Just Curious...

Has anyone ever heard of huskies being used as seizure response dogs? I've been reading up on these types of dogs because I have a nephew and an older brother who suffer from epilepsy and I started wondering if anyone has ever tried using huskies. I know huskies are very intelligent but they may be too prone to running off to be able to be relied on for this type of thing... Just curious... :)

How would you teach them something like that

I read a story about a shelter dog who became a seizure alert dog.. I read that it's usually a special 'gift' that certain dogs have, those special dogs will usually alert someone in some way without any special training. However, of course, there is a training program those gifted dogs go through. I don't know too much about the topic, but this what I read :)

ok spoke to the person who has the service husky

She's mobility service and psychiatric service dog.

But as far as I know, seizure alert dogs are very hard to come by. From what I've read it can't be trained or taught and dogs which are seizure alert dogs are natural alerters, usually dogs which were initially pets and started somehow giving the owner a cue without training.

I can't get your link to open on my phone right now,but can see the first sentence.

For anyone wanting advice on service dogs I strongly advice checking out these two websites-

Please don't pet me

And service dog central

All the info is there and trainers and people with seizure service dogs.

My personal opinion, I wouldn't trust a husky to reliably alert to oncoming seizures. They are mostly too aloof and prey driven. Most people aren't up to the challenge of the huge amount of training with te breed and balancing out the prey drive to help training and create a sound working animal.

But even given saying that, seizure alert as I understand is a natural alert, so a husky may do it well if it has the ability.

• 10 years later...

Yes, I actually have had one for almost 10 years.... it actually was natural for him. He went into action when I had a seizure after my accident. He went to a few training classes afterwards.  But most his training was already done by me. I had been training dogs for years. Now I needed one. He is the best. Tells me when to take my meds, go to bed... if I get stressed he immediately comes to me. If I need help getting up off the floor, furniture... he helps.