New to Husky Owners

Hello everyone. I an a new member to husky owners. I am the owner of one husky. He was a rescue we adopted only this past May.

Garres (the name we gave him, as he did not have one at the age of 14 months), was kept as an outside dog only, always chained and apart of a pack of 8 huskies. He was the smallest of the 8, and he is deffinately not an alpha.

Garres was only 40lbs when we brought him home. And scared to death of everything. But there was just something about him that grabbed at my heart and said he had to come home with us.

The first day we brought him home he cowered in our back yard in the corner. My self and my 3 children, ages 3-7, sat with him, loved on him, brushed him, pulled ticks off of him and fed him treats.

He was scared of coming into our home, but we refused to leave him outside alone. It took us until about 8pm that night to convince him to come in on the back porch for food.

It took us the next day to get him into the house and a week to get him to feel confident enough to go up the stairs in our home.

It is now October, 6 months later. Garres is now a 55lb lap dog :) He loves all people, sits on the couch with our 75lb Rotti and cuddles, sleeps upstairs in the hallway at night, doesn't beg for food, walk on and off the leash, and loves to be indoors :)

We are so happy that we took him home. He is such a wonderful dog. After what he must of suffered being the Omega of a pack and a runt as well, he is such a sweet boy.

He is no longer mommies dog, he has chosen my 3yr old son as his "pet" :) My son can lay on him and hug on him and he loves every minute of it. They are true friends, and pals.

As for Garres and our Rotti Kane, they are best friends. The sleep next to each other, and share there food dishes even tho they have there own :)

Oh how wonderful. You are an amazing lady! Im sure your husky adores you in every way even if he has chosen your youngest child as his best Bud...lol. My 2 year old daughter and Chewy (our huskymute) are always playing and my 6 year old son loves to play tag and tug-o-war with him. I love that huskies have the natural pull to be close to children as it has brought so much happiness to my home.

I totally admire that you rescued your husky and were patient with him enough that he has calmed down and become such a happy member of your family. I for one, am glad to be meeting you. Welcome to Husky owners!

WOW WOW WOW..........What a lovely story, it goes to prove that there really are some wonderful people out there who can give dogs a wonderful and very loving home :)

It is so sad to think that an animal (any animal) can be mis-treated, but guess it happens :( I could never, ever, ever think of letting my little baby get hurt, she is my everything and i hate sounding so pathetic, but it is so true.

It sounds to me that you have made a friend for a life and a very worthy member of your family. Well done for taking him in and giving him the life that he so deserves :) xx

Cherie, what a heart-warming story - I bet Garres cannot believe there are people in the world like you & your family after what he had to endure. You have put in a lot of time, effort & energy into that boy & look how he is rewarding you ... congratulations on taking him on & turning him into a confident husky, I look forward to chatting with you around here & hearing your experiences with your pack .... welcome on board! :wave:

wow such an inspiring story for any1 who is thinking ov rehoming :) uve come a long way and its great u never gave up hope! :) cnt w8 2 c sum pics ov both ur dogs (we have an other pets and breed section) i love rotties so cnt w8 2 see pics ov him also :) feel free 2 ask any questions u have every1 on here is very friendly and helpful :)

welcome to the pack

Thank you to everyone. Garres is a blessing to our family, as well as our other "son" Kane :) I will post some more pictures later today of both of our "sons" for everyone to see.

For anyone thinking of rescuing a husky, or any dog for that matter, you have to have patience. I will be honest, there where days where I would come down stairs and see what Garres had done to my home and just wanted to cry lol All in all, in the first two months that we owned him, he ate two couches, one reclining chair, multiple curtains, soooo many kids toys that I can't even count, bicycle seats and peddles, and five baby gates. Not to mention shoes and other clothing lol

But we decided that being an outside, secluded family pet for so long was the reason for his destructive behavior. We didn't want to confine him to a crate, nor did we want to make him an outside dog all over again. We spent hundreds on replacing what was destroyed, but what we have been given in return is worth more than what we spent. My husband didn't agree at the time lol But he now loves Garres and agrees that when we leave this Island, he and Kane come with no matter the cost.

It is a huge decision to take on a rescue, you never know what you are going to get. But when you just know that that animal should come home with you, don't ignore your gut :) You could end up with a best friend for life, or finding a best friend for some one else.

I am a mother of soon to be 4 human children and 2 wonderful fer-babies :) I spoil them rotten. They go where we go as long as I know they will enjoy it, they sleep where they want, lay where they want and even use us as pillows :) They have free reign of the house just as any family member does.

If all of that makes me sappy, than so be it :) I can't see how anyone would ever hurt any animal, especially when you can see the intelligence in there eyes.