Help!!!!!

Its happened:confused: Went into a small shop to buy a wkd and tied the 2 up outside, the shop keeper said are they friendly, i said "yes" BUT the balck and white one (Alaska) doesn't like her head being touched, i even said "its prob best if you stroke the boy" >>> so im giving another guy the money for my drink and i turn around to find him dangling his fingers over Alaskas head....:confused::confused: She barked and snapped at his fingers and her tooth managed to get 2 of his fingers:( No harm done, no blood but he did feel it!!To me it was more of a warning bark/bite but he nearly missed her whole mouth, she then looked him dead in the eyes and barked/growled at him >>>>> Buy she did this 'cos she is intimediated by men... No exuse of course and im super lucky the guy was good natured and even luaghed >> he said in Turkey all dogs are like that! I have a muzzel for her but i dont want to put it on my baby Alaski:icon9:

So i semi solve and her dog aggression, and the other day she played with a male staffy on the lead (so proud of her) and now this:( Any advice would be great, im going to start looking for trainers but im gonna need a really proffesh one...anyone know of any? Im prepared to pay whats needed as long as their excellent with good reps.....................

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry cant help youout on this one, we're way north of you! Bet your heart was in your mouth....

Guess for now all you can is ensure they are never left unattended in public to avoid any further issues. If i hear of any good trainers down south i'll pass details on, fingers crossed someone on here will know of someone your way.

Glad to hear she is getting on better with other dogs, well done you...your hard work is obviously paying off :)

I agree with Lucy, you've obviously done a lot of work with her already :up:

I'm way north of you as well but if i hear of anyone I will let you know.

Lucky escape for that guy then - stupid prat should have listened to what he was told lol

I agree with Lucy, you've obviously done a lot of work with her already :up:

I'm way north of you as well but if i hear of anyone I will let you know.

Lucky escape for that guy then - stupid prat should have listened to what he was told lol

lol i know im half pissed at the guy!! Alaska is a dog, shes not human and doesn't understand a word we say, she gave him all the dog body language to suggest she is un-interested in him, then when het got closer she backed off clearly saying im not comfortable and then looking him dead in the eye..well that says it all!! But i cant keep sticking up for her, on her plus side she loves woman and children and would never harm a kid >> but then i thought she would never bite.....I might go to the police station and ask if their officers who train their GSD's do any private work.

I'd be with Lucy on that one though, I wouldn't go near the police. I'm not sure really that you want a pet to be trained by a police dog handler, they're very different training methods I would have thought.

I know it must have been very worrying for you, and scary but I don't think that she did too much wrong. She doesn't like the top of her head being touched, you warned the man not to do it, he ignored you. You know the issues that she has, and you try to take preventative measures. I agree that it would be good to do some work with her to try and resolve any issues, but honestly, why can't people listen??? She is a dog, there may be no rhyme nor reason for why she behaves like that, but she is an animal, and I think people forget that sometimes with pet dogs, animals can be unpredictable (although actually in this case, she was acting predictably LOL)

Best of luck with it.

Oh dont worry i wont, i'll simply ask if their officers do private work as i have a intelligent, powerful, independant dog that needs a pro lol I know im only talking about little laska but we forget that sibes are big dogs, their strong and could pull you over if wanted, their bites are fatal with a perfect scissor bite and amazing jaw strength, their determined, highly intelligent and somewhat aloof >>> people look at this fluffy, cute blue eyed dog and think OH "harmless" >> but they couldn't be far from it!!!

A few years ago when we didn't have dogs the police on our area were training peoples dogs for 5 for 10 sessions and half the money went to a children charity..so i just hope they have other schemes going on

I'd be with Lucy on that one though, I wouldn't go near the police. I'm not sure really that you want a pet to be trained by a police dog handler, they're very different training methods I would have thought.

I know it must have been very worrying for you, and scary but I don't think that she did too much wrong. She doesn't like the top of her head being touched, you warned the man not to do it, he ignored you. You know the issues that she has, and you try to take preventative measures. I agree that it would be good to do some work with her to try and resolve any issues, but honestly, why can't people listen??? She is a dog, there may be no rhyme nor reason for why she behaves like that, but she is an animal, and I think people forget that sometimes with pet dogs, animals can be unpredictable (although actually in this case, she was acting predictably LOL)

Best of luck with it.

Thanks Karen, i see what your saying, if i went to the country and a few collies growled at me (which has happened) the owners would probably shrug it off, a lot of country dogs are agressive...but i need Alaska to know she can feel safe with me and doesn't have to act in such a way >> the city is busy and full of people that dont tend to shrug things off >> i know in the dog world what Alaska did was perfectly acceptable:rolleyes: I will look into the police training but i will investigate it properly and ask how they would intend to train her, if its not rightfor her i just wont do it:)

Sorry I have no advice cause Im really not sure on this one but defo have a word with the police and find out if they do privat training training.

I know she did bite but the bloody man did ignor what you said (dont like her head being touched) and Im not being funny but I wouldnt go waving my fingers around if I saw a Dog looking me straight in the eye and growling.

