Computer tidy?

Marc

Decided one of the things I am going to do this year is Im gonna keep my computer 100% tidy like I used to have it all the time.

Over the past 6 month with moving things around, changing operating system etc I have gotten to the point where my hard disks are just full of rubbish. And when I say full I mean like over 2TB worth of rubbish (for you none geeks that is 2048 Gig). So last night I decided to start sorting my computer and its just about getting to a useable state. I have a dual boot machine (ubuntu and Windows 8) and have the files down to 500gb instead of 2tb which is a hell of a lot of deleted data.

All I need to do now is organise those files to where I want them and set up a backup routine for my photos :)

So are you organised with your harddrives? Or is everything and its son on the desktop? lol

LOL I know what you mean.

I have 5.5 terabytes of storage space over multiple drives.

(with room for another 6 terabytes in my Hot swap Hub) :eek: :)

However a lot of the space taken up is with various backup windows folders from when I have installed a newer

version of windows and it created an "Old" windows folder for Docs / Pics/ music / downloads etc.

aaaaand. . .

Tons of software downloaded and stored that are now obsolete or have been replaced by other software doing a better job.

Yeah, mine is deffo in need of a spring clean. . . :up:

LOL I know what you mean.

I have 5.5 terabytes of storage space over multiple drives.

(with room for another 6 terabytes in my Hot swap Hub) :eek: :)

However a lot of the space taken up is with various backup windows folders from when I have installed a newer

version of windows and it created an "Old" windows folder for Docs / Pics/ music / downloads etc.

aaaaand. . .

Tons of software downloaded and stored that are now obsolete or have been replaced by other software doing a better job.

Yeah, mine is deffo in need of a spring clean. . . :up:

That was almost a word for word description of mine LOL

That was almost a word for word description of mine LOL

LOL but at least I didn't compound the geek factor by explaining terabytes and gigs when those who need the explanation barely know where the on off switch is. :):P

LOL but at least I didn't compound the geek factor by explaining terabytes and gigs when those who need the explanation barely know where the on off switch is. :):P

I meant it could have been a word for word description of my phisical computer LMAO

I meant it could have been a word for word description of my phisical computer LMAO

Ah, yup, ok . . lol. . . my bad.. :rolleyes:

How do you guys get that much on your HDs?

as for me, all my stuff is very organized. It's all in folders where it belongs. I have a dual boot machine (Ubuntu, win 7) with 2 internal HDs and back everything up on an external from time to time. Tbh, I really have no idea what I'm doing in Linux. Put it on there to learn, but don't know enough to learn more. Lol.

LMAO with me it's a pack rat mentality. . . . Oooooh, shiny new bit of software. . . must have.

I end up with loads of Software that all do the same things, in the quest for the "Best" one.

But then I don't get rid of all the various Other ones that failed or were superceded.

as for me, all my stuff is very organized. It's all in folders where it belongs. I have a dual boot machine (Ubuntu, win 7) with 2 internal HDs and back everything up on an external from time to time. Tbh, I really have no idea what I'm doing in Linux. Put it on there to learn, but don't know enough to learn more. Lol.

I had exactly the same issue with linux. Best advice I can give you is just to say to yourself that regardless of problems, things you think you are missing etc, ban yourself from windows for a month and any problems google the answers instead of reverting back to windows. Once you have been doing this every day for a month you will very quickly begin to see the advantages. There is a free version of almost everything you can think of and quite often its better software. You can install things a lot lot quicker once you get the hang of it too. Just a case of repetition for most things. Once you have done it a few times you can do things a lot quicker than you will ever do them in windows.

Prime example: I want to install filezilla (just a random program I picked):

Windows:

1. Click on my shortcut to chrome
  2. Type filezilla into google
  3. Click the filezilla link that is found
  4. Go to the download page
  5. Download filezilla
  6. Go to place I have downloaded
  7. Double click the filezilla installer
  8. Click next a few times
  9. Done

Ubuntu

1. Click on my shortcut to terminal
  2. Type in "sudo apt-get filezilla"
  3. Type in my admin password
  4. Press the letter "Y"
  5. Done

Other advantages to that are that it is always sudo apt-get filezilla that will install the latest version. On windows I cant keep hold of the exe as the exe will eventually be out of date. Also I now tend to add all the commands into a file for every program I install, that way when I reformat for whatever reason I can just run the script and it installs everything all at once.

I had exactly the same issue with linux. Best advice I can give you is just to say to yourself that regardless of problems, things you think you are missing etc, ban yourself from windows for a month and any problems google the answers instead of reverting back to windows. Once you have been doing this every day for a month you will very quickly begin to see the advantages. There is a free version of almost everything you can think of and quite often its better software. You can install things a lot lot quicker once you get the hang of it too. Just a case of repetition for most things. Once you have done it a few times you can do things a lot quicker than you will ever do them in windows.

Prime example: I want to install filezilla (just a random program I picked):

Windows:

1. Click on my shortcut to chrome
  2. Type filezilla into google
  3. Click the filezilla link that is found
  4. Go to the download page
  5. Download filezilla
  6. Go to place I have downloaded
  7. Double click the filezilla installer
  8. Click next a few times
  9. Done

Ubuntu

1. Click on my shortcut to terminal
  2. Type in "sudo apt-get filezilla"
  3. Type in my admin password
  4. Press the letter "Y"
  5. Done

Other advantages to that are that it is always sudo apt-get filezilla that will install the latest version. On windows I cant keep hold of the exe as the exe will eventually be out of date. Also I now tend to add all the commands into a file for every program I install, that way when I reformat for whatever reason I can just run the script and it installs everything all at once.

I'm gonna try to stick with it. Clicking on something to install it is a lot more intuitive than using the command line. Thanks for the tips.

I'm gonna try to stick with it. Clicking on something to install it is a lot more intuitive than using the command line. Thanks for the tips.

Once you get the hang of it the command line becomes the most easiest and fastest tool you could ever imagine :)

There are always graphics variations available of course, which one that is depends on the distro. For Ubuntu that's the Ubuntu Software Centre for example. Still miles better than Windows because you have all the application in one single list, available for you with a click of the button.

Once you get the hang of it the command line becomes the most easiest and fastest tool you could ever imagine :)

There are always graphics variations available of course, which one that is depends on the distro. For Ubuntu that's the Ubuntu Software Centre for example. Still miles better than Windows because you have all the application in one single list, available for you with a click of the button.

Agreed. I started with the software centre and synaptics package manager but I dont use any of the now as its just easier to use command line. I think the only time I actually go to any is occasionally synaptics when I'm installing some of my development stuff as it installs all the prerequisites for some things which can be a pain to install (actually same on windows)