Sprained or could it be broken?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lymes disease is sometimes difficult to diagnose and requires a series of antibiotics to counter. Our last Husky, Elke, picked up Lymes disease. Even after the shots and other meds, she still tested positive for the antibodies. Once they contract the disease, it's not always possible to fully eliminate it. Zoya was vaccinated for Lymes disease when she was 3 months old, and is again due in about a month. Prevention is much less problematic and less expensive than treatment. Our vet recommended the regimine of meds for Elke, even without a confirmation test for Lymes, simply because the confirmation test (different than the initial test) was more expensive than the treatment.

Hope it goes well and if it is Lymes, that you have discovered it early enough. Make sure you get your dogs vaccinated every year. Another problem disease we have in our area is Leptosporosis, which is passed through urine by much of the wildlife we have around here. Thankfully, there is a vaccine for that as well.

well so far so good. the limp is mostly gone and her personality is back to full throttle. still not eating great, but her schedule has been so screwed up the past couple days i'm not surprised.

i'm wondering if she picked it up from a tick at the breeders. she has been on frontline since we've had her and had just started her lyme vaccinations (was actually due for her 2nd shot yesterday). in my research, it seems the symptoms won't appear for a few weeks to a few months after being bit by the tick.

in any event, i'm starting to feel more confident that it is lyme and not a leg injury. guess i can't complain about what the vet charges when they get it right huh. (well, i can still complain they didn't get it right the first day, lol)

So glad she's near back to herself. Please keep us posted on her progress.

so it's been a few days and she is off the pain meds and doing great. there doesn't appear to be any swelling in the leg at all and she isn't limping. we've been doing some short walks at night to burn up some energy, but taking it as easy as we can. we are keeping her on the doxycycline for the lyme (28 day treatment i think). her personality is back 100%, LOL. such a releif!

Good news. Keep an eye on her, and it sounds like you and the vet are on top everything.