we have a runner

so i need some help. my husky, russia, loves to run, as most huskys do. usually i take him out at least once or twice a day on my rollerskates so i can keep up. ill run him till he doesnt want to anymore which is usually about 2 to 3 miles. even with all the exercise ill take him out to do his business and he'll pull out of his harness, not just a collar but a harness, and take off running, last night my 2 friends and i were chasing him down for over an hour. does anyone have any suggestions on how i can keep him from running? i understand that its instinctual for huskys but i dont know if ill be able to catch him next time he gets out.

Start by teaching him there's a time to run. Add a third trip outside to your routine, and don't use the same harness for running; use a regular collar or something different than the harness for running. Give him about 8 inches of lead, keeping him right next to your side the entire time, not letting him run off or pull you at all. It can take some time, but he'll learn (eventually) to walk by your side without much pulling. When you go out just to pee, use the same collar, and hold him nice and close. When you get to the designated area, give him the full lead (I'm assuming you've got about 6 feet on the leash), and tell him to do his thing. He'll eventually begin to associate the harness with running, and the collar for sticking by your side. You'll get some outbursts and times he wants to take off, but the majority of the time he'll stick with you.

Hope it helps!

how old is he? 2-3 miles may not be enough to really burn up all his energy? i would suggest taking him for a run, then do some walking training. try to get him in the mindset that he doesn't always have to run when the lead is hooked up. just a thought from a newbie.

edit: looks like demiurge beat me to it and stated my idea better.

Mine is also a runner. She is a rescue so she pretty well did what ever she wanted. So for the first month we ran after her almost every day. We would be on a walk and even tough I thought the harness was too tight she could find her way out. Since we don't have a fenced in yard we have to sit out with her. But after a few months working with her on walks (not a run too much freedom) with her right by our side correcting her ever time she pulled she is much better, she can stay on her lead without us there. It took a while. But I would never trust her on just a collar. She is gone in a flash. Hope this helped.

first thing is to work on your recall with Russia - granted Huskies are not the best at recall - they have far more important things to think about it seems lol However - recall in my view is so important you never know when you may need it ;)

If he does get out again, don't run towards him, run away from him and call him - let him chase you - i always shout - hungry boys!! - which i always say when i feed them, they bounce about like kangaroos lol but when they escaped a few weeks ago i shouted hungry boys???? and they shot straight in the house and sat waiting for food - having said that it will only really work if they are food motivated

thanks for the advice, a friend of mine suggested giving him treats periodically while we are out for walks and saying "treat" as i give it to him so if he does get loose i could yell treat and hed come back for one, havent tried it yet but it sounds like a good idea, the treats i have for him get him jumpin around like theres crack in em :) but as for the collar and the harness, im afraid to even take him out in a collar cuz he pulls out of it a hell of a lot easier than his harness :/ ive looked around for one of the limited slip collars you guys have talked about but havent been able to find any, maybe ill have better luck with it

Best of luck with it, you've had some great advice.

With the treat thing, my Diesel used to run off lead on a big beach when he was young, and he would come back to get his treat, but he would take it and be gone before I could grab him. He knew that if he came back he would get a treat, but he also worked out that he would get put back on the lead as well:D So make sure you give lots and lots of treats at different times. I know you're not going to let him off the lead, but they are cleverer than we think;)

...he would come back to get his treat, but he would take it and be gone before I could grab him. He knew that if he came back he would get a treat, but he also worked out that he would get put back on the lead as well:D So make sure you give lots and lots of treats at different times. ;)

This is so true! Bo was the same.

I have a whistle that Nukka will ALWAYS respond to as she always gets a treat when she comes. I've done it with her from the day we got her. Shes not great at coming when told but she'll come running from where ever it is shes hiding if I do the treat whistle, I havn't tested it outside but Im pretty sure if she ever got off lead I could do the whistle and she'd bolt back to my feet for the food! Lol!

My mum taught it me to do for the cats to get them in for their dinner, she was told by a very old trainer that he did used to whistle to his dog and then feed it and once his dog got out and was just about to run onto a big main road so he did his whistle and the dog pelted it back to him, he knew that whistle had saved his dogs life so he always taught it to any dogs and owners he helped after that.

I have a whistle that Nukka will ALWAYS respond to as she always gets a treat when she comes. I've done it with her from the day we got her. Shes not great at coming when told but she'll come running from where ever it is shes hiding if I do the treat whistle, I havn't tested it outside but Im pretty sure if she ever got off lead I could do the whistle and she'd bolt back to my feet for the food! Lol!

My mum taught it me to do for the cats to get them in for their dinner, she was told by a very old trainer that he did used to whistle to his dog and then feed it and once his dog got out and was just about to run onto a big main road so he did his whistle and the dog pelted it back to him, he knew that whistle had saved his dogs life so he always taught it to any dogs and owners he helped after that.

Great tip! What sort of whistle do you use? My concern is having either of mine doing what they're conditioned to do when the command comes from someone else. I'd hate for them to chase anyone with a whistle.

Great advice been given!!

Other things to add when practicing recall:

Make sure you never tell her off when she eventually comes back to you or you catch her!! No dog will ever want to come back to someone telling them off. (i'm not saying you do by the way)

Practice calling her away from high prize items such as bones!

Dont call her to you just to take her home as she will associate that with the end of her off lead fun and will become reluctant to come to you.

Also when you go to practice recall (with a long line) always walk her to the area you are going to practice with her on a normal lead and clip the longline on once you are there so she knows the difference.

Very important that you never use a choke of half choke (check) on long line training - just a normal flat collar.

Don't be afraind to make a fool of yourself as the more exciting you are (waving arms, blowing whistles, jumping up and down etc) the more interesting you will be to her to come back to.

I was also once told when you are ready to let them off lead again (when she is doing recall everytime!!) you can try making it more fun on her walks...go to the woods and play hide and seek with her - you hiding and she will want to try and find you!!

Good luck xx

first thing is to work on your recall with Russia - granted Huskies are not the best at recall - they have far more important things to think about it seems lol However - recall in my view is so important you never know when you may need it ;)

If he does get out again, don't run towards him, run away from him and call him - let him chase you - i always shout - hungry boys!! - which i always say when i feed them, they bounce about like kangaroos lol but when they escaped a few weeks ago i shouted hungry boys???? and they shot straight in the house and sat waiting for food - having said that it will only really work if they are food motivated

very good point sarah

we learnt this with micha, dont go after her walk away, and she will follow

Great advice been given!!

Other things to add when practicing recall:

Make sure you never tell her off when she eventually comes back to you or you catch her!! No dog will ever want to come back to someone telling them off. (i'm not saying you do by the way)

Practice calling her away from high prize items such as bones!

Don’t call her to you just to take her home as she will associate that with the end of her off lead fun and will become reluctant to come to you.

Also when you go to practice recall (with a long line) always walk her to the area you are going to practice with her on a normal lead and clip the longline on once you are there so she knows the difference.

Very important that you never use a choke of half choke (check) on long line training - just a normal flat collar.

Don't be afraind to make a fool of yourself as the more exciting you are (waving arms, blowing whistles, jumping up and down etc) the more interesting you will be to her to come back to.

I was also once told when you are ready to let them off lead again (when she is doing recall everytime!!) you can try making it more fun on her walks...go to the woods and play hide and seek with her - you hiding and she will want to try and find you!!

Good luck xx

good advice rep given