how to make your husky sleep

Tasha

Princess is too excited to sleep. She will curl up and relax, but at red lights she gets up and looks around to see where we are. Adam, my old bloodhound mix would curl up and sack out until you got where you were going.

Ever change the channel on the TV and have one give you a dirty look like I was watching that and then leave the room???

Ours fall asleep almost instantly once they get into their cages in the van. They have an unerring instinct for waking up about five minutes before we arrive at our destination. It makes long journeys very easy.

Mick

lol my 3 have got the idea that a ride together in the car usually means they are going for a long walk (or as recently found out, going camping) so usually on the way they will be really excited! However when we went to the camping trip we had them all in their crates and me and daniel had taken them for a long walk so they were well behaved and settled down almost instantly.

If they havent had a walk though they can be very unsettled and rather a nightmare. Now we have the van though we have room for all 3 crates so hopefully they would be more settled now as long as they have had a walk before hand.

• 1 month later...

Pack Leader : Lana falls asleep when grooming her with the clippers. Because i live in Louisiana i have her a bikini cut. (Cut her tummy hair really short so she can cool off better in the house, but do not touch her chest bold) I you clippers to get the hair that is just out pass her paws pads. She will flop down and be like " yes now pamper me more"

Garres will lay down and sleep as soon as the truck starts. He will sometimes pop his head over the side when we stop at traffic lights, but not often.

Kane on the other hand has to be "cross tied" or crated while in the truck because he hangs over the bed and scares me to death lol He loves going for rides.

Funny that this question came up -- I just learned this about Dakota last week when I tried to take him camping for the first time. A group of us always do a 12-hour mountain bike relay and camp the night before. We arrived at the campground exhausted around 10 p.m., and, once I got the tent set up, I was more than ready to have a nice sleep with my normally snuggly husky. Well, Dakota was having no part of that. He was thrashing around in the tent, throwing himself against the walls, laying on his side and screaming, batting me with his paws, it was crazy. I even tried opening the tent completely and laying with our heads out (to no avail). So, finally, after fighting with him for about an hour and waking up half the campground, I decided to just throw him in the Jeep with the intent of driving him home (1 hour) and just coming back without him in the morning. I was so tired I wasn't even going to change out of my pajamas. He hopped up in the passenger seat, and, by the time I could get around to the driver's side and put the key in the ignition, he was curled up in a ball on the seat sound asleep. For awhile, I was afraid to move, so I just sorta pulled the terrycloth seatcover around me and started to doze before I realized I was cold. I eventually got up, got my sleeping bag and his bed, and we slept the night in the Jeep!

He seemed to be just fine, but I was a little worse for wear the next day. A friend snapped this shot of us in between my laps at the bike race the next day. After his shenanigans at the camp site, I do NOT feel guilty for hogging his bed!!)

stealing_kotas_bed.jpg

Oh, and after the race? Night 2 at the campsite? Dakota went right into the tent and curled up for the night without a peep.

Sometimes there's just no figuring them out!

Oh, and as for him waking up the campground the night before? Well, his "screaming" was so undoglike that everybody was up the next morning complaining about "the crying baby." I just kept my mouth shut! ;)

Bo has an affinity to facing backwards in the truck - he doesn't care where he is going to, just wants to know where he's been. It's funny to watch the driver behind us, especially if they have kids.... they'll wave and wave at him.

If he does lay down, he has to get up and look to see where he's at - at every corner. But sleep, no. Not unless the trip is over an hour - then he'll wear himself out and take a nap.