3 huskies

lolabell64

Anyone have 3 or more? We have a 7 year old male, his sister was killed in July. We are getting a 16monthold bossy female in a couple of weeks. We are also thinking of adding a 4 month old puppy to the mix..... we have had 2 for several years, and I know these dogs think the more the merrier, but are we out of our minds? Any advice appreciated!!

Laurie

I have three dogs (they aren't all Siberians, though) and if I were in your position I would wait until the 16 month old female has settled in before adding any other dogs into the mix. You said she's "bossy" - if that's the case it may take a while for her to settle into your pack. I'd wait and see how she got on with you, and your 7 year old male before considering adding anymore.

Three is a lot more than two, you only have two hands - how would you go walking three big, strong willed dogs like huskies together? Think of three times the poo, three times the training (especially with a pup!) three times the effort and commitment and time. Once you go from two to three you have much more of a pack.

I know these dogs think the more the merrier, but are we out of our minds? Any advice appreciated!!

Laurie

Naaaah! We've got 12 of them (soon to be 13) and we're completely sane (or at least - as sane as anyone with huskies can be!!).

Mick

I would love to have more huskies, our dream is to buy a big house with a big garage (for the motorbikes) & a huge garden (for the pack)!! One small point - we do have to win the lottery first!

I tend to agree with smeagle (Bec), to have 3 at totally different stages of life (boisterous puppy, dominant female still quite young, & the calmer, older male) is quite a handful to cope with, but only you can answer that question.

If you go for it, all I can say is GOOD LUCK, but you know what you're letting yourself in for already having had 2 .... I'll watch this space to see what happens in your pack!! :D

I tend to agree with smeagle (Bec), to have 3 at totally different stages of life (boisterous puppy, dominant female still quite young, & the calmer, older male) is quite a handful to cope with, but only you can answer that question.

Just to clarify, I think it's good to have an age gap between them all, but that the OP should consider adding one at a time and waiting till each dog settles rather than adding two in close succession - especially considering one of the new dogs is a adolescent, dominant bitch. Adding two at the same time and suddenly going to three would be quite a challenge!

YIKES - i asked for it!! We have thought about adding one at a time, and general consensus agrees! We will have to see what happens - will keep you posted... Thanks, all!

Good luck - keep us posted :D

hes a spoil sport, just like my wife.

i would love pack

Yeah wanna do a wife swap ?? lol

i keep going back in forth - yes, 2 more, no, just one..... i would love to have a dozen of them, but would first have to rig the lottery so i can buy some major property!! We are both complete pushovers when it comes to this fun-loving breed, I just don't know if our yard (or what's left of it!) can handle.... will probably change my mind a hundred times during the next week - who knows - i might be rich by then and will bring them all home!!!!