Chewy Getting Neutered Soon

Hi all,

Ive got it all set up for Chewy to be neutered in 2 weeks and I have a question.

I have never gotten a dog fixed before, only a cat, and he didnt exactly have a good reaction after his surgery.

Is there anything I should know before Chewys surgery? Can I expect some bad behaviors??

Im only slightly worried but Chewy is a great dog with a great temperment. It would really worry me if he does what my cat did and "acts out" for 6 months.

How likely is that??

It's not the same surgery, but we just had Haley spayed in the beginning of October. They'll put your boy asleep for the surgery. And hopefully he'll be fine once he's awake, he may ae tired and it might take him time to be up and walking again. Haley was very tired for the night - they only kept her at the vet for the day (dropped her off at 7AM, picked her up at 5PM). WHen they brought her out, she walked to me, put her head against my leg. And then walked to the car and got in just fine. But once she laid down in the car, that was it for her for the night. Jay had to carry her into the house, set her on the couch so she could sleep. And then he had to move her to the bedroom, as Kahtadin wouldn't leave her alone (he wanted to play). So she slept all night in the bedroom (we put the couch cushins on the floor for her to sleep on). She didn't want to go out or eat at all, and the next morning was still tired. So she slept on the couch all day. By the time I got home from work (5PM), she was up and walking around and eating. So it was less than 24 hours ince she came home before she was back to semi-normal.

The vet didn't want her running, jumping, or playing for 5 to 7 days after surgery, but by the 3rd day she was in play mode with Tadi - she laid on the couch and mouth wrestled with him, not quite the full play she normally does. Jay started taking her for walks again on the 3rd day as well. And a few days later she was ready to run around and play and fully back to normal.

The vet said it was normal for her not to want to eat the day of her surgery, and for her not to go potty until the next day (she did go the morning after the surgery). The stitches were all internal and dissolved, so we didn't have to take her back to have them removed. The vet offered pain medication if she needed it - we were told to take her home and see how she did before giving her anything - if she seemed to be in pain, we could call them and they'd fill a perscription for her, but most likely she wouldn't need it (and she didn't). So it was pretty easy for us, and for her (she slept lol).

Let me know how neutering goes, Kahtadin is up in a few months for neutering once he's old enough!

As utahrptr mentioned they are sleepy for the rest of the day / night after the surgery but when our boy kavik was neutered he was ready for a game the next morning!! we had a job keeping him calm but managed, his stitches were internal, didn't need any pain relief. He was fine after his castration . but he recovered really quicky. we didn't let him run abouit until a few weeks after his surgery.

I've had both my dogs 'done', and as what has been said previously they were both fine, just a bit sleepy after the op (both had internal stitches) You might have to put up with a sorrowful looking face and not bieng talked to for a few days once he notices 'somethings' missing ;) ...

poor chewy i feel sorry for ya budski i know how he must be feeling me missus displays mine pickled in a jar in the bedroom lol but seriously every dog i have had has been 'done' and they were tired for a while but back to their bouncy selves soon

i'll sew it back on one day, its just to teach him some self control lmfao, and yea all our dogs were fine :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so Chewy is now at the vet waiting to have his neuter surgery. You should have seen his face! When i handed the leash over to the vet tech to take him into the back, He looked at me like "hey mom, what the heck, you're leaving me here??!!" The scale said that empty (after his fasting all night as required) he is 63 pounds, so Id say that he really must be closer to 65-70 pounds when he eats and drinks. I gave him a real nice wash last night and Im pretty sure he's actually blowing his coat for the first time now...he sheds constantly but I got a huge handful of fur this morning when i was patting him...so, I guess its about time, huh?? Lol.

Will update once he comes home tonight.

Just a quick update. Chewy's surgery went very well, and hes doing good apparently (probably driving them nuts because hes hungry, lol). Im still not allowed to pick him up yet, but Im sure Im in for a firm talking to from chewy...lol. Probably something like "rahr, rahr, rahr, rooo-rooo-rooo, woof woof!!" lmao

Little does he know i bought him a great big, juicy ham bone!! :)

Chewy is home now and he is ok. He was not mad at me at all...instead he came bounding across the office to me, layed down and made me rub his belly...lol. Unfortunately, when I was getting one of his pain pills out I dropped one on the floor and he swallowed it whole....this is bad because he was only supposed to get half of a pill at a time. Now Im waiting to hear back from the vets office so I know if I have to take him back again! Oiy vey!!! This is what happens if you are clumsy and your dog hasnt eaten in 20 hours! lol

Update: Chewbacca is doing fabulously! It turns out the meds he swallowed werent harmful (he just couldnt have any more for 24 hours), and hes just as fun and happy as ever. I can tell the surgery helped already, hes much calmer and more relaxed (hes even barking alot less, yaaay!). he's still giving me a hard time about eating his kibble but I have ordered that Honest Kitchen food I was telling everyone about, so hopefully that will help. I also now have all the biking equipment I bought and Im hoping to start using it in the next week or so.

Ok so now chewy is upset, lol. He has noticed there are some boy parts missing! He's not happy about it! (I knew he wouldnt be). The first couple of days he was fine (he was still being medicated) and he was behaving very nicely, but now that he's noticed, he's being a royal pain. Hes back to his crazy, silly, loud, rotten self, lol. If the weather improves a bit Im going to get him out tonight for a nice relaxed walk, and hopefully he'll sleep for me, hehehe. I want to bike him but I need a bike pump to air up the bike and scooter tires first, lol. I didnt realize the tires were completely flat before, lmao...blonde moments! We're on leashing training again at the moment, but Im sure he'll take a chill pill soon since he will be spoiled and get his "honest Kitchen food" soon as well. I really think he will love that food since it is turkey based...and he goes nuts for turkey! "no pun intended"