need to ask them:

1. Are the parents hip-scored through the KC/BVA scheme? If the answer is no, walk away.

If the answer is yes, ask to see the certificates. The breed average is 7, so you will able to see from the score if the dogs hips are above or below average for the breed. Basically, if the combined hip scores of the dog and bitch add up to more than 20, walk away.

2. Are the parents eye tested through the KC/BVA scheme? If the answer is no, walk away. If the answer is yes, then ask to see the certificates. Dogs should at the barest minimum be tested for Hereditary Cataracts and Glaucoma (the glaucoma test is called a gonioscopy). It is also advisable for testing for PRA, PPM and Corneal Dystrophy.

3. Ask them if they show or work their dogs in harness. If not, how do they know their dogs are of sufficient high quality to breed them? If they do neither, I would walk away.

Just some suggestions

Mick

Guest snowdog

please listen to them i have 2 rescue dogs, just coz one let you down others wont, i know said it was coz your dogs not been done but nor as my odin but i got 2 from 2 diff rescue centres.

You know i'm getting one last sib i like you would get one tomoz if i could lol but no i'm in no hurry as this time i want a pup again so i need to look around and get the right one from the right place.

Make sure this pup as health check every thing and ask for the papers to prove it, im saying this coz u have made up ur mind so i wish you luck and hope all goes well for u xxxx

thankyou, im going to take raindogs advice (mick if you dont mind me calling you that) and ask all the questions he has listed, but i have already learnt tonight that they do all those tests and now i just need to know the results of the tests so i know they are ok, and i appreciate all your advice and will post piccies and details tommorow xx

Guest snowdog

ok - when you see the pups and the parents, this is what you need to ask them:

1. Are the parents hip-scored through the kc/bva scheme? If the answer is no, walk away.

If the answer is yes, ask to see the certificates. The breed average is 7, so you will able to see from the score if the dogs hips are above or below average for the breed. Basically, if the combined hip scores of the dog and bitch add up to more than 20, walk away.

2. Are the parents eye tested through the kc/bva scheme? If the answer is no, walk away. If the answer is yes, then ask to see the certificates. Dogs should at the barest minimum be tested for hereditary cataracts and glaucoma (the glaucoma test is called a gonioscopy). It is also advisable for testing for pra, ppm and corneal dystrophy.

3. Ask them if they show or work their dogs in harness. If not, how do they know their dogs are of sufficient high quality to breed them? If they do neither, i would walk away.

Just some suggestions

mick

thankyou mick , will jot this down and memorise it, so i dont look likea numpty referring to a peice of paper when i go, but i have learnt tonight that these test you are speaking of have been caried out, and as far as i am aware are within the correct ideals, i will of course double check when i go tommorow, and i will post photos and details of how i get on, kind regards to you for your check list this will be of great assistance to me, in making sure i make the correct descision x

Guest snowdog

Try

http://www.esquimaux.co.uk/

www.dreamcatcher.org.uk

and

www.shwa.org.uk

I will ring you tomorrow if thats okay, pups due another feed soon

Terry

Terry, i would like to thank you very much for your help and advice, what i will do is refer to Mick's check list and sus out if everything is ok, and if so i will put a deposit down on the pup, if for any reason i am atall concerned i will walk away, even if all the hip checks are satisfied and eye tests and so on, if the feeling i get isnt right i will still wlk away and i will indeed contact you, if your kind offer to assist is still on offer, again i thankyou very much, and i will of course update everyone on what happens, i would have spoken with you by phone tommorow only i work til 12 and then we are visiting the puppies for 12.30, so i wouldnt have any time to be at home to speak with you, but thanks again i really do appreciate it, and everyone else that s posted with support and or advice and opinions thanks guys xx

I had trouble trying to get a rescue bout 8 yrs ago form SHCGB so im not the biggest fan of the organisation. I stupidly asked if they had a grey/white male....HOW DARE I ! Had owned Scooby 4 2 yrs by this time. As said b4 no wonder so many Huskies are in need of homes when already experienced owners get turned down! RANT OVER

most organsiations dont let you choose, they match a dog to your lifestyle, which is annoying but i suppose its better for the dog

The thing is how can complete strangers match a dog to me, they wouldnt even let me go and see any. No one knows how a dog will react to u until u meet them. I think its madness.

yea me too, i would go for a rescue but i doubt they'd let me have one cuz kiras un-spayed and they want you to be at home all bloody day

yea me too, i would go for a rescue but i doubt they'd let me have one cuz kiras un-spayed and they want you to be at home all bloody day

Exactly. Home all day..... I used to be a truck driver and the longest i would be out of the house (not very often) was sixteen hours, im not condoning this but i lived on my own and had to pay the bills. Yet when i came home they were absolutly fine, just pleased to see me. I left animal planet on for them and the back door open and loads of water and a bowl of food..... oh and the sofas they were as happy as pigs in shit. Plus they got walks b4 i left and when i got back even if it was 4am!

Guest snowdog

UPDATE, hi guys went to day to see the pup and the breeder is really lovely, her dogs have lovely temprements, hip an eye scores all great, seen documents, and those other tests you mentioned mick, they were on there, pups are soooo lovely, great feeling, they all are chunky and clambering around, mom was cleaning them, and licking them, spent ages there, just fussing the furbabies, 8 adult dogs, all lovely looking and Myskha's dad is stunning, so im really glad its worked out, so we pick her up in 6 weeks yipeee weve named her Myshka b.t.w xx

13967_188502780521_785590521_3880967_296828_s_1_.jpg

13967_188503250521_785590521_3880968_1018504_s_1_.jpg

13967_188503805521_785590521_3880969_4741289_s_1_.jpg

13967_188504770521_785590521_3880973_5122881_s_1_.jpg

13967_188504400521_785590521_3880972_3204201_s_1_.jpg

Guest snowdog

oh lol sorry i didnt mean to nab your name, it just popped into my head and i thought ooo how nice so i named her, lovely name though xxx will keep updated we will see her each week i hope so will post piccies xxx