Lead Walking

Wayne

Hi,

How do you teach a husky to walk on a lead properly without pulling?

I can't walk Suka on the lead without there being a little slack on the lead. Its always pulled tight by her and so I find myself walking wonky and its really annoying.

Then there are the other times where she will lay down in the street infront of everyone if we don't go in the direction she wants to go. Of course I have to pull the lead but she won't budge, she's like a dead weight and with me pulling on the lead it makes me look like an animal abuser lol

I have to take her to the park and let her off the lead which shes pretty good, she comes back but she goes in every pond and every bog and has to be bathed after nearly everytime.

It'd be nice to be able to keep her on the lead to stop this but the pulling gets really annoying.

I've tried Halti's, I've tried pulling the lead but nothing works, she just pulls and pulls. It's got to the point where I hardly take her out anymore as I can't be doing with being pulled to the side everytime or bathing her.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

have you tried changing direction everytime the lead goes tight? I tried this menthod with Gizmo and it really worked wonders and he did get to the stage where he would walk on a loose lead :) He does pull now but thats down to me not keeping it up and letting him get away with it again!

Basically all you need to do is take her like you normally do and as soon as she pulls the lead tight, you change direction straight away. Yes it will take ALOT of patience and yes it can be VERY frustraiting as you may find you spend the entire walk time walking in and out of your front door but its worth it! If she is food driven take along her favourite treats and just carry them in your pocket and see if she picks up on the small and she may just follow you (I will admit that wont help her much as you would have to carry treat every time to get her walking on a lookse lead)

Another thing to consider is getting a walking belt. I think for pulling dogs they are brilliant! It wont stop the pulling but does make it a whole lot easier to walk them. I got mine (and just got jamie one too) from here - http://kisi.co.uk/walkingbelts.html

You can also get them from culpeppers and SnowPawstore -

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogue/?_Culpep=52739852A4A8QbkXoQA&cat=backpacksandbags

http://www.snowpawstore.com/dog-walking/dog-walking-belts.html

You can't teach a husky to properly walk on the lead lol.

Of course, I am kidding. I am sure you can... with some huskies.

So let's see... I couldn't walk Kremlin in a collar because he would pull so hard and choke. The harness was an improvement. but far from perfect, especially when in larger groups. When it's just me and Kremlin, he walks reasonably well. What I do is to stop if the leash becomes tensioned and leave when he sits. Or change the direction if he pulls, but as I said, if it's just the two of us, it's okay.

So we are still practicing, but if there are more than 2 persons along his walk, he becomes hysterical and unless you have treats, it's very hard if not impossible to properly walk him. He WALKS us. We are also practicing this at obedience, but unfortunately, we are now taking a break, as we are on vacation for a while.

Good luck!

Great answer Amy Added to Rep ;)

Greys pulls so much when out for a walk and takes me for the walk so im going to try what you said Amy and see how we go with that, but I did have a coller on Grey but changed to harness cause he would near enough choke himself to death pulling so hard and the harness did make it a little easier but will look into that walking belt and lots of treats when out :D

My boys pull my arms off every time if they're on a short leash, i've found if i walk them on the extending leads they feel like they have more freedom and wander back and forth without pulling half as much - all well and good if you're not next to the road though!

Sam used to pull like mad but he`s calmed down now that ive got a halti. He has the Halti on while we`re walking to the field on a short lead and just keeps up with my pace but when i get to the field i just connect the extending lead to his collar because when he pulls tight the halti seems to ride up and get close to his eye.Im thinking of trying a `Canny Collar`which fastens under the dogs mouth and pulls the head into the chest when they pull.Has anybody tried one with huskies

it's a work in progress with us...she does pull, but nowhere near as bad as a few months ago. We started on a harness and i couldn't control her, we now have her on a normal flat collar (but attached to her harness via a halti link - i don't trust collars!!) and this has improved it ten fold. There was not much i did so i can't advise with that...it just kinda happened, i mean i must have done something, but i can't remember!! Puppy classes did help, and we're still doing them now.

sorry if none of that helped!!

Hi

We have some success with Max (10 months) to the extent he will walk a lot of the time withut pulling - but there are exceptions. What worked was:

1. Clicker training to heel command and loads of treats when he walks to heel

2. changing direction when he pulls

3. Doing all of the above for over 6 months on every walk!

Exceptions:

1. If more than one person he has to lead and pull

2. If he sees another dog, sheep, rabbit, cat, cow, penguin...or whatever.

3. If he is feeling that way out!

So some success but more to do.

Cheers

Andy

The best way to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash - and it can be done with ANY dog irregardless of breed - is to teach them that pulling doesn't get them where they want to go.

I find the easiest and fastest way to do this is the change of direction technique rewarding the dog when they are in the correct position. I also find it useful to teach focus work so you can get their attention if they get distraction, the 'look' command is a good basic one to start with.

Dogs only pull because we've taught them that pulling gets them where they want to go. This why your best bet is to start teaching your dog from puppy hood that they can't tension in the leash = not going anywhere. Once we've allowed a pup to grow up learning that pulling is an effective way for them to get what they want they grow into a bigger, stronger adult dog who has the same habit - but still, there is no reason an adult dog can't be taught to walk nicely on a leash.

have you tried changing direction everytime the lead goes tight? I tried this menthod with Gizmo and it really worked wonders and he did get to the stage where he would walk on a loose lead :) He does pull now but thats down to me not keeping it up and letting him get away with it again!

Basically all you need to do is take her like you normally do and as soon as she pulls the lead tight, you change direction straight away. Yes it will take ALOT of patience and yes it can be VERY frustraiting as you may find you spend the entire walk time walking in and out of your front door but its worth it! If she is food driven take along her favourite treats and just carry them in your pocket and see if she picks up on the small and she may just follow you (I will admit that wont help her much as you would have to carry treat every time to get her walking on a lookse lead)

this is what we did for micha, and it worked, it does take a lot of patience, but it worked for us.

for saskia we got a lupi (anti pull harness) this works, untill she spots something interesting, then i have to pull her a little to get her attention.

its a shame you cant walk off and leave your pest their.

when micha used to refuese to leave the park, we left her there and walked off through the gate, she soon followed us.

be positive, be calm, and try to make it fun. try to get your husky out walking and vary the route you walk, bored huskys are a pain in the arse, they are destructive and disobedient.

we took our 2 to a new place today, you should have seen their faces light up, somewhere new they didnt know.

of course cant go back their, as there are horses.