I hope you find a great trainer and do keep us posted on how Alaska gets on but by the sound of it you have worked hard at getting her out of bad habbits befor this. :D

Thanks Mary ya big fag;) lol i know you should have seen how she was looking in his eyes, thats when i though "hmmm" But she had never bitten or went for ever so it never crossed my mind she would do that! I will keep you all posted with her>> huff troublesome girl!!! Just gave her a fish mackeral and she turned her nose up at it..it seems if its not tinned shes not interested >> im gonna video it 2moz...all that will be going down now is that bloody mackeral lol

Thanks Mary ya big fag;) lol i know you should have seen how she was looking in his eyes, thats when i though "hmmm" But she had never bitten or went for ever so it never crossed my mind she would do that! I will keep you all posted with her>> huff troublesome girl!!! Just gave her a fish mackeral and she turned her nose up at it..it seems if its not tinned shes not interested >> im gonna video it 2moz...all that will be going down now is that bloody mackeral lol

What the hell is a big fag???????????? LOL you got me really confussed now :confused:

What the hell is a big fag???????????? LOL you got me really confussed now :confused:

Oh Mary dont be confused lol:

http://www.24dash.com/media/image/2008/04/09/2963/180_Image_PA_cigarette_butt_trafalgar_square_edited.jpg

There is a ex Police dog handler who takes on cases in Kent, if you want I can pass over the details

YES please, that would be very helpful:) added to rep

I've heard tonnes of bad things about this guy, apparently he's a total fraud.

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/97/k9-magazine-dog-listener-stan-rawlinson-an-apology/

I will ask some of the trainers/behaviourists I know Ice and see if they know anyone in the UK that they can recommend.

It's bloody hard to find a good trainer especially if you just go by their websites, anyone can market themselves and talk themselves up so they sound good but whether or not they know what they are doing is another matter altogether.

On the issue of Alaska's behaviour with the guy, I totally agree he's an idiot for ignoring your request not to pat her BUT it's still a very serious issue - what if a kid came up to her when she was tied outside the store and pat her? For now I would actually never leave her untied like that without supervision as you just don't know who might walk up and pat her.

I've heard tonnes of bad things about this guy, apparently he's a total fraud.

http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/97/k9-magazine-dog-listener-stan-rawlinson-an-apology/

I will ask some of the trainers/behaviourists I know Ice and see if they know anyone in the UK that they can recommend.

It's bloody hard to find a good trainer especially if you just go by their websites, anyone can market themselves and talk themselves up so they sound good but whether or not they know what they are doing is another matter altogether.

On the issue of Alaska's behaviour with the guy, I totally agree he's an idiot for ignoring your request not to pat her BUT it's still a very serious issue - what if a kid came up to her when she was tied outside the store and pat her? For now I would actually never leave her untied like that without supervision as you just don't know who might walk up and pat her.

awww Thanks Bec..added to rep I would really appreciate that plus i dont mind to travel either! I know, im not exusing her at all, she should never feel the need to use her teeth on daily walks. In her defense every weekend we have tons of kids that live in the area >> they come and play with her , they pick her up, pat her head even pull her tail (i had to speak to the little boys mother who kept doing it tho) and she is fine..everywhere she turns about 15 kids screaming: "Alaska, Alaska" lol She laps it up, she loves kids, she has never put her teeth on a child, never stared them out, never jumped up at them... never showed fearful body language around them either >>>> honeslty she is as gentle as a lamb with kids, she even lets some women pat her head...it seems to just be men:confused:

Don't worry Ice, I know where you are coming from - you just never know what could happen when you leave your dogs tied up outside shops, it's why I don't do it with my dogs even though they've never shown any human aggression in their lives.

There was a particular case here where a little dog was tied up outside a store, some asshole walked by, STOLE the leash and left the dog running free - it was hit by a car and died. And I've heard numerous incidents where someone has had a kid kick/hit their dog, while the parents looked on - you just never know what could happen when you leave your dogs like that. She may be fine with most kids, but you just never know what one might do to antagonize her when you aren't there to supervise.

Waiting to hear back from some trainers I've contacted :)

Don't worry Ice, I know where you are coming from - you just never know what could happen when you leave your dogs tied up outside shops, it's why I don't do it with my dogs even though they've never shown any human aggression in their lives.

There was a particular case here where a little dog was tied up outside a store, some asshole walked by, STOLE the leash and left the dog running free - it was hit by a car and died. And I've heard numerous incidents where someone has had a kid kick/hit their dog, while the parents looked on - you just never know what could happen when you leave your dogs like that. She may be fine with most kids, but you just never know what one might do to antagonize her when you aren't there to supervise.

Waiting to hear back from some trainers I've contacted :)

Thanks Bec:rolleyes: I forgot there was another incident outside Tesco's with my mum >> my mum tied her up and came out to find she had slipped her harness and was on the other side of the road:eek: >> this group of men were where her harness was and they said they came to stroke her and she ran off >> my mum waited until the road was clear and called her >> apprently she looked really relieved to see my mum and ran to her, the group of men still wouldn't sod off and my mum had to say "look, she clearly doesn't want to be stroked, could you leave her alone now please!?!?!" SO i never tie her up in places like that anymore >> this shop was really small and i tied her so i could see her at the very front of the shop >> i though it would be okay:confused:

I know you can never say "never" but i honeslty can say she loves kids and when they are scared of her and some even scream and run away >> she doesn't chase them she just ignores them....so i pretty confident around children but i am always there with her... thanks again, i'll keep looking as that other guy sounds no good and will post up on here.........

....i turn around to find him dangling his fingers over Alaskas head....:confused::confused: She barked and snapped..... QUOTE]

While I know you've been working with Alaska, in this instance, I believe the individual is the one who caused this outburst.

People need to learn that the best way to approach ANY dog is with a flat hand and to approach the dog from under the chin, never over the head. The manner in which Alaska was approached played a huge role, IMHO, in her reaction.

I know it's easier said than done, but if only people would ASK PERMISSION to touch a dog before going ahead and doing so, and would understand how to properly approach a dog, it could stop incidents like this.