Sprained or could it be broken?

I'm guessing sprained, but could it be a break?

So last night my wife and I went to a baseball game and left Kaiya with friends of ours. Our friends have a 2 yr old lab that Kaiya knows and plays very well with. Apparently they played the entire time together, probably about 4 hours or so (this is the longest play date she has had). When we got home, Kaiya was fine, acting herself, walking fine, no issues. She did get me up at about 2:30 am (about 2.5 hours after we went to bed) to go outside and pee, this isn't like her but her schedule was off last night due to us going out so I really didn't think too much of it. We went out, she did her business and we came back in. I don't recall seeing a limp or her trip taking unusually long, but keep in mind it's dark and I'm half asleep. We went back to bed and she slept until a little after 7, about 5 hours. Typically she is my alarm clock, 5:30-6:00 she gets us up so sleeping in is odd. When we got up, she didn't want to leave her crate and was crying a little, when she did get out of the crate, she was limping. Still limping now and just laying down as much as she can.

So with all that being said, given the fact she looked okay last night is there still potential for a break? I'm thinking it is a sprain that stiffened up while she slept, but looking for some more opinions. She lets me touch it and pat her so it doesn't seem sensitive to the touch. There is no open wound at all and she is not excessively licking at it. Sleeping positions haven't changed, and just a moment ago she rolled on to her side and stretched all four legs out.

This is our first puppy so our vet is literally on speed dial and I'll be calling them as well, but I wanted to gather some of your opinions. Our vet is great, but I still like to make sure they aren't taking advantage of our over reacting.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think just stiff but I would keep a close eye on her for a day or so if it doesn't get any better I would take her in to the vets office. I would also check her claws on that paw sometimes when playing they can rip a claw open this also causes limping. It happened to Dakota over the summer when his claw got caught on our carpet.

If it's a rear leg, she may have strained something. There's that tendon (forget what it's called) that goes over the knee in the rear leg. Those can get tricky if stretched; and if stretched too much, can snap. Good to have it checked out by the vet.

Just got back, oh boy, such a tough day so far. the vet pulled, poked and prodded and couldn't get her to react to any pain so we can't pinpoint a leg injury. Apparently she is as stubborn as her father and won't tell you where she hurts. X-rays were a risky (as well as costly) proposition. Because we can't pinpoint an injured spot, we would have to do several x-rays and at only 4 months old when most of her bones are just cartilage, finding a fracture could be like finding a needle in a haystack. And of course they charge by the picture. So, we started talking about how she was acting.

Temp is at 102 degrees and she is very lethargic, not eating or drinking. Kaiya LOVES all the girls at the vet, makes herself right at home behind their counter. Today she didn't.So we did a blood test for tick born illness, everything came up negative. As me and the vet talked, it seemed more and more like this wasn't just a leg injury. Kaiya loves to eat and she won't even look at food right now. Even if her leg was hurt, you would think she would still want to eat.

Drew some more blood for some more tests, this time we are checking for the all the big stuff. Anemia, kidneys, etc, etc. Results on that tomorrow

Due to her not drinking we did an IV, hopefully that starts to help. The IV fluid lumps up under her skin and slowly dissipates, but of course the IV went to the right front shoulder and her left rear leg is the one that hurts. So basically she is uncomfortable all over right now.

We also took home some pain meds, she is due for her first one at 6:00. I really hope that helps. She is just laying in her crate right now and it's breaking my heart. I won't even begin to explain my cat, but for some reason all my animals get "mystery sick". Not even kidding, my cat had a tumor removed about 6 years ago that vets I don't even know have said to me, "aren't you the guy with the cat that had the multi-color tumor removed?"

UGH. I just want my girl back to herself. No more Red Sox games for me!

well, i'm not getting my hopes up too high yet, but she had her first pain pill at 6. right around 7 she got out of the crate on her own power and plopped down on the living room floor. i put her food dish in front of her and she actually ate, didn't stand to eat, but at least she ate. after that i asked if she needed to go outside and she got right up and limped to the door. poked around the yard like she wanted to walk even (although we didnt). so physically we are still at square one with the limping, but she is putting a touch of weight on her foot now. personality wise, i think she is coming around. hanging out on the stairs outside catching up on the sights and smells she missed all day as we speak. :D

I'll bet she pulled something. Good that she ate. Zoya sends Husky Hugs and Woo-Woos.

Well she had a tough morning getting out of her crate, guess that is to be expected as she probably stiffened up. She did eat this morning and she is drinking water so we are happy there. Waiting on a call back about the blood work. The way she keeps the weight off it and sits, etc, I am starting to wonder if maybe it is/was a dislocated hip or something. Unfortunately, that still doesn't explain why it was okay when she went to bed, and then had the issue when she woke up. She sleeps in her crate so it's pretty tough to get hurt in there.

really hoping it's just a pulled muscle.

well, back from the vet again. didn't see any fractures on the leg during an x-ray, and even though the blood tests came up negative all signs are pointing to lyme disease right now. at first i was skeptical, but after looking up the symptoms i'm starting to agree. she is going on doxycycline tonight along with her pain meds. vet says we should see marked improvement by monday. fingers crossed!