Loose Stools

Blue

Hi blue,, we had this problem with our girl mya, she constantly had loose stools,, we tried pretty much everything to stop it, from boiled eggs,white rice and chicken breast we never managed to solve it,, but i have noticed a difference between how mya was and how our new girl pagan is, and as far as i can see it was all down to diet, mya was fed mainly a diet of kibble with the odd bit of fish and egg,,, pagan is fed virtually all meals on a barf diet, the only kibble she gets is at breakfast, i might add she dosent like it lol,, she would eat raw all day long if we let her,, not sure what you are feeding blue but i would definately reccomend looking into a barf diet of some sort if your not already.

Good luck with this,, i know its not nice.

Yep! We have a constant battle going on with Nukks's digestive system to keep her solid! We've had soooome success with breaking her meals down into little and often.. when we first got her we did six then halfed it to three after a couple of weeks but she litterally went and she was just gushing water out of her back end so we're trying 4 and shes still a little loose but better than she was.

I've also heard that steamed or boiled chicken and brown rice can help their stomachs but I think its just a matter of trying out different things i.e foods, quantities, feeding scheduals etc until you find something that suits your sibes tum!

I had this with sisko for weeks when we bought her home, we gave her a raw chicken wing a few times a week & it seemed to help & changed her food from red mills dry food which the breeder had her on & got her onto beta puppy & she seemed to firm up, but you have to do the change over from food to another food over a week. she is now 9 months & we have her on Beta adult.

I had this problem for the first couple of weeks I had Tala - the breeder had her on pedigree tin food and wagg dry food - I stopped the canned food and switched her dry food to wainwrights gradually - It didn't take long to see that it had made a defo improvement, it worked a treat - No problems so far :D

He is currently on Butchers tinned meat and Purina BETA http://www.purina-beta.co.uk/products/puppylargebreed.aspx.

I have heard good things about wainrights and james wellbeloved kibbles. Im interested in the barf diet if anyone can recommend a good uk stockist.

Do you think even if i did change his food this would solve the problem or is this just a husky trait ??

kira gets a mixture of kibble and BARF, tho she'd rather have only BARF lol. we have her on wagg puppy or pets at home own brand dry food and we go down to the butchers every now and then, yesterday i got her a small pig liver and a bag of raw beef bones and it cost me 70p, and the butcher gave us a free bag of bones aswell :D (try taking blue with you to the butchers and stand outside, worked for me! lol) also, i'v heard probiotic yoghurt is good for runny ar@es, and kiras tummys been pretty good recently just licking out my pots of Ski when im done!

Ah yes, the ol' runny poo. Had this with Smithy, we first off had him on James Wellbeloved but could only pick up his poo on a cold frosty morning:eek:. We then tried lots of different kibble introducing it slowly, but alas the same situation arose. We then went onto Pedigree tinned dog food and he improved vastly, until one day refused to eat it, then the next day and so on. It was then I read something about BARF, and have not looked back since. No more runny poos (as long as he leaves the plants alone:mad:), cheaper than tinned, and he lurves it. We feed him minced tripe and minced beef (both from Pets at home) and just recently found a local Halal butcher where we get free lamb bones (favourites). There are some really good websites on BARF out there, here's one http://www.barfworld.com/. Good luck :grinning-smiley-003...

Each dog is an individual, so what works in feeding one dog, may not work for another. It's unforunate, but all you can do is research the subject and try a different food. Which is what you are doing, so good for you.

When we brought Zoya home a year ago, she had liquid stools, and was on Diamond Puppy Food. We switched her to Nutro Ultra Puppy Large Breed, and she did well on that. Her stools firmed up within a few days. However, she eventually developed a lot of dander and dry skin, and did a horrible amount of scratching.

At ten months, we changed her over to TOTW. It's grain-free. She has done extremely well on that food. Her stools are solid, her coat has a nice sheen, and there's no more dander or scratching. She also poops much less than she used to.

Each dog is an individual, so what works in feeding one dog, may not work for another. It's unforunate, but all you can do is research the subject and try a different food. Which is what you are doing, so good for you.

When we brought Zoya home a year ago, she had liquid stools, and was on Diamond Puppy Food. We switched her to Nutro Ultra Puppy Large Breed, and she did well on that. Her stools firmed up within a few days. However, she eventually developed a lot of dander and dry skin, and did a horrible amount of scratching.

At ten months, we changed her over to TOTW. It's grain-free. She has done extremely well on that food. Her stools are solid, her coat has a nice sheen, and there's no more dander or scratching. She also poops much less than she used to.

I'm with Mazz here, Kaiya is also on TOTW and has done very well. Same scenario, liquid stools when we got her, made the switch and never looked back. Of course, it looks like Mazz is in the US as well, I don't know what you guys may have available in or around the UK. Best of luck though. Check out dogfoodanalysis.com, "supposed" to be an independent site that rates different foods. They have been spot on for us, but again I don't know if you can get the foods they review.

When I first got Kodi the breeder had him on Royal Canin, but when we had had a few weeks of liquid poo to clean up we changed him to Hills Science Plan large breed puppy. That worked for a while, but then it happened again. Our Shar has wagg so we decided to try Kodi on wagg puppy. He now has Wagg Puppy and Butchers Puppy Meat (which he loves) and has been fine for the last 3 months. He also has raw fish mixed in a few times a week. When I have a day off he gets rice/pasta, veg and raw meat. He particularly likes tuna and beef mince. If we have had a spaghetti bolognese or something with gravy then he gets sauce and he seems to cope really well with this, and benefits from a bit of variety as his gets bored with the same thing all the time.

I do agree with the others though, it is a case of trial and error as one thing will not work for all. Keep trying different foods and combinations, you will find one that suits eventually.

Good luck x

Hi i'm very new to the husky stomach, but having had GSD's all my life with their well know fussy tummys I've always found a good quality kibble to be the best. I'm currently feeding Maia on Wainwrights, she was on Burns when I brought her home from the rescue & had very runny poo but this was probably down to all the upset of moving. It will be 2 weeks on Saturday thats she's been home with us & her runny poo problem had settled down now & her kibble is nearly all Wainwrights now. :)

TOTW did it for Dakota too. It seemed like everything made him sick, then we tried totw and it did wonders for him. no more sickness and his coat looks great now too.

• 1 month later...

Just brought home 2 huskies a month ago with runny poo, they are new 4 months old. It turns out they both had Giardia and worms, poor pups. Anyway they are both doing a lot better but still have loose stools, and only go a few times a day. We have been feeding them Large Puppy Science diet since we got them, but after reading some other suggestions I decided to try TOTW. But now I'm not sure how much to feed them. The TOTW says 2+ cups a day and my old stuff says 1 1/2. Both weigh between 10 and 12lbs. I dont want to feed them too much, but I want to make sure they are getting enough. Anyone have suggestions? thanks

Each brand of food will advise to feed differing amounts due to the different ingredients in them. I would part go off what the pack tells you but also use your own judgement. If you feel it better giving 1 1/2 try that for the moment and build it up if needs be :)

hi we have husky who had real bad stools,,,, like water,,,,, had tests all ok,,,,,, only time she was solid was wen she was on chicken and rice and fish and potatoe,,,, tried a few foods for sencitive tums,,,,,, no luck,,,,, a breeder local to me recommended ARDEN GRANGE,,....WOW wat a change,,,, saskia has that and a bit of raw lamb mince almost solid in less than 3 days!!!!!