Halloween is No Treat for Pets

Sarah

Halloween is traditionally full of candy, costumes and trick-or-treating for children and their families, but many people are unaware of the potential dangers pets face throughout the month of October.

While many people like to include their pets in the festivities, Halloween is one holiday that can threaten the safety, and possibly life, of family friends. From ingesting toxic food, candy wrappers or decorations, being traumatized by sudden noises, to exposure or harmful pranks, owners are encouraged to be aware of how their pets' safety could be at risk.

"Candy, especially chocolate, can be most harmful for dogs," said Todd Tams, DVM, DACVIM, Vice President and Chief Medical Officer for VCA Animal Hospitals. "Even small amounts of theobromine, the key ingredient in chocolate, can quickly induce vomiting, choking, diarrhea, damage to internal organs, and potentially lead to death. If your pet is exhibiting some unusual symptoms, and you suspect that they may have ingested chocolate, the best course of action is to take them immediately to your local veterinarian for prompt care," he added.

Even the smallest amounts of chocolate, depending on the size of the dog, can be extremely harmful. Other candies, not just chocolate, should be kept out of a pet's reach. Wooden sticks from caramel apples if chewed and swallowed, can cause serious damage to internal organs, and gum and other chewy candy can cause pets to choke.

As the witches, ghouls and goblins of the neighborhood approach the front door, many pets can experience an increase in stress levels from the commotion and loud noises. A pet can perceive aggression by excited trick-or-treaters, which could potentially lead to lashing out or biting of strangers. Masks and costumes are not easily recognizable and many pets have been known to become protective and aggressive when surprised or scared by unusual and threatening behavior.

Although it can be tempting to take a pet along on Halloween, pets should not accompany families or children on trick-or-treating excursions because they can become easily frightened, harassed, injured, stolen and even killed. Black cats, especially, should be kept indoors throughout the month of October, as they are often victims of pranks that are not always harmless.

Other ways of celebrating the holiday should be taken into consideration if pets are around. Burning candles from jack-o-lanterns spark curiosity to many animals and serious burns, or even a fire could occur if within a pet's reach. Decorations such as faux spider webs and electrically wired lights can cause serious risks if found. Additionally, as cute as they are, pet costumes may include hazardous materials if swallowed by our four-legged friends. Many of them contain rubber bands, string or ribbon and pieces of plastic that are not easily digestible, causing intestinal damage.

"To prevent injuries or trauma during holiday traditions for pets, owners should implement simple safety guidelines," explained Tams. "Placing candy and trick-or-treat bags out of reach will ensure pets aren't digesting toxic foods. Keeping pets safe and secure in a comfortable, familiar room while passing out candy is the best way to avoid an unwelcome incident.

"Additionally, pets are much better off at home during Halloween outings, preventing unnecessary fright and the potential for pranks. Ensuring decorations and burning candles are strictly out of reach will also keep pets healthy, safe and happy," he added.

Myshka has never been bothered with kids in costumes or fireworks, etc, but I don't intentionally take her amongst them. If fireworks go off in gardens round here, she'll happily sit out & watch them but I try & keep her in the conservatory, knowing our luck, a stray rocket would come our way! Not had Diesel while anything like this has happpened, but he's so laid back, nothing seems to phase him, but as has already been said, better to be safe than sorry ...

can't add to rep yet, Sarah, but will as this is a good reminder

added to rep now!

Yeah Lana is not a friend when it comes to masks. The only time i seen Lana become "aggressive" and this was done by accident. She growled, showed teeth and the only time i heard her "bark" consistently. My son wanted to be a "sherk" so he put the mask on to see if it fix. Lana was in another room so i assumed that she would be ok. I left to the bathroom and told my son to take of the most (it also scares his sister). Next thing i know i hear Lana barking and my son is crying. I went back in the family room only to see Lana growling, teeth showing, and my son in the chair.....with the mask still on.

I called Lana to me and for the first time she walked towards me and turned away and re-focused back on my son. I had to tell my silly son to take off the mask. Once that happened Lana then stop growling and returned to me upon my command, yet always looking back.

As with any dog they can become "aggressive" but never would i have seen or thought that a loving sib like Lana not could but would act as such. Do i know why? Yes. It quickly reminded me how i so easily one of animals basic nature, how naive and complacent i get around Lana. My son was a little bit shocked as he never seen Lana that way and forgot how to respond to a aggressive dog, he is only 6, but him and Lana are ok. Would this have happen is i had another Rotweiler, pit bull, bull dog, boxer, any of the Shepherd breeds, Doberman, Akita, Giant Schnauzers, Chow Chow. Just FYI we believe that just about any dog and be aggressive if not trained properly.

Great advice Sarah, I'm hoping Maia will be ok with all this. She will be staying indoors with the blinds shut & only the tv on. With living in a kennel all her short life she is only just really getting used to the sights & sounds of the outside world. The last thing she needs is to be scared by children in costumes & fireworks banging away:)