Starting off skootering

steph

First of all im going to have to register myself on here and stop using stephs log in, ha ha. (Its Paul, Stephs Finace)

I have always fancied doing this ever since i got Oscar but was just wondering where to start realy? near our home we have a forestry road that is used as a down hill mountain biking track on occasion and though that would be a great place to take oscar as everywhere else i take him for a walk is pedestrianised.

The main things i wanted to know is would one husky be able to pull me and a scooter or would i have 2 wait till he get another one?

also what type of lead would i have to have and how often would people recommend doing it? i was thinking of every weekend?

any advice would be great!

Thanks

Paul

best advice i can give you for starting is to go look at the snowpaws website..they have info on just about everything, from measuring your dog for a harness, to equipment, diet etc (and of course costs)

if your dog isnt kc registered, your racing will be limited somewhat, but the exercise it/they get will be amasing.

the last thing i will point out is that some (if not all these days) forestry commision districts expect you to buy a permit to run the dogs this way, its much the same as a horse riding permit, a bit unfair when so many people dont bother, but i felt for me it was at least best to know where i was allowed to run them, and for the commision to be aware i was

You could to go to snowpaw store & get a shock absorber as you need some kind of shock absorber. . you can attach your lead to that or get a 1-dog line or if your thinking of running 2 get a 2-dog line. We run ours mainly @ weekends with an occasional weekday run. You shouldn't need to feed a high protein food unless your dog is running alot & often.

is there any way you could put a link up of the line i would need and the harness you would recommend? i have a walking harness already but i dont think that is any good for him, also i have read that the "X" harness is no goo as they can back out of them and they recommend a "H" harness? but i cant find anywhere that sells them? also would you recommend getting a rig or a scooter?

Here is the snowpaw link, has all the items you will need, CARIBINER to attach to scooter & your LINE/ LINES, X BACK harnesses. TUG LINES. The H harnesses you can get from Forstal husky kennel if you want their number let me know & i can post it. I use the x- back harnesses & have had no problems with reversing out of them. I use the H ones sometimes too, but see no difference,our sibe kavik runs better in the x harness too.

http://www.snowpawstore.co.uk/

great advice added to reps

I have started my boys on a bike, ran Kimba on a scooter and he loved it :D

As he's only young, start training the commands now - Gee, Haw, HIKE and most importantly.......WOAHHHH lol you can do this when walking and they soon pick it up :up:

good tip for starting out, have someone your husky knows bike ahead and call them, then encourage the dog to 'get them' (the prase we used with kira) they pic it up really quick that way, start practicing the commands while walking aswell as its hard to learn these while scootering, as you have little or no control over direction.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to find just the information I was looking for. I have been thinking about getting a scooter or something so that Misty can do what huskies were born to do (except just all look so beautful - hehe)

We took her to a place near us called Cannock Chase at the weekend as we heard that they hold husky races there from October to March every year. She loved the place and met some new husky friends too which was great to see.

Does anyone know anything more about the permit that was mentioned at the beggining of this thread?

Cheers,

Barny.

First of all you need to make sure you have liability insurance, best way to get this is to register with SHCGB http://www.siberianhuskyclub.com/

Permits are hard to come by in certain areas and you may need to add yourself to a waiting list. If you don't have a permit you can't run - there are permits for different areas for example you would need a different permit to train at Sherwood forest for example.