Huskies and cats

madisonsmum

Hello - we do not have a cat and we rescued our husky at 2.5yrs so not experienced, however - I agree with Sqwidge in that huskies can live with cats under supervision (and only from when husky is a pup) - as I know my husky Zeus goes for cats on a regular basis (there is one next door!). Given the chance I think Zeus would be licking his lips thinking "dinner time"!!!

Welcome to the forum... good choice in going for a husky. Plently of fun and plenty of hardwork!

Thanks for the reply. Its so confusing! lol. Its nice to hear from Husky owners and not people that dont own a husky! The pup we will buy is going to be around 8 weeks old, and Im hoping that by asserting myself and training etc that they will get on well.

I have read so many mixed things about cats and huskies! live fine / will kill etc etc.

I would just like advice from experienced husky owners.

Thanks again

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I have a cat - Bella, and she rules the roost in my house lol my boys, Kimba and Kaiser know this now - having learnt from a few scratched noses lol she was here before I got my boys and so they've grown up with her. Having said that i'd never leave them alone with her - like brothers and sisters, they can live together but need supervision :D

No problem. I would not personally get an adult husky with cats, but as you say, I think it's possible with a pup but strict training and supervision is a must. I'd hate to think something would happen either way and it being such a problem which would result in you a) loosing a cat or B) feeling the need to give up your new pup. Just remember you are the boss!

So - more importantly, when are you picking up your new bundle of joy? ;) This forum is a wealth of knowledge so do ask lots of questions. There are some very experienced husky owners here (lot more experienced than myself and it's been very helpful).

Looking forward to tracking your progress :D

we have 2 cats and recently rehomed 2 huskies we are slowly introduing the cats and huskies so far so good they had a face to face hello this morning with the huskies on the leads which went well (no cat casulaties)

but we have to say we would never leave them alone with the cats i think the temptation would be too much for suki and zack.

We got a cat when our Sibe was between 9 and 10. Bo and Kat are good friends, often sleeping on the same couch together - not always side by side, but together. They share a water bowl and often have to 'stand in line' behind the other for a drink.

Kat has not been declawed - knew he needed a defense of some type...Bo needed a couple of good swipes on his nose before he came to respect Kat.

Bo, and our lab/rottie cross (who is 6) know that Kat is "ours" and they must leave him alone.

Bo and Kat were never left alone until I could assure myself (and Kat! LOL) that things would be fine. It took about six months for me to trust Bo completely. He shows absolutely no interest in Kat whatsoever.

That said, you must know the tendencies of your husky and your cat before leaving them alone together. Be aware that your husky may do fine with a cat until that one day when it has decided "this could be fun" - for the cat's safety be absolutely certain of your huskies tendencies. I know Bo inside out and upside down - he's been with us for 14 plus years.....Also, don't miscalculate the cats tendencies...our Kat is a trouble maker at times. He'll sit under a chair a just wait for the lab/rottie to walk by. Then he'll hiss at the dog and quickly get up and come slowly into the room just in front of the dog (who patiently follows Kat into the room with his head hung low, showing his respect for Kat's authority) We've never had a problem. Not one scratch on Kat's head.

The name of the game is "complete knowledge of the tendencies of ALL the animals involved"

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cat - She owns the entire house... she's an old stubborn thing that made introducing Tala very hard lol

Initially when we brought Tala home the cat just stayed away from the kitchen and us lol We got punished by her for about a week, then when she realised Tala was staying she started invading the kitchen and smacking Tala everytime she came near her - to the point Tala would run away when she saw the cat. I would never leave the cat and Tala alone but they do get on together now - though the cat does occasionally bully Tala (Im not actually joking when I say that she chases Tala around in the backgarden.....). Its now been 7 weeks we have had Tala and they are actually tolerating each other - they lay near each other in the garden and there is minimal smacking on the cats side.

All I did was to just let them get on with it (supervised of course!) I didn't try to force anything as I feared it could cause hang ups and problems (i.e. holding the cat and forcing it to meet the pup could cause anxieties and make the intros more stressful than they need to be)

Hiya, we have a cat and the pups meet her from day one, Lunar submits to the cat for now the cat is boss all lunar wants to do is play with the cat but if the cats want her away she boxs her (no claws out) and the pup goes, shes also learnt not to run instead she walks slowly but as everyone said i would'nt put them in a room together on there own as all it would take is the pup to get too excited for things to go to far plus its not fair on the cat to have this mad white thing running round her.

I have a pic somewhere of them laying together though

No, we don't have cats. Any cat foolish enough to venture in our garden would probably last 30 seconds if hes lucky.

I wouldn't ever trust a sibe with any small animal they could fit in their mouth if Im honest, I have come across too many examples of what the result was even in cases where both had previously cohabited for years in some cases, and my honest opinion is those with both only have both because the sibes not eaten the cat....yet :confused:

One sibe under constant supervision you might just get away with, but the more sibes you have, the greater the chance their basic prey instincs will one day kick in :eek:

We have a cat thats about 13 yrs old, Kaiya is 4 months old..... they don't play. Kaiya is interested in the cat and wants to meet him, but the cat is having no part of it. Currently the cat has his own room and the entire basement, Kaiya is kept out of both of those areas. I doubt they will ever be friends, but I think Kaiya understands that the cat is not to be touched. Although we'll never test that theory.

always exception to the rules

Pack Leader:There are always exception to the rules but i would worry about the husky thinking it "game". I am sure there are a lot of husky owners with cats also but i wouldn't leave either of them alone. When cats get defensive and/or fight they often go for the eyes with their claws. Now Cats have dirty claws and god forbid them to claw your dog in the eyes or almost anywhere in the face and get an infection.

Lana: LOL i know why my Alpha/Pack Leader say this because i escaped out the back yard and chased squirrel. I caught and my Pack Leader freaked out. We have a vet on base and my Pack Leader rushed me over there to only here that it's common "for Huskies , Akitas and other dogs to chase game or better know as prey. As long as they are vaccinated and show no signs of sickness they she will be fine. That doesnt mean its ok for her to chase them cause squirrels have a nasty bite"

My Alpha/Pack Leader does tons of research online about everything and/or ask his dad. Pack Leader told me to come here and look at the computer screen to say " see it's not good for you to chase animals even if you do think they are game